Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree with you on the seat moving back very far. I sat in one at the dealership last Friday and it moves back further than my wifes Ridgeline and had more legroom. I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and felt like the legroom was more than adequate.
Oh yeah. You're just taking the leg room from the rear. But I think even 7 foot tall guys should fit comfortably in this. Plus the shoulder space at the b pillar doesn't make sitting further back an issue as it could be. A lot of vehicles curve inward up high where the maverick is a bit boxy on the sides.
Sponsored

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh yeah. You're just taking the leg room from the rear. But I think even 7 foot tall guys should fit comfortably in this. Plus the shoulder space at the b pillar doesn't make sitting further back an issue as it could be. A lot of vehicles curve inward up high where the maverick is a bit boxy on the sides.
Yeah, you are taking up room in the rear but my point was I could be comfortable without even putting the seat all the way back so I could accommodate a rear passenger and still be okay. Sort of like my Suburban I drive now.

Last edited:

MaineAssassin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-450, Flex, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I haven't seen this specifically, thought I would review the truck from a larger person perspective.

I'm 6' and about 375. Not all fat, but not all muscle either. I'm also wide from the shoulders down. Little cars are usually not my friend. Shoulder and head room are the big issue as well as my knees. And I can't stand bucket seats. For obvious reasons. They were designed for middle schoolers.

Anyways, I had seen photos of the maverick prototypes, and decided to order one. I wanted a truck to do intermittent truck things but also wanted a new daily driver. One that's better at efficiency than my old car that got 28mpg on its best day but usually 24-25 regularly.

I have a Lariat without the luxury package. I wanted the fake leather seats because this truck will still be seeing some moderate truck activities and dirtying up the cloth seats was a no go. But I've been told the fake leather seats are more plush than the cloth seats. But have never been in one to tell the difference.

First off, the drivers seat moves back very far. There's still about 5 inches of space or so between the back of the seat and the rear seat with plenty of foot room. I reclined the seat just a tad from top dead center and my shoulder doesn't touch the b pillar. Which is nice since my shoulder is right next to it.

I do ride with the seat at the lowest setting, and I've got at least 3 or 4 inches of headroom. So I could ride higher if I wanted.

The adjustable steering wheel can move a lot and it's no where near my legs but also isn't unnaturally angled upward. It's where it feels normal.

Seat belt is more than long enough. No complaints there. Never been an issue for me but for guys with a big stomach just know you'll be fine.

The center console sits below the level of the seat even in the lowest position. So you can flex your right knee over it and be fine. Which is a major issue for me. My last car was a cadillac xt5 and the center console sat several inches above the seat and was right at the edge of the seat. While the left side of the seat had a wide gap between the seat and the door. A huge PITA. and you could only keep your right leg straight then.

The edges of the "bucket" seat are soft and flatten out. Though this will probably be a little tiring on really long drives. But since you can sit center in the seat makes it far more comfortable than other cars or trucks even.

And did I mention leg room?

I have 14EEEEEE shoes. The left a pillar gives you a nice place to rest your foot against. You can also sit flat footed and not feel your knees are up unnaturally. And still no where near the wheel.

The gas pedal feels a little higher off the floor than some cars. Like I'm using my toes instead of the center of my foot on the pedal.

Because of all the room, and the different handle, closing the door is easy. Sometimes for me in some cars my shoulder being against the b pillar makes reaching for the door handle uncomfortable and I normally would grab the top of the door rather than the handle since it's closer. No such case here. The interior width at the shoulder gives you tons of maneuverability.

Also the head rest sits high to begin with and even extended doesn't feel like it's angling into the back of your head or neck the way some cars do. Again, you won't feel cramped in this.

And just as an example, my daughter is in a booster seat and after buckling her in on the passenger side rear seat, undid her buckle because it had come over her shoulder where she doesn't like it. The rear seat belt is so long, she can extend it all the way for me to reach it from the driver's seat, hold it with my left hand (to keep the retractor from sucking it back in, and locking it from pulling out again) and reach with my right hand to press it into the receptacle. All while still seated in the driver's seat.

This thing has room. Trust me. It may seem small but it's got tons of room.

Now the negatives. And there's really only two.

The shift selector is down low on the center console and it's, for me, unnaturally out of reach. So backing out of a parking spot and then going into drive is weird. I've gotten better at it. But feels like the old stick shifter or column shifter would've been more enjoyable. Even if it was just controlling an electric module and not actual linkage.

And the center console. Yes it's out of the way, but when I get into my maverick I try to not brush against the left corner of the seat. I've had numerous experiences with F150s where the corner of the seat disintegrates with age. One work truck completely losing a corner down to the metal bracing. So, by stepping in higher than normal, I sit on the left side of the seat first. Then elbow on the console and scotch over a few more inches. DON'T DO THAT. The center of the console lid has no support. I heard something crack my second day with the truck but couldn't find it when I looked for any damage. Nor could I feel any type of movement in the center of the console lid. But I'm sure repetitive use of that would break it severely. However, the SIDES of the console lid where it's resting on the sides of the console exterior is solid and honestly feels indestructible.

And lastly I guess you can say the window control is a bit too far forward. With my seat back all the way and the reclined just a bit my hand wants to naturally rest where my finger will be right at the rear window rather than the front window control. However this has been a problem in so many cars I've driven that it's honestly not worth complaining about but figure some might want to know.

Anyways, that's what I've got so far. If I can think of anything else I'll add it.
Agreed on the window control. Even the mrs who is short went for the rear window instead of the front.

Michael Dietzel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I'm 6'5 228 lb but more importantly 67 years old. I find the Maverick more than comfortable and I'm comparing it to my 2013 Toyota Tacoma that I am selling tonight at 8:00 p.m. . The Maverick feels bigger, it sits bigger and is generally more comfortable than the Tacoma that I loved! Thank Ford and their designers for making the perfect tuck for a big guy that needs just enough but not too much truck! The Maverick is far easier to get in and out of due to the low step height from the curb. The instrumentation and function buttons as far as placement and readability are far less confusing than the moronic crap on the Toyota. Strictly my opinion. The best thing about the Toyota was the resale I will pocket $1,000 more than I paid for the truck 4 years ago enough to completely pay for my new Maverick XL at $22,900 I'm pretty sure the Maverick will enjoy the same or better resale numbers than the Toyota Tacoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 1500
Since I haven't seen this specifically, thought I would review the truck from a larger person perspective.

I'm 6' and about 375. Not all fat, but not all muscle either. I'm also wide from the shoulders down. Little cars are usually not my friend. Shoulder and head room are the big issue as well as my knees. And I can't stand bucket seats. For obvious reasons. They were designed for middle schoolers.

Anyways, I had seen photos of the maverick prototypes, and decided to order one. I wanted a truck to do intermittent truck things but also wanted a new daily driver. One that's better at efficiency than my old car that got 28mpg on its best day but usually 24-25 regularly.

I have a Lariat without the luxury package. I wanted the fake leather seats because this truck will still be seeing some moderate truck activities and dirtying up the cloth seats was a no go. But I've been told the fake leather seats are more plush than the cloth seats. But have never been in one to tell the difference.

First off, the drivers seat moves back very far. There's still about 5 inches of space or so between the back of the seat and the rear seat with plenty of foot room. I reclined the seat just a tad from top dead center and my shoulder doesn't touch the b pillar. Which is nice since my shoulder is right next to it.

I do ride with the seat at the lowest setting, and I've got at least 3 or 4 inches of headroom. So I could ride higher if I wanted.

The adjustable steering wheel can move a lot and it's no where near my legs but also isn't unnaturally angled upward. It's where it feels normal.

Seat belt is more than long enough. No complaints there. Never been an issue for me but for guys with a big stomach just know you'll be fine.

The center console sits below the level of the seat even in the lowest position. So you can flex your right knee over it and be fine. Which is a major issue for me. My last car was a cadillac xt5 and the center console sat several inches above the seat and was right at the edge of the seat. While the left side of the seat had a wide gap between the seat and the door. A huge PITA. and you could only keep your right leg straight then.

The edges of the "bucket" seat are soft and flatten out. Though this will probably be a little tiring on really long drives. But since you can sit center in the seat makes it far more comfortable than other cars or trucks even.

And did I mention leg room?

I have 14EEEEEE shoes. The left a pillar gives you a nice place to rest your foot against. You can also sit flat footed and not feel your knees are up unnaturally. And still no where near the wheel.

The gas pedal feels a little higher off the floor than some cars. Like I'm using my toes instead of the center of my foot on the pedal.

Because of all the room, and the different handle, closing the door is easy. Sometimes for me in some cars my shoulder being against the b pillar makes reaching for the door handle uncomfortable and I normally would grab the top of the door rather than the handle since it's closer. No such case here. The interior width at the shoulder gives you tons of maneuverability.

Also the head rest sits high to begin with and even extended doesn't feel like it's angling into the back of your head or neck the way some cars do. Again, you won't feel cramped in this.

And just as an example, my daughter is in a booster seat and after buckling her in on the passenger side rear seat, undid her buckle because it had come over her shoulder where she doesn't like it. The rear seat belt is so long, she can extend it all the way for me to reach it from the driver's seat, hold it with my left hand (to keep the retractor from sucking it back in, and locking it from pulling out again) and reach with my right hand to press it into the receptacle. All while still seated in the driver's seat.

This thing has room. Trust me. It may seem small but it's got tons of room.

Now the negatives. And there's really only two.

The shift selector is down low on the center console and it's, for me, unnaturally out of reach. So backing out of a parking spot and then going into drive is weird. I've gotten better at it. But feels like the old stick shifter or column shifter would've been more enjoyable. Even if it was just controlling an electric module and not actual linkage.

And the center console. Yes it's out of the way, but when I get into my maverick I try to not brush against the left corner of the seat. I've had numerous experiences with F150s where the corner of the seat disintegrates with age. One work truck completely losing a corner down to the metal bracing. So, by stepping in higher than normal, I sit on the left side of the seat first. Then elbow on the console and scotch over a few more inches. DON'T DO THAT. The center of the console lid has no support. I heard something crack my second day with the truck but couldn't find it when I looked for any damage. Nor could I feel any type of movement in the center of the console lid. But I'm sure repetitive use of that would break it severely. However, the SIDES of the console lid where it's resting on the sides of the console exterior is solid and honestly feels indestructible.

And lastly I guess you can say the window control is a bit too far forward. With my seat back all the way and the reclined just a bit my hand wants to naturally rest where my finger will be right at the rear window rather than the front window control. However this has been a problem in so many cars I've driven that it's honestly not worth complaining about but figure some might want to know.

Anyways, that's what I've got so far. If I can think of anything else I'll add it.
I know this is an old post but just wanted to thank you. I’m 6’2” and “only” about 215 (which feels small in this thread!) but I also wear a 14 shoe. I had been generally concerned about whether the Maverick is just too damn small for me. I’ve stood outside one twice but haven’t actually had a chance to sit inside - wasn’t sure if it was even worth a shot, but this post and thread gives me a reason to try it out!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know this is an old post but just wanted to thank you. I’m 6’2” and “only” about 215 (which feels small in this thread!) but I also wear a 14 shoe. I had been generally concerned about whether the Maverick is just too damn small for me. I’ve stood outside one twice but haven’t actually had a chance to sit inside - wasn’t sure if it was even worth a shot, but this post and thread gives me a reason to try it out!
Yeah. You'll fit great. And with your feet aren't going to feel like you don't have anywhere to go.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is me chilling for 3500 miles. I'm 6'6" 240lbs athleticish build. You'll be fine!

Ford Maverick Big Guy / Small Truck (Maverick) Review: Comfort & Ergonomics 20220602_100541

Ford Maverick Big Guy / Small Truck (Maverick) Review: Comfort & Ergonomics 20220602_152516

MustangMech

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ll second that. I’m 6’-6” 240#. Wear large boots and can fully stretch out my left leg while driving. Huge deal for me!
Sponsored