First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi all. I have been doing too much research on tonneau covers lately. Looking to use my Mavs bed as a trunk during family trips and what not ('23 Tremor Lariat, w/ DIBL). Wouldn't plan to store anything in there long term, but want to try to keep it as dry as possible for when we are traveling with our belongings back there. I've pretty much narrowed my search to three options, but would love anyone's experience with any of these particular models, the good and bad. Also open to exploring other items if someone has found one they love. Looking to stick with a low profile look. Thanks!

OEM Ford Hard Roll-Up Cover

Bak Revolver X4S Roll-Up

BakFlip MX4
Sponsored

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm on my third MX4 (the first two were replaced under warranty - I do give their warranty department/customer service credit) and all three have leaked pretty badly. Water somehow gets through/into the cover's panels and drips all over the bed. It's super frustrating for a cover that costs so much.

I may just try to get my money back at this point, or maybe see if they'll send me an X4S at least. I think the MX4's have some sort of design flaw.

Last edited:

My1stFord

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm on my third MX4 (the first two were replaced under warranty - I do give their warranty department/customer service credit) and all three have leaked pretty badly. Water somehow gets through/into the cover's panels and drips all over the bed. It's super frustrating for a cover that costs so much.

I may just try to get my money back at this point, or maybe see if they'll send me an X4S at least. I think the MX4's have some sort of design flaw.
Appreciate the input. Following this thread.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Appreciate the input. Following this thread.
It's pretty frustrating, especially because I really like the cover otherwise. It looks good and seems well made. But you can see what I've been dealing with in the photos below. Water seems to leak in through the panels and drip out of the locks (they screw into the panels).

It may not look like much, but it really accumulates with a decent amount of rain. And for a $1000 cover, it shouldn't be leaking at the seams. The cheap soft trifold I replaced with the bakflip kept the bed drier.

Bak seems to acknowledge this isn't normal, because they keep sending me free replacements under warranty.

I'm also surprised I haven't seen more (or really any) complaints like mine. Like I said, I'm on my third cover and they've all leaked like this. Surely this is a widespread defect and I didn't just get unlucky three times in a row.

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options PXL_20230303_232224791

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options PXL_20230318_024514317

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options PXL_20230318_024503367

Last edited:

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been very happy with Access bed cover, super small water intrusion at car wash, none rain. Around $500.

Sponsored

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

2,600 mile road trip test of OEM Ford roll up tonneau and a fully packed bed: corners leaked (a bit) in an overnight hard rain and a few hours of Highway time, but the bed was intentionally packed with weatherproof gear in those corner locations.
Didn’t care if the golf clubs got wet. Soft sided luggage loaded in the center of the bed, covered everything once loaded with a plastic drop cloth (oxymoron?) cut to fit. It worked, kept the soft sided gear dry.

Folded the plastic and stowed it in the starboard aft cubby for future use.

Minor inconvenience, just had to plan and organize, knowing the roll up tonneau is not a hermetically sealed item.

Reactions: Dad
OP
OP
MaverickInMass

MaverickInMass

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great feedback everyone. Thanks for sharing!

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a cheapo $150 amazon soft rollup cover and it stays pretty dry. Just the corners leak a tiny bit on the side, but it goes straight to bottom and out. This is with me washing the truck pointing hose right at it. I think some of it really gets in at side gaps in tailgate. They provided weatherstripping to seal side of tailgate, but haven't used it yet.

One more thing, I believe the front has to drain into the bed since there is no gap between cab and bed. Otherwise youll pool water and that's not good.

OP
OP
MaverickInMass

MaverickInMass

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been very happy with Access bed cover, super small water intrusion at car wash, none rain. Around $500.
I'm not familiar with Access. What cover do you have from them?

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a cheapo $150 amazon soft rollup cover and it stays pretty dry. Just the corners leak a tiny bit on the side, but it goes straight to bottom and out. This is with me washing the truck pointing hose right at it. I think some of it really gets in at side gaps in tailgate. They provided weatherstripping to seal side of tailgate, but haven't used it yet.

One more thing, I believe the front has to drain into the bed since there is no gap between cab and bed. Otherwise youll pool water and that's not good.
I had heard anecdotally that roll ups are better for keeping water out than the solid panels so I may go cheap roll up initially. Do you have an Amazon link?

Sponsored

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had heard anecdotally that roll ups are better for keeping water out than the solid panels so I may go cheap roll up initially. Do you have an Amazon link?
Here is the link for the one I got, almost 5 star reviews.

Amazon Link

It's 199 but "click on the coupon below the price and it takes $40 off at checkout" making it $159

Here are some pics of mine. Also it has 3 thick square cross bars compared to fords 2 crossbars see pic.

Also like the black clamps vs silver that many come with.

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options 20230318_103352

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options 20230318_103634

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options 20230318_103652

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options 20230318_103732

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here was my setup for a pretty long road trip. Had severe storms with steady rains for 24 hours and it stayed dry enough for normal luggage. Cover is the Truxedo Pro X15.

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options 20230316_082113
Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options 20230312_111223

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One other thing to help keep water away.

You can get a bed mat so if any water gets in corners, it mostly goes under the mat and out the bed.

I have the Ford one

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options 20230318_102924

Ford Maverick Best "Waterproof" Tonneau Options 20230318_103004

Shadowfax

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Ford soft tonneau cover. Seven months of being parked outside and no leaks.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I lucked in to the Gator Tonneau Tri-fold on BlackFriday for $139. As long as you install the weather stripping around the entire perimeter and tail gate you should never see water leaks, I have not had any leaks, not a drop. Some people on this site did not have weatherstripping included with their tonneau order...if they did not receive, Lowes or Home Depot sale the weatherstripping with adhesive. Weather strips attach to the bottom of the tonneau, not the metal of the truck bed. Except around the sides and bottom of the tailgate.
Sponsored