First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since I have never owned a Truck before.

Was wondering what the best option would be, and what the pros and cons would be of each?

Thanks.
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Was wondering what the best option would be, and what the pros and cons would be of each?

Thanks.
Spray ins last longer and usually add to the value of your truck. Down side is price. They are high but worth it.
Drop ins are cheap and not as durable and prone to trap water under them and CAN not always but CAN cause scratches and rust under them.

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
Spray in for steel, drop in for aluminum. Drop in has better impact protection, but with dirt and moisture inevitably getting between a drop in and the bed, and all the slight movement, at best it’s going to put a lot of wear thru on the paint, and at worst cause a lot of rust and rot years down the road on a steel bed. Aluminum needs the impact protection more than steel does. Spray in is asthetically better too IMO. No doubt spray in the way to go on these unless they start making out of aluminum.

BUCKO

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Edge Titanium, '02 Ranger XLT 4dr 4x4 Offroad

Thanks.
Spray on! I've had both and the spray on is the way to go. Drop-ins are slick so you need a bed mat to prevent cargo from sliding around. Drop-ins can create noise from vibrations, where the spray-on deadens noise.

Sponsored

Dandylion

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Fit, 2007 Chev Silverado
Spray in for steel, drop in for aluminum. Drop in has better impact protection, but with dirt and moisture inevitably getting between a drop in and the bed, and all the slight movement, at best it’s going to put a lot of wear thru on the paint, and at worst cause a lot of rust and rot years down the road on a steel bed. Aluminum needs the impact protection more than steel does. Spray in is asthetically better too IMO. No doubt spray in the way to go on these unless they start making out of aluminum.
Totally agree. One way to convince anybody is to have them look underneath a drop-in bed liner on a truck that is 10 years old. Almost always there is paint "sanded" off by the constant grinding between the liner and the steel bed. No paint with water = rust. Spray-in is the best IMHO.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Totally agree. One way to convince anybody is to have them look underneath a drop-in bed liner on a truck that is 10 years old. Almost always there is paint "sanded" off by the constant grinding between the liner and the steel bed. No paint with water = rust. Spray-in is the best IMHO.
I agree 100% I made this mistake many years ago with another small truck Chevy S10 did the drop in and the damage it did to the bed of that truck was horrid. When I took it out it had scratched down to the bare metal which was beginning to rust. I would avoid those drop in bed liners like a hot potato. Spray in 100%.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I prefer drop in bedliners. If you have money to waste and don't care, do both. I like hard drop in bedliners because heavy items are easy to load in and out of the bed of the truck. When you have a spray in bedliner, it's more difficult. Imagine sliding a heavy fridge across 20 grit sandpaper. That's what a spray in bedliner is like. This truck is only $20k so I wouldn't worry about scuffing up the bed too much with a drop in bedliner only. 10-15 years from now, if you still own the truck and your drop in is all chewed up, you can remove it and then do a spray in. That would cover up any chipped paint anyways.

Salmonator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Lowrider
The dealer convinced me to go with the drop in instead of the spray-on because he believed I'd get the truck sooner. I ordered in December and still haven't received a VIN. I'm thinking of switching to the Spray-in because I do want to get a bed extender and from what I'm reading online, there are no delays caused by the Spray-in. Also, I figure gas tank recall due to the spray-in has been resolved by now and for future vehicles.

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can do the bed extender with the drop in - there are cutouts for the mounting points in the DIBL manual. As for changing, some downsides on that…some dealers are treating changes as new order and you get the higher pricing for 2022 vs. 2021; I think SIBL is still a constraint - yes some are getting thru but still a small number overall; we ordered on 12/6 ford acknowledge 12/10 and we are scheduled to build 2/28 - we got our VIN on 1/13. My preference would have been no liner and get a credit - then do a spray in on delivery. But with the Lux package you have to get the DIBL, for Lariat Spray in. No option for a delete.

Bottom line - don’t recommend making changes. You can get the bed extender with DIBL from the dealer on delivery or pull off and do spray in on delivery. Good luck.

Sponsored

Salmonator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Lowrider
You can do the bed extender with the drop in - there are cutouts for the mounting points in the DIBL manual. As for changing, some downsides on that…some dealers are treating changes as new order and you get the higher pricing for 2022 vs. 2021; I think SIBL is still a constraint - yes some are getting thru but still a small number overall; we ordered on 12/6 ford acknowledge 12/10 and we are scheduled to build 2/28 - we got our VIN on 1/13. My preference would have been no liner and get a credit - then do a spray in on delivery. But with the Lux package you have to get the DIBL, for Lariat Spray in. No option for a delete.

Bottom line - don’t recommend making changes. You can get the bed extender with DIBL from the dealer on delivery or pull off and do spray in on delivery. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, I'll just keep the DIBL if there's no issues using the extender. I definitely don't want the dealer to treat the change as a new order. I ordered in 12/17, fingers crossed I get a VIN and schedule before end of the month.

Jmsilver25

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion and Maverick XLT AWD ordered
It truly depends on your wants and needs. Drop ins allow you to change them out, clean them up, replace if cracked. Depending on what you use it for having the sliding factor if drop ins are actually better. However spray on look nice and have less maintenance but are permanent (maybe mistaken). So if you dent it or scratch it you will still get rust issues like a bare bed or drop in.
truly depends on your wants and needs.

Salmonator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Lowrider
It truly depends on your wants and needs. Drop ins allow you to change them out, clean them up, replace if cracked. Depending on what you use it for having the sliding factor if drop ins are actually better. However spray on look nice and have less maintenance but are permanent (maybe mistaken). So if you dent it or scratch it you will still get rust issues like a bare bed or drop in.
truly depends on your wants and needs.
maybe I'll just remove the DIBL down the road and spray the whole bed with Flexseal... LOL
Sponsored