Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We caught a new trim variant of the Ford Maverick pickup, and it looks like it’s the base version which is rumored to start under $20,000.

The latest prototype has a unique grille treatment (the third grille spotted so far), and it’s riding on steel wheels. The Bronco Sport has alloy wheels designed to look like simple steel wheels. However, the wheels on these latest Maverick prototypes appear to be real deal steelies—fitted for economical, not aesthetic purposes. Further supporting this as the base Maverick, these prototypes are FWD models, with no sign of the independent rear suspension found on the four-wheel-drive models. Instead, these prototypes look like they’re equipped with the basic torsion-beam rear suspension design.

We have also gathered a few minutes of video, catching these base Mavericks, and a more rugged four-wheel-drive variant testing on public roads.

FIRST EVER VIDEO!

PHOTOS

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-1

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-2

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-3

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-4

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-5

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-6

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-7

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-8

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-9

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-10

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-11

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-13

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-14

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video base-ford-maverick-truck-steelies-fwd-grille-spy-pics-12
Sponsored

Last edited:

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That might be the base package, but it looks like it is the AWD model as that seems to be an independent rear suspension rather than torsion beam, no? Maybe I just can't see clearly.

The front still looks a bit low for my preference, but how high the back rides still suggests to me that they're going to try to make the bed payload useful.

Edit: I also think those wheels look pretty much identical to the ones behind the hubcaps of my Transit Connect. I think the TC's are 16 though. None of the Bronco Sport's wheels are 16in.

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
Sign me up for the most basic 2.0 AWD model I can get. If I can get 30” tires and 8.5 inches plus of ground clearance I’m good. 3500 pounds of towing would be very helpful. I like it. My last Ford was my 1975 Courier. Can’t wait for another improved mini truck.

J_Garn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know if the driver at 1:00 in the video is quite tall or not, but that's the seat/vision line I'd hope for. The other drivers look like they're barely able to see over the driver/passenger windows.

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
So if we go by the video

First appearance: base model trim, first one with out front hooks, interestingly enough break lights seem to look pretty similar in both, first appearance of the 'rib' (looks like metal rib paneling profile) grill, the horizontal trim is matte black to match (as if it was all a single molding)

at the 50 second mark: Biggest wheels matched mirror and handles, independent rear suspension LED lights, looks to be a higher end model, we've seen this one before, the horizontal slab seems like a silver piece of trim (maaaybe white to match body?), we haven't seen this grill design yet

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video 1616792716064

at 1:04 we see this one, no matched mirrors, no matched handle, dark shiny gray

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video 1616793493172

now it would seem like this is the next level up, since the mirrors are matched even though the handles aren't

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video 1616793565347

and my personnal fav has not made an appearance in this video, again with matched mirrors and matched handles and LED's, hopefully those LEDs aren't limited to just the top trims

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video 1616793615235

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Those steel wheels look great!!! This is without a doubt a base (XL) trim. Another thing: Does anyone else have a problem with the license plate being scooted to the right to free up space for the tow hitch receiver?

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
So if we go by the video

First appearance: base model trim, first one with out front hooks, interestingly enough break lights seem to look pretty similar in both, first appearance of the 'rib' (looks like metal rib paneling profile) grill, the horizontal trim is matte black to match (as if it was all a single molding)

at the 50 second mark: Biggest wheels matched mirror and handles, independent rear suspension LED lights, looks to be a higher end model, we've seen this one before, the horizontal slab seems like a silver piece of trim (maaaybe white to match body?), we haven't seen this grill design yet

1616792716064.png

at 1:04 we see this one, no matched mirrors, no matched handle, dark shiny gray

1616793493172.png

now it would seem like this is the next level up, since the mirrors are matched even though the handles aren't

1616793565347.png

and my personnal fav has not made an appearance in this video, again with matched mirrors and matched handles and LED's, hopefully those LEDs aren't limited to just the top trims

1616793615235.png

Just realized: looks like our timberline trim!! Compare the wheels to the following:

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video 1616798837017

They're the same rim pattern!

Ford Maverick Base Maverick XL Pickup Spied with Steelies, FWD, Unique Grille! + First Ever Maverick Video 1616798910448

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Base models for sure. People are asking for cheap, well these are most likely such. FWD, probably 1.5T, halogen lights everything and black plastic instead of color matched and steel rims.

I’m not that customer, but nice to see those that want such price point may be able to get such.

Want more power? Gonna pay. Want better lights? Gonna pay. More features? Pay. Well, you get the idea.

Price will increase quick, just as any other vehicle, but probably can easily be compared to Escape and Bronco Sport in that regard. Test drive a base model Escape and that’s probably what you’d be looking at for Maverick as far as appointments and feel. One can also look at a base Bronco Sport to get an idea for base AWD Maverick.

Curious how much longer before Ford actually reveals. Seems like they may be ready for production when revealed or at least within a couple months.
Sponsored