First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
35 years of working in large thermal coal power plants, I beg to differ. “Inter” means in between stages in this reference. You cool the charge from 1 stage only of compression….you aftercool…if you cool the charge between 2 separate stages of compression you Intercool. I have worked on 6 stage centrifugal compressors that multiple Intercoolers and an aftercooler located after compressor. Every P&ID of L* systems (IEEE) i have ever seen support this claim

1C52E92F-F620-4BA2-BD99-EC7C60CA020E.jpeg
Option A: You're right, and literally the entire world is using the wrong term on single-stage compressor setups.

Option B: You're mistaken, and the term "aftercooler" is only used in cases where theres two stage compression as the cooler "after" the first intercooler, just like in your example where there are two compressors or in my example with older aircraft that had similar setups.

Even in the case of A, there's clear consensus on the use of the term "intercooler" in the whole automotive industry where there's just one compressor stage, so its a bit moot anyway because all that matters is that people know what you are referring to.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is an air-to-air heat exchanger. It cools the compressed air, by transferring the heat to ambient air.
So the actual compressed air from the turbo flows through it?

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Much the same way radiator fluid flows through the radiator.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Much the same way radiator fluid flows through the radiator.
Radiator fluid removes heat from from the engine, but it's just a transfer medium for engine heat. What I am asking is if the intercooler is full of fluid that is a transfer medium or if the actual compressed air from the turbo flows through it.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I am asking is if the intercooler is full of fluid that is a transfer medium or if the actual compressed air from the turbo flows through it.
Intercooler is just compressed air… this diagram shows it pretty well
Ford Maverick Buschur's much need front mount intercooler for 2.0L underway! 43E2417D-E869-486D-99FC-FA3351106CB2

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What I am asking is if the intercooler is full of fluid that is a transfer medium or if the actual compressed air from the turbo flows through it.
Both exist, but this is a regular air-air intercooler. Air-water intercoolers are uncommon as they are expensive and more complicated needing a pump and two heat exchangers and everything. Usually only seen on luxury vehicles where its built that way from the get-go or on some drag racing setups.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's what might be a dumb question but I am not a mechanic:

Does this thing directly cool the compressed air from the turbo or is it full of coolant like the engine radiator?
The intercooler is full of compressed air from the turbo, the outside air blows through the core to cool that compressed/hot air.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, the compressed/hot air flows through the intercooler and then into the intake manifold/engine.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
35 years of working in large thermal coal power plants, I beg to differ. “Inter” means in between stages in this reference. You cool the charge from 1 stage only of compression….you aftercool…if you cool the charge between 2 separate stages of compression you Intercool. I have worked on 6 stage centrifugal compressors that multiple Intercoolers and an aftercooler located after compressor. Every P&ID of L* systems (IEEE) i have ever seen support this claim
Almost like different industries might refer to the same thing differently...

At least when I started learning automotive I'd heard it as justiz00 observed. "Intercooler" = air-to-air, "aftercooler" = air to water.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see some interest in vented BOV's on here and the Facebook. At stock boost, in stock form, have you noticed any compressor surge that would necessitate
the venting? With the increased volume of the intake tract now (with the larger intercooler), do you think that venting would cause noticeably increased lag?
The venting of the BOV, other than the noise it makes, has no other benefits.

Iceman88

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Charger 392 Widebody, 2022 Ford Maverick
One way around the warranty concerns would be to talk with your local dealer's service department manager, tell him what you're looking to do and as long as you have it installed there that dealer will typically work with you should a problem arise. YMMV
Look, I've worked in dealer service departments for a while now (Ford, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge, Chevrolet, Kia, Nissan) and as long as you are just not an a$$hole to your service advisor you'll generally be ok. Most car service customers are real sh!theads to advisors for no reason so if you be super nice to them, they will notice that and go out of their way to help you, trust me.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update. We got the engineering drawings today for the tanks and approved them. So they will be under way. The inlet/outlets which are a little more complex need to be CNC'd. The project is coming along though!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.