brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I honestly don't really use the rear view mirror. With my daughter in the truck I just have it permanently angled to see her. Backing up I'll use the side mirrors and the camera (though the screen is angled for much shorter drivers and can't be adjusted)

I do like the backup lines on the screen and the dotted line for the hitch to line it up precisely.
The issue isn't in using the mirror, it's that it obstructs my view when trying to look out the windshield.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the excellent writeups all!

My question is about the room in the seat itself, my wife has a 2022 Escape and it is the most uncomfortable damn thing I have ever sat in, the seats themselves are very narrow through the butt and upper legs and I find it intolerably uncomfortable.

Hopefully the Maverick isn't like this?
I have the same issue with a lot of seats (the bucket style has one width of person in mind).

No. The maverick isn't like that. At least the lariat seats. Not sure about the cloth xl/xlt seats. But I'm sure they're similar. I've gone on hours long drives already with lots of stops. No issues with the comfort of the seats. Also with the console where it is and the shoulder room, no worries about sitting off center in the seat which can hurt your hips or back. And I have a bad back and left hip from injuries in my teens and 20s so I'm always conscious of where and how I'm sitting. These seats are solid and flat across and the initial "lip" on the edges flattens out pretty quickly and tends to stay that way from my limited one week experience.

OP
OP

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The issue isn't in using the mirror, it's that it obstructs my view when trying to look out the windshield.
Got ya. Yeah. I will say it does a bit but as someone else said, I've adjusted as well. But agree it's in the way. Also the large black assembly behind it (assuming it's the camera for the auto lights, lane assist etc) keep makes it difficult as well.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think i understand what you mean but I'm hoping that since ive been ina car(Subaru outback) I'll be used to sorta looking past or through the mirror. I know when i went from my 13' 150 to the outback it often felt like it blocked my line of sight but eventually it all blended in.
Basically, the mirror is exactly at my eye level when I'm sitting properly. Even in my old corolla, the mirror was slightly above my eyes so I could see under it. It's lower because of the camera housing for the Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), so it might be common in newer cars.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Basically, the mirror is exactly at my eye level when I'm sitting properly. Even in my old corolla, the mirror was slightly above my eyes so I could see under it. It's lower because of the camera housing for the Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), so it might be common in newer cars.
Im wondering if my outback is like that now lol i have the Subaru eyesight. Have you put the seat in the lowest spot? I'm generally at the lowest point in most cars but i think I'm understanding what you are getting at

Sponsored

Ths0154

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick EB XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great to hear about the room in the Maverick. I have one on order and wondered about the room. Haven't driven or sit in a Maverick yet. I am 6' and 325 and was hoping there would be ample room in the truck. Still waiting for a schedule date. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great to hear about the room in the Maverick. I have one on order and wondered about the room. Haven't driven or sit in a Maverick yet. I am 6' and 325 and was hoping there would be ample room in the truck. Still waiting for a schedule date. Thanks for sharing.
Yep. My first time in a maverick was when I got in mine. So was nervous and had just been comparing measurements to my Buick regal (maverick is bigger for everything except shoulder width by a half inch). Plus the console position made me anticipate a lot more room for my knees. My Buick had the center console almost flush with the seat so my knee had room. But the actual seat in the Buick is wider and extra plush and not like a bucket seat. The dealer told me it's not a hard bucket and they were right. He was a big guy too and had gotten to see a production model the dealership got to see from Ford when it was introduced. But they couldn't test drive it. He liked it and we honest with that assessment.

Frogcereal

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I’m 7’ flat and weigh just around 200 pounds. Proportional legs and torso but really skinny. As a long guy I have to “man spread” in any vehicle but the open center console and higher windshield make this thing surprisingly quite good for tall people. My 6’8” 270lb dad also fit quite well

OP
OP

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m 7’ flat and weigh just around 200 pounds. Proportional legs and torso but really skinny. As a long guy I have to “man spread” in any vehicle but the open center console and higher windshield make this thing surprisingly quite good for tall people. My 6’8” 270lb dad also fit quite well
The head room was surprising for me. I could sit more upright if I wanted but have gotten used to a little lean back. Also I don't have to duck to get in like I do with the Buick or almost any other vehicle besides large suvs or trucks. It's a big little truck.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm the same size. It's very comfortable for me. Love the head room and the more upright seating than my old corolla (definitely helps with longer drives). My only complaint is the low-mounted rear view mirror makes visibility when scanning across the front of the vehicle a little suspect. Not sure if shorter drivers experience this, but I have to basically lean my head forward/down near the steering wheel to see under it.
My son, very large, addressed the mirror issue but purchasing a rear view mirror with a larger stem, which allows for better view…

Sponsored

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I am 6’4 with long legs and a fairly narrow build (other than the pandemic gut) and I fit well in my Maverick. I do find that most Ford vehicles have good front legroom. My F150 was the best but this is almost there. The back is not as good as my 2020 Escape which I could fit into. The big thing is this fits better than the Ram 1500 I had two years ago. The Rams have great backseat room and garbage front seat room. It annoyed me to the point where I traded it on the Escape, but knowing I was getting the Maverick a year later. I really look at legroom numbers. I had thought about a new tundra but they have crap legroom too and I am done feeling cramped.

NoNameActor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I'm not a big guy, but I am struggling with that turn dial shifter. I drove a straight shift s-10 for years, and still like that feeling of control. Solution, I'm figured out a way to build a faux shifter that will fit in the cup holder. Basically a fancy hand rest.

OP
OP

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not a big guy, but I am struggling with that turn dial shifter. I drove a straight shift s-10 for years, and still like that feeling of control. Solution, I'm figured out a way to build a faux shifter that will fit in the cup holder. Basically a fancy hand rest.

Is not so much the knob that bothers me as to the location so far low. Backing out of a parking spot for instance and then going into drive just feels unnatural. On the dash would've been better (but understand there's fear of people turning it when changing the radio, etc).

But why they can't have an electric module connected to the end of a fake shifter I don't know.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
lol....at 6'3" 180#, I feel like the little guy in the room..... 😲

But like y'all, was really impressed with the interior room of the Mav, especially given it's footprint.

Still a few more months to wait before I get mine.....😰

jmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I haven't seen this specifically, thought I would review the truck from a larger person perspective.

I'm 6' and about 375. Not all fat, but not all muscle either. I'm also wide from the shoulders down. Little cars are usually not my friend. Shoulder and head room are the big issue as well as my knees. And I can't stand bucket seats. For obvious reasons. They were designed for middle schoolers.

Anyways, I had seen photos of the maverick prototypes, and decided to order one. I wanted a truck to do intermittent truck things but also wanted a new daily driver. One that's better at efficiency than my old car that got 28mpg on its best day but usually 24-25 regularly.

I have a Lariat without the luxury package. I wanted the fake leather seats because this truck will still be seeing some moderate truck activities and dirtying up the cloth seats was a no go. But I've been told the fake leather seats are more plush than the cloth seats. But have never been in one to tell the difference.

First off, the drivers seat moves back very far. There's still about 5 inches of space or so between the back of the seat and the rear seat with plenty of foot room. I reclined the seat just a tad from top dead center and my shoulder doesn't touch the b pillar. Which is nice since my shoulder is right next to it.

I do ride with the seat at the lowest setting, and I've got at least 3 or 4 inches of headroom. So I could ride higher if I wanted.

The adjustable steering wheel can move a lot and it's no where near my legs but also isn't unnaturally angled upward. It's where it feels normal.

Seat belt is more than long enough. No complaints there. Never been an issue for me but for guys with a big stomach just know you'll be fine.

The center console sits below the level of the seat even in the lowest position. So you can flex your right knee over it and be fine. Which is a major issue for me. My last car was a cadillac xt5 and the center console sat several inches above the seat and was right at the edge of the seat. While the left side of the seat had a wide gap between the seat and the door. A huge PITA. and you could only keep your right leg straight then.

The edges of the "bucket" seat are soft and flatten out. Though this will probably be a little tiring on really long drives. But since you can sit center in the seat makes it far more comfortable than other cars or trucks even.

And did I mention leg room?

I have 14EEEEEE shoes. The left a pillar gives you a nice place to rest your foot against. You can also sit flat footed and not feel your knees are up unnaturally. And still no where near the wheel.

The gas pedal feels a little higher off the floor than some cars. Like I'm using my toes instead of the center of my foot on the pedal.

Because of all the room, and the different handle, closing the door is easy. Sometimes for me in some cars my shoulder being against the b pillar makes reaching for the door handle uncomfortable and I normally would grab the top of the door rather than the handle since it's closer. No such case here. The interior width at the shoulder gives you tons of maneuverability.

Also the head rest sits high to begin with and even extended doesn't feel like it's angling into the back of your head or neck the way some cars do. Again, you won't feel cramped in this.

And just as an example, my daughter is in a booster seat and after buckling her in on the passenger side rear seat, undid her buckle because it had come over her shoulder where she doesn't like it. The rear seat belt is so long, she can extend it all the way for me to reach it from the driver's seat, hold it with my left hand (to keep the retractor from sucking it back in, and locking it from pulling out again) and reach with my right hand to press it into the receptacle. All while still seated in the driver's seat.

This thing has room. Trust me. It may seem small but it's got tons of room.

Now the negatives. And there's really only two.

The shift selector is down low on the center console and it's, for me, unnaturally out of reach. So backing out of a parking spot and then going into drive is weird. I've gotten better at it. But feels like the old stick shifter or column shifter would've been more enjoyable. Even if it was just controlling an electric module and not actual linkage.

And the center console. Yes it's out of the way, but when I get into my maverick I try to not brush against the left corner of the seat. I've had numerous experiences with F150s where the corner of the seat disintegrates with age. One work truck completely losing a corner down to the metal bracing. So, by stepping in higher than normal, I sit on the left side of the seat first. Then elbow on the console and scotch over a few more inches. DON'T DO THAT. The center of the console lid has no support. I heard something crack my second day with the truck but couldn't find it when I looked for any damage. Nor could I feel any type of movement in the center of the console lid. But I'm sure repetitive use of that would break it severely. However, the SIDES of the console lid where it's resting on the sides of the console exterior is solid and honestly feels indestructible.

And lastly I guess you can say the window control is a bit too far forward. With my seat back all the way and the reclined just a bit my hand wants to naturally rest where my finger will be right at the rear window rather than the front window control. However this has been a problem in so many cars I've driven that it's honestly not worth complaining about but figure some might want to know.

Anyways, that's what I've got so far. If I can think of anything else I'll add it.
Agree with you on the seat moving back very far. I sat in one at the dealership last Friday and it moves back further than my wifes Ridgeline and had more legroom. I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and felt like the legroom was more than adequate.
Sponsored