Sponsored

Be prepared for 2023 Maverick price increases. 2023 Lightning prices just increased significantly

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think if you want to get a manuel-forever car, this is probably the time. Certainly a Civic or Corolla would stand the test of time.
With the huge push towards EVs that don't even have a gearbox, the days of being able to get a new car in a stick shift are numbered. Good/depressing read on the state of the stickshift here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/08/stick-shift-manual-transmission-cars/671078/
Not to mention new laws starting for 2024. Same kind of B.A.C. detection in vehicles and anti roll away features. The simplest and cost affective way for the is automatic only and dial shifter. Sure they could make something that forces a manual out of gear and apply brake but at what cost. Same thing with a dial shifter in term of putting the car in park instead of making a more complicated shifter.
Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup ford about get under cut by Chevy I think . If Chevy is smart . EV WT work truck model will arrive in Spring 2023, while the fully-loaded RST First Edition will land in Fall 2023. More trim levels will arrive as production ramps.
The site says Fall 2023 with the RST being Summer 2024.

Reactions: HTX

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Much easier to automate one tranmisson system , manual isn’t as efficient and automatic since it’s based on the drivers skill… things change :(

It's not as efficient anymore (although the difference is minimal) but the thing about manual is power when and how you want it. (Which ironically is probably more important for a truck even though no trucks come in manual anymore).

Manual is going to die in North America before electric vehicles take over but they're still being made in large swathes of the rest of the world because in other countries people just don't like automatics much. They will make manuals, they just won't ship them here to sell.

Electric cars will kill the manual everywhere though eventually.

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Most of my vehicles have been standards starting with my first Maverick a 1974 grabber and my last stick my 1999 F150.
But somone please tell me how am I supposed to shift into 8th gear while drinking my double chai latte no fo lomo whatcha macall it while texting my side chick that the ol lady is outta town!
Man sometimes I miss the 20th century!

Sponsored

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Will the maverick go up by average of 3k?

DEDE6B17-DDD6-4C7B-978B-B583802D5FEE.jpeg

Even then it would still be one of the cheapest options in trucks. Truck inflation out there is INSANE.

Before this my dream AWD eco 2.0 Mav XL would have been about 25k, if it went up 3k it would be 28. That's the base lowest possible price for most other mid size trucks (Colorado, Ranger, Frontier etc) now if not higher, with no AWD, no 4 doors etc, the most base models.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Even then it would still be one of the cheapest options in trucks. Truck inflation out there is INSANE.

Before this my dream AWD eco 2.0 Mav XL would have been about 25k, if it went up 3k it would be 28. That's the base lowest possible price for most other mid size trucks (Colorado, Ranger, Frontier etc) now if not higher, with no AWD, no 4 doors etc, the most base models.

It would. Even a $3000 rise in price it will be cheap "for a truck" but Mavericks main competitor is not other trucks. Most people buying a Maverick are switching from a small to mid size car. Maverick isn't just competing against the Santa Cruz and Toyota Tacoma, it's competing against the Elantra, the Civic, Mazda 3, etc, too. A $3k shift and it's no longer cheaper than the vehicles it's competing against. (Which might not matter to a lot of people who are only driving cars because they haven't been able to get a cheap small truck in over a decade)

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep - and those sedans are likely easier and quicker to get than a Mav so those looking to switch just might say well...forget it I'll stick with a sedan.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most of my vehicles have been standards starting with my first Maverick a 1974 grabber and my last stick my 1999 F150.
But somone please tell me how am I supposed to shift into 8th gear while drinking my double chai latte no fo lomo whatcha macall it while texting my side chick that the ol lady is outta town!
Man sometimes I miss the 20th century!
Gotta protect the double chai latte, strong point! :ROFLMAO:

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

My guess is $3K over the current $20:995 for an XL Hybrid, with a bump to $1595 for destination charge. So new base of $25,590, with destination. The mid-size trucks will likely all be around $30K base, with destination, except the Honda Ridgeline will be over $40K base. Full-size trucks will be close to $40K base with destination. We already know the F-150 Lightning is pushing $50K base.

I may be off, but I don’t think by much.

Update: 2023 Ridgeline base, per Honda website, is $40,095, with destination. So yup, just over $40K.

Welcome to 2023.

Last edited:
Sponsored

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would. Even a $3000 rise in price it will be cheap "for a truck" but Mavericks main competitor is not other trucks. Most people buying a Maverick are switching from a small to mid size car. Maverick isn't just competing against the Santa Cruz and Toyota Tacoma, it's competing against the Elantra, the Civic, Mazda 3, etc, too. A $3k shift and it's no longer cheaper than the vehicles it's competing against. (Which might not matter to a lot of people who are only driving cars because they haven't been able to get a cheap small truck in over a decade)
Bare bones 2023 Honda Civic is $23,645, per Honda website.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My guess is $3K over the current $20:995 for an XL Hybrid, with a bump to $1595 for destination charge. So new base of $25,590, with destination. The mid-size trucks will likely all be around $30K base, with destination, except the Honda Ridgeline will be over $40K base. Full-size trucks will be close to $40K base with destination. We already know the F-150 Lightning is pushing $50K base.

I may be off, but I don’t think by much.

Update: 2023 Ridgeline base, per Honda website, is $40,095, with destination. So yup, just over $40K.

Welcome to 2023.
Could be wrong, but gotta disagree, Ford takes an XLT into much higher range, and base models of SERIOUSLY reliable trucks become the competition. Maybe Ford can afford to do that in a couple years, when their quality issues have stabilized, but right now a lot of shoppers are willing to look past Mav quality problems for such a low priced, high MPG truck. Ford would shoot themselves in the foot upping it at this point.

Besides, they just raised the price in early July, when you couldnt even order one if you wanted to. Two price increases in 2 months is excessive even for Ford.

LushRoller

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am one of those, strongly considering getting a Maverick to replace my Mazda 3 that was totaled in June (driving my old backup in the meantime, so I have some time to wait for the used market to get better or wait for a Maverick). I've been considering how much more I'd be willing to pay and at what point I'd decide to not place an order for '23. After messing with the built tool on Ford's site, I've decided my limit is about $1,000. Especially if Ford doesn't make a new feature standard (personally I'm hoping cruise control becomes standard in 2023 on the XL, and Ford offers adaptive cruise on the XLT CoPilot 360). I might be willing to go up some on my number if that were the case (still not more than $1,500). Hybrid Corollas seem to MSRP at about $24,050 with many standard features you have to pay more for in the Maverick. I think people are willing to pay a bit more because it's a truck, but there's a limit.

Although I understand why many fear a huge price increase I do think there's a case for there not being a significant one. I don't think the Lightning is a good comparison. Sure they're both new models offered by Ford but there are some significant differences. As people here already pointed out, the Lightning is fully electric, in extremely high demand, and may benefit from the tax credit that could cover the increase. Compare that with the Maverick which is also a brand new vehicle but a big part of Ford's marketing is that it's supposed to be affordable and compete with the Honda Civic in terms of pricing (and efficiency with the hybrid being standard). If Ford takes advantage of the situation and raises the price many thousands of dollars they will probably ruin a lot of goodwill they have had with consumers on the Maverick. It will also make the Honda Ridgeline, Hyundai Santa Cruz, and some other smaller trucks already available much more competitive with the Maverick. So they'll lose people like me and the ones who just needed a little increase in price to convince them to buy a different truck. It could be a marketing disaster for what has so far been a huge success if they do an increase more than $1,000 or so.

Instead of looking at the Lightning why don't we look at how much they increased the Bronco?
I think an increase like this is more likely (which they've already done with their summer increase when it wasn't even possible to order the Maverick) and is one people will accept without too much fuss.

Last edited:

Sun Devil

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I called some dealers yesterday and a couple say they have seen information that the Ecoboost will increase by about $700 and the hybrid by about $1,000. I am hoping they are correct.
Sponsored