First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well I headed out about 9 days ago for an urban tactical school and wanted to really put the Maverick to the test.

The specs on the truck.
2022 Maverick, 2.0EB, FX4 with tow package

MODS:
Rear air bags for towing
Buschur's Catch Can
Buschur's 3" intake
Buschur's 3" cat back exhaust
Buschur's front mount intercooler
Buschur's/HP Tuners tune
Toyo Open Country A/T tires, 31" tall

The trip was from Ohio to New Mexico. I ended up traveling a total of 3350 miles.

Previous to this with a few less mods and the stock tires/wheels I got a best MPG, confirmed of 30.3 MPG, dash registered 31.3 mpg. That was mixed driving, mostly highway, some just cruising at 55 mph.

NEGATIVES
First night I planned to just sleep in truck for most of the trip. I'm 5'9", I didn't realize just how narrow the truck is, no way to stretch out at all. The back seat is much more "formed" than I had realized too. Highly recommend NOT sleeping in this truck. I got enough rest to not fall asleep at the wheel the next day but it's not a Expedition with a mattress in the back! haha I got a hotel the rest of the trip.

The fuel milage took a hit with the larger tires, which I knew would happen. The dyno alone it lost 30+ wheel horsepower from the added weight of the tires. I kept track on the way back, drove 1621 miles (Odometer is off 3 mph, haven't got the tire sized perfect yet in the ECU) in 22:12, giving me an average speed of 72.85 mph. There were times I cruised at 100 mph, most of the trip I drove 9 mph over the speed limit where I always do. MPG average was 24.2 mpg. Not bad for as hard as I drove but a long way from 30 mpg. There were a few times on the way out that I was off on old RT66 and drove 55 mph and did see 28'ish. This truck, to obtain 30 mpg, needs to be driven easy at 55-60 mph.

POSITIVES

The ride is excellent, I had some rough roads and when I got to where I was going had to travel over some wash board gravel roads, at slow speeds it was rough, leaving I drove about 45 mph just to test the suspension and was really-really happy with how it smoothed the road out. I drove that same speed through some large dips and rises in the road just to see how the suspension handled it, doing this would cause the larger tires, in the front, to bottom out, it needs a 1" leveling kit.

The performance with all the parts and tuning we've added is excellent. I even had to drop down to 87 octane (tuning has been on 93) and had zero issues. I had a few instances on the highway with overly aggressive douche bags (I fit that category) and they ended up in drag races to whatever hole we were trying to get to, Maverick won each one, it runs great! Crossing heavy traffic, it rips! Super happy with the performance.

Reality is, other than sleeping in the back seat being completely miserable, I'm very happy with this truck, I did buy a vehicle and not a hotel though.

The exhaust, AMAZING!!! Probably the best exhaust we've done here for any particular application in 20 years. At no time did I have an issue with drone, noise or being annoyed and this truck has the secondary cat deleted with a resonator there. The exhaust truly is PERFECT, getting on it under under passes or town it sounds delicious.

Last, I was coming back through late yesterday in the Indianapolis area and smelled oil. I thought it was the guy in front of me or something. I got off at Pilot to get fuel and decided I'd check the catch can. Previous to this we'd get a little bit out of the can but not much. I grabbed a large coffee in a styrofoam cup with one extra cup to drain it, incase there was something in it. I took the drain cap off and the fluid POURED out of the can, the cup was probably 12 ounce and it was nearly filled with dark tan fluid when all of a sudden it got light. I looked down to see the entire bottom of the cup gone! I let it finish draining, wasn't much left, and re-capped it. Then smelled my fingers, smelled like gas, then rubbed them together and could feel the oil in it. I was hoping to take a picture of whatever came out of the can but obviously that was impossible. I'd venture to guess the can was completely full. Once back on the road the smell was gone, I will have to check it more ofter. So driving on the highway, it went from empty to full in about 3350 miles. With our brand new intercooler on the truck I'm sure glad I had the can, last thing I want is all that shit in the intercooler.

FUTURE

The plan now is to finish up our tuning for this package, get some performance numbers/results and then we will go onto the next parts, which will be catted downpipes and a turbo upgrade. I'm also going to swap the stock tires back on, these large tires were a big deficit to the performance and the milage. Since we are in this for the performance mostly, it's hurting the truck.

Great vehicle, was really comfortable, no issues being in it yesterday for 16+ hours straight.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Ford Maverick Buschur's long road trip with the shop Maverick XLT.  Pics/data/review IMG-1159
Ford Maverick Buschur's long road trip with the shop Maverick XLT.  Pics/data/review IMG_0441
Sponsored

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Great write up, also not shocked at your results as I know you put thought into what you are doing with the mods, of course by the time you are done I may have to setup a "dark" account so the admiral can't figure out what I am spending!

Any thoughts on the throttle body?

Deleted member 9167

Great post! Only thing I really miss from my previous cars is the range per tank. My diesel VW could go over 600 miles per tank and even my gas VW could go over 400. I'm averaging 26mpg and struggle to get over 400. Otherwise like you, I have no complaints!

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice. Amzed to hear that you got that decent of mileage. I honestly have never gotten more than 22-24 in any car. Im curious how my aggressive style will pan out.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks

Sponsored

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well I headed out about 9 days ago for an urban tactical school and wanted to really put the Maverick to the test.

The specs on the truck.
2022 Maverick, 2.0EB, FX4 with tow package

MODS:
Rear air bags for towing
Buschur's Catch Can
Buschur's 3" intake
Buschur's 3" cat back exhaust
Buschur's front mount intercooler
Buschur's/HP Tuners tune
Toyo Open Country A/T tires, 31" tall

The trip was from Ohio to New Mexico. I ended up traveling a total of 3350 miles.

Previous to this with a few less mods and the stock tires/wheels I got a best MPG, confirmed of 30.3 MPG, dash registered 31.3 mpg. That was mixed driving, mostly highway, some just cruising at 55 mph.

NEGATIVES
First night I planned to just sleep in truck for most of the trip. I'm 5'9", I didn't realize just how narrow the truck is, no way to stretch out at all. The back seat is much more "formed" than I had realized too. Highly recommend NOT sleeping in this truck. I got enough rest to not fall asleep at the wheel the next day but it's not a Expedition with a mattress in the back! haha I got a hotel the rest of the trip.

The fuel milage took a hit with the larger tires, which I knew would happen. The dyno alone it lost 30+ wheel horsepower from the added weight of the tires. I kept track on the way back, drove 1621 miles (Odometer is off 3 mph, haven't got the tire sized perfect yet in the ECU) in 22:12, giving me an average speed of 72.85 mph. There were times I cruised at 100 mph, most of the trip I drove 9 mph over the speed limit where I always do. MPG average was 24.2 mpg. Not bad for as hard as I drove but a long way from 30 mpg. There were a few times on the way out that I was off on old RT66 and drove 55 mph and did see 28'ish. This truck, to obtain 30 mpg, needs to be driven easy at 55-60 mph.

POSITIVES

The ride is excellent, I had some rough roads and when I got to where I was going had to travel over some wash board gravel roads, at slow speeds it was rough, leaving I drove about 45 mph just to test the suspension and was really-really happy with how it smoothed the road out. I drove that same speed through some large dips and rises in the road just to see how the suspension handled it, doing this would cause the larger tires, in the front, to bottom out, it needs a 1" leveling kit.

The performance with all the parts and tuning we've added is excellent. I even had to drop down to 87 octane (tuning has been on 93) and had zero issues. I had a few instances on the highway with overly aggressive douche bags (I fit that category) and they ended up in drag races to whatever hole we were trying to get to, Maverick won each one, it runs great! Crossing heavy traffic, it rips! Super happy with the performance.

Reality is, other than sleeping in the back seat being completely miserable, I'm very happy with this truck, I did buy a vehicle and not a hotel though.

The exhaust, AMAZING!!! Probably the best exhaust we've done here for any particular application in 20 years. At no time did I have an issue with drone, noise or being annoyed and this truck has the secondary cat deleted with a resonator there. The exhaust truly is PERFECT, getting on it under under passes or town it sounds delicious.

Last, I was coming back through late yesterday in the Indianapolis area and smelled oil. I thought it was the guy in front of me or something. I got off at Pilot to get fuel and decided I'd check the catch can. Previous to this we'd get a little bit out of the can but not much. I grabbed a large coffee in a styrofoam cup with one extra cup to drain it, incase there was something in it. I took the drain cap off and the fluid POURED out of the can, the cup was probably 12 ounce and it was nearly filled with dark tan fluid when all of a sudden it got light. I looked down to see the entire bottom of the cup gone! I let it finish draining, wasn't much left, and re-capped it. Then smelled my fingers, smelled like gas, then rubbed them together and could feel the oil in it. I was hoping to take a picture of whatever came out of the can but obviously that was impossible. I'd venture to guess the can was completely full. Once back on the road the smell was gone, I will have to check it more ofter. So driving on the highway, it went from empty to full in about 3350 miles. With our brand new intercooler on the truck I'm sure glad I had the can, last thing I want is all that shit in the intercooler.

FUTURE

The plan now is to finish up our tuning for this package, get some performance numbers/results and then we will go onto the next parts, which will be catted downpipes and a turbo upgrade. I'm also going to swap the stock tires back on, these large tires were a big deficit to the performance and the milage. Since we are in this for the performance mostly, it's hurting the truck.

Great vehicle, was really comfortable, no issues being in it yesterday for 16+ hours straight.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

IMG-1159.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg
Wild regarding the amount of fluid in the can; did you check if the engine oil levels dropped? I’m told changing the oil every 3k takes care of the fluid problems yet your report tells another story…..

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great write up, also not shocked at your results as I know you put thought into what you are doing with the mods, of course by the time you are done I may have to setup a "dark" account so the admiral can't figure out what I am spending!

Any thoughts on the throttle body?
What do you mean about the throttle body?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wild regarding the amount of fluid in the can; did you check if the engine oil levels dropped? I’m told changing the oil every 3k takes care of the fluid problems yet your report tells another story…..
Engine oil wasn't down much if any, most of what was in there was apparently fuel laced with oil. The oil being changed won't effect what's caught in the catch can.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Engine oil wasn't down much if any, most of what was in there was apparently fuel laced with oil. The oil being changed won't effect what's caught in the catch can.
Thank you. Am I correct that your can uses steel wool instead of baffles to trap particulates?

Stageleft

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru outback sport, Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I understand the hit on milage with the mods. My bone stock Maverick did 32 MPG on the highway over 400 miles. I easily have over 400 miles of range. Around town I see 26ish and long rural road trips well over 30 MPG.

Sponsored

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What do you mean about the throttle body?
Sorry, that was a bit vague. I meant to ask do you think this 2 litre would benefit from a larger throttle body. There may be options that will use the existing ducting and intake yet provide a larger bore through the tb.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you. Am I correct that your can uses steel wool instead of baffles to trap particulates?
Half correct, it is both baffled and uses a SS wool packing.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand the hit on milage with the mods. My bone stock Maverick did 32 MPG on the highway over 400 miles. I easily have over 400 miles of range. Around town I see 26ish and long rural road trips well over 30 MPG.
The "mods" didn't hurt the milage, the larger heavy tires are what hurt it.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry, that was a bit vague. I meant to ask do you think this 2 litre would benefit from a larger throttle body. There may be options that will use the existing ducting and intake yet provide a larger bore through the tb.
At the power levels the stock turbo is capable of I don't see the throttle body being any restriction.

robscar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70, 2013 Outback, 2008 Titan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice write up. What were your impressions on the comfort, interior noise levels, ride on different road surfaces?
At some point maybe you can do a package of upgrades.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.