jchookas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just a warning to any of those out there that think you can actually make full use of your 4000 lb tow rating... Apparently Home Depot has a policy that won't let you rent any of their heavy equipment unless you have a half ton truck. They don't care what your truck tow rating is. Kind of a huge disappointment since it makes the truck less useful for me. I haven't been able to find another tool rental company in my area that has what I need, hopefully they don't have the same stupid policy.

Any others run into similar issues?
Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting. Just sounds like my money will go to another store.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just a warning to any of those out there that think you can actually make full use of your 4000 lb tow rating... Apparently Home Depot has a policy that won't let you rent any of their heavy equipment unless you have a half ton truck. They don't care what your truck tow rating is. Kind of a huge disappointment since it makes the truck less useful for me. I haven't been able to find another tool rental company in my area that has what I need, hopefully they don't have the same stupid policy.

Absolutely not. I rent from my local HD all the time. Log splitters, concrete grinders w/trailers. I'm not sure if these are classified as "heavy" equipment but they definitely push near the 1,250 towing capacity of my Forester and cause it to squat significantly.

I also have a 2" Curt hitch I installed without a harness and never been told I cannot rent.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Probably because maverick is not on their "approved list" since it is brand new.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What do they want when they say half ton? The curb weight is over 3500 lbs for all models and the payload is about 1500 lbs which is more than half a ton, it's 3/4. A ton is 2000 lbs, how much more payload do they want?

Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Uhaul also has a strict policy.. They wouldnt let me pull a vehicle carrier with a ford explorer rated at 5100 lbs even though the vehicle being towed was 2500 lbs. So you might find more issues in the future.

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What do they want when they say half ton? The curb weight is over 3500 lbs for all models and the payload is about 1500 lbs which is more than half a ton, it's 3/4. A ton is 2000 lbs, how much more payload do they want?
Exactly, I would just tell the pimple faced HD clerk that I'll be picking up the equipment with my 3/4 ton capacity PU truck.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly, I would just tell the pimple faced HD clerk that I'll be picking up the equipment with my 3/4 ton capacity PU truck.
No no please, pimple face Jeff is underpaid and just trying to do his job. You gotta hit up Kent, the regional corporate manager and give him what-for.

Deleted member 1370

Home Depot also rents trucks, while refusing to rent you a trailer your vehicle is rated to tow. I'm sure it is just a coincidence...
My whole point in getting the 4k towing package was to tow a haul for myself to move down south. I hope I don’t run into the same problem. Since the towing requirements were line 2000-2500 lbs according to the site and I thought with 4k they’d give more leeway there

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My whole point in getting the 4k towing package was to tow a haul for myself to move down south. I hope I don’t run into the same problem. Since the towing requirements were line 2000-2500 lbs according to the site and I thought with 4k they’d give more leeway there
You see, what you do is buy a new trailer from the trailer store, and DON'T REMOVE THE TAGS. Then when you are done towing, you just return it. Easy.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since a half ton pickup would have a payload capacity of 1000 pounds, show a picture of your payload sticker?

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
I think you all are confusing what a half ton is. A traditional half ton came from old trucks could have a payload of 1000 pounds but had nothing to do with tow capacity. Modern half trucks can exceed this amount. Usually, a half ton truck can haul about 3,000 pounds in its bed and tow up to 9,000 to 10,000 pounds depending on the powertrain.

Which the maverick is not is that class.

Here is the 2021 ford half ton specs.. As you can see the maverick doesn't even come close https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECBoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0T1v_dQr1eCn8lTDPFdTHX

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Apparently Home Depot has a policy that won't let you rent any of their heavy equipment unless you have a half ton truck.
What were you trying to rent? If you wanted the skidsteer or the mini excavator, yeah, you'd probably need an F-150-size truck since those things weigh like 7,000lbs with the trailer.

But if you're renting a log splitter, hell, they let me tow one with a Honda Fit LOL.

What do they want when they say half ton?
I'd be asking the same question, but I'm sure it's along the lines of an F-150/Ram/GM 1500-series vehicle or larger.

Uhaul also has a strict policy.. They wouldnt let me pull a vehicle carrier with a ford explorer rated at 5100 lbs even though the vehicle being towed was 2500 lbs. So you might find more issues in the future.
I think there's more to the story that they didn't tell you. U-haul's algorithm factors in more than just the tow rating of the tow vehicle and the weight of the vehicle being towed. It also factors, among other things, the frontal area of the vehicle being towed, the drive type of the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle, the tow vehicle's wheelbase, and so on.

But I can't think of a 2500lb vehicle that is so nose heavy that the algorithm wouldn't let you tow it with an SUV, which is why I said that I think we're missing part of the story.

And either way, if you want to throw caution to the wind and don't have to show up to the U-haul lot with the vehicle that needs to be towed, you could just claim to be needing to tow a vehicle that the algorithm accepts. I've rented U-haul auto transporters numerous times. There is no way to confirm what I actually towed on the trailer unless I wrecked or got a flat.

You definitely won't have a problem if you rent the trailer after U-hauls database is updated...eventually. If you have to rent before then, you might have some explaining to do, but I don't see why they wouldn't let you take it. Hell, a Toyota Corolla is permitted to tow the 5x8 enclosed.

I think you all are confusing what a half ton is. A traditional half ton came from old trucks could have a payload of 1000 pounds but had nothing to do with tow capacity.
I think some folks are poking fun at the fact that "1/2 ton" is a colloquial term now, and the Maverick hauls, well, more than half a ton.

Usually, a half ton truck can haul about 3,000 pounds in its bed
Dunno what "half-tons" you're looking at, but the maximum possible payload for an F-150-type truck is 3325lbs. And that is a far outlier of a truck in its category, since it's the F-150 regular cab, 8' bed, 2WD, 5.0L V8, with the heavy duty payload package. Those are typically not found on dealer lots. Maybe if it's a high volume dealer that sells a lot of work trucks.

A more common F-150 crew cab 4x4 5.0L V8 with standard payload hovers around 2,000lbs or less. The "maximum" payloads listed in the chart below are for basically the stripped-out version of each truck. Getting an XLT with all the options checked off would further reduce the payload capacity.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-xlt/

Last edited:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you all are confusing what a half ton is. A traditional half ton came from old trucks could have a payload of 1000 pounds but had nothing to do with tow capacity. Modern half trucks can exceed this amount. Usually, a half ton truck can haul about 3,000 pounds in its bed and tow up to 9,000 to 10,000 pounds depending on the powertrain.

Which the maverick is not is that class.

Here is the 2021 ford half ton specs.. As you can see the maverick doesn't even come close https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECBoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0T1v_dQr1eCn8lTDPFdTHX
Well it depends on how you define what a half ton pickup is, doesn't it? In any case, the mav is rated to tow the stuff from home depot. It's HD that doesn't know what they're talking about.
Sponsored