S Fox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have experienced an issue twice with the auto braking. I have an XLT Hybrid with 360. 7000 miles. First issue happened two months ago. Truck was in Drive with Auto Braking ON. I opened the driver door and the auto Braking disengaged with the truck lurching forward. The Parking Brake did not engage. I had to press the brake pedal down to stop. A huge safety issue. The second time the truck was also in drive and auto brake was ON. This time the passenger door right rear was opened. Truck almost ran over my son's foot. I had to step on the brake pedal. Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

Stimpy433

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m sure it disengages for safety reasons when you open any of the doors. Keep stupid people from running themselves over.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I’m sure it disengages for safety reasons when you open any of the doors. Keep stupid people from running themselves over.
Yup, the better question is why was the OP opening his door with the vehicle in DRIVE and the auto stop engaged?? I can't imagine a scenario were this is necessary.

OP
OP
S Fox

S Fox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The issue is that the brake is not suppose to disengage when the passenger door opens and then start moving. It is suppose to send a panel warning, Passenger Door Open. It does this most of the time. Also when a driver door is opened, it is suppose to engage the parking brake and give a warning on the panel.

The safety issue is that the brakes releasing with a door opening is dangerous.

The opening of the driver door was a mistake while the car was in auto brake mode in drive. I was the driver. I was stopped for 5 minutes and realized I needed an item from the truck bed. If the Parking Brake had engaged when I opened the door, there would not have been an issue. I'm sure that other drivers have done this thinking the car was in Park, just as I did.

OP
OP
S Fox

S Fox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are two different brakes. There is a Parking Brake and there is an auto brake button to use while waiting in a drive-thru lane or waiting for marathon Red Light to change to green.

Sponsored

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
P. 198 of your Owner's Manual describes the Auto Hold feature. It does not say specifically that Auto Hold is turned off when you open any door, but I suspect that Ford didn't anticipate anyone using Auto Hold the way you are.

I wonder if Ford will update the Auto Hold logic to make it more foolproof, or simply send all Maverick owners a large yellow warning label to put by the Auto Hold button.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
So I may have jumped the gun a little bit when reacting to the OP. You are correct the parking brake should engage when the auto stop feature is engaged with the vehicle in drive and the drivers side door is opened.

The parking brake will not engage when the passenger side door is opened with the vehicle in drive and the auto stop feature engaged but the instrument screen will notify you the passenger side door is opened.

My advice moving forward though is just to try and remember to put the vehicle in Park before exiting the vehicle. That seems pretty reasonable to me.....

Last edited:

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I experienced was the vehicle automatically shifted into parked when I opened the door while in Drive, which I think it's suppose to do, but using auto hold may be different. I have never used it.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have experienced an issue twice with the auto braking. I have an XLT Hybrid with 360. 7000 miles. First issue happened two months ago. Truck was in Drive with Auto Braking ON. I opened the driver door and the auto Braking disengaged with the truck lurching forward. The Parking Brake did not engage. I had to press the brake pedal down to stop. A huge safety issue. The second time the truck was also in drive and auto brake was ON. This time the passenger door right rear was opened. Truck almost ran over my son's foot. I had to step on the brake pedal. Has anyone else had this issue?
Easy, do not open any doors while the vehicle is in drive, ever. This is user error.

You have mirrors for close-in observation of surroundings when needed, and mirrors can be adjusted.

Renho17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ya man you should never open the door when in drive. “Even” if it is suppose to engage parking brake. That is there just in case you forget but sounds like you do it often. Just don’t do it and you won’t hurt ur kids.

PS. Mine has worked everytime but barley used it Like twice maybe.

Sponsored

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
P. 198 of your Owner's Manual describes the Auto Hold feature. It does not say specifically that Auto Hold is turned off when you open any door, but I suspect that Ford didn't anticipate anyone using Auto Hold the way you are.

I wonder if Ford will update the Auto Hold logic to make it more foolproof, or simply send all Maverick owners a large yellow warning label to put by the Auto Hold button.
Yeah, like McDonalds has to warn you that their coffee is hot.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, like McDonalds has to warn you that their coffee is hot.
For good reason. The coffee was way WAY hotter than even McDonald's own internal guidelines.

The lady that sued them over that was seriously injured. Her skin was fused together. Further, she just wanted them to pay her medical bills, and they refused.

People love to laugh about this case as a mis-use of the court system, but they just hear the sound bite, and they don't know what really happened, nor do some care.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has the truck every lurched forward or almost run over your son's foot while the shifter is in Park?

Sorry to be so sarcastic, but take some responsibility for your own driving habits.

Deleted member 6544

Because of this thread I tried opening the door at a light with the auto braking on. Mine did not budge. And a red warning came one that said 'Parking brake on"
Sponsored