First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have ordered two Maverick Tremors, initially due to dealer constraint concerns (maybe if one dealer is constrained, an order at another will go thru), but now that it looks likely that both will go thru (one is scheduled for March 10th, other is waiting to be scheduled), I am thinking of giving one to my son who is out-of-state in Washington. He is driving a '96 Ford Explorer that has some doors that will not lock, a balky turn signal, and questionable brakes.

Since I cannot merely substitute him as the purchaser of the truck from the dealership (so I have been told), how can I arrange it so that double sales tax and car registration fees are not paid when I purchase the truck and then transfer it to him in Seattle (long drive for a visit)?

PS- changed one from Cactus Grey to Alto Blue so that we can tell the trucks apart.
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can't you just add him on the Title with You (i.e. John Sr and/or John Jr). Not sure how every states taxes are but in my case there wouldn't be double taxes on the purchase of the truck. My have to pay another states tag fees but surely not sales tax. Should be like moving from one state to another. ?????

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also in my case, my wife was not with me when i purchased the truck, the dealers electronically sent her the title and other paper work via docusign https://www.docusign.com/ easy as pie. just as legal as being there.

Timaysz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford explorer sport trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I lived in WI.. 25 years now in Northern IL
I know in Wisconsin a parent is allowed to gift their child a vehicle and no sales tax... It's easier if u and the child have the same last name thought if diffent last names u might have to show proof of relationship

Sponsored

OP
OP

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can title it in Washington at Son's address from NC dealer, even if he is not present at sale?

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems like he could set up the loan, if applicable, then you title it in both of your names, but do it for Washington state. could he not fly in if it becomes tricky? Then he could drive the vehicle back.

OP
OP

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
He is a student right now- not much loan capacity for a truck. I will pay the down payment and be responsible for the loan with expectation that he will contribute when he can.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For paperwork bill of sale I sold my F150 to my son for 1 dollar😁, he just had to buy a tag, title was reissued in his name

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For paperwork bill of sale I sold my F150 to my son for 1 dollar😁, he just had to buy a tag, title was reissued in his name
Washington will tax at fair market value on registration.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Washington will tax at fair market value on registration.
That is what I am afraid of- two sales taxes.

Recommendation of most here seems to be add son to title and register it in WA at son's address. Pay WA sales tax and title fees.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is what I am afraid of- two sales taxes.

Recommendation of most here seems to be add son to title and register it in WA at son's address. Pay WA sales tax and title fees.
My point was more that he can't claim it's worth very little, thereby altering the tax hit.

WA allows you to provide proof of payment of tax elsewhere as a credit to what you will owe, but just a heads up...I think I paid 10.6% on my purchase. So it's quite high.

More here: https://dor.wa.gov/forms-publicatio...-topics/vehicles-brought-washington-out-state

OP
OP

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
WA allows you to provide proof of payment of tax elsewhere as a credit to what you will owe, but just a heads up...I think I paid 10.6% on my purchase. So it's quite high.

More here: https://dor.wa.gov/forms-publicatio...-topics/vehicles-brought-washington-out-state
I saw that. The problem is that the credit is seemingly for sales tax that he, the Washington resident paid. If I buy the truck and then sell it to him, HE did not pay any sales tax, I did. So seemingly he would have to pay the sales tax again UNLESS he was a purchaser.

• Sad
Reactions: bgn

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like he is in college. Just registered in your name and state and let him use it as a student. When he graduates, transfer it to him after a year or gift it as graduation gift.
Rules are different if your an out of state student than a permanent residency.
I had three jobs in college and it hurt my grades, don’t pressure him to pay you. I was headstrong and refused my parents help, wish I didn’t waste time on minimum wage job and studied more instead.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can't ya just joint title it in both your names and in your state. Crap does WA make students pay taxes on vehicles etc just going to school there?
Sponsored