First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be one of the few who enjoys the auto stop/start feature but since our older F150 didn’t have it, the Maverick is my first vehicle that does.

That said, some days it works great and turns off the engine at almost every light. Other days it never will turn off the engine. Is that normal? Anyone familiar with how it should work? Thanks!

Edit: we have the EcoBoost so I’m not referring to hybrid electric to engine switching.
Sponsored

Last edited:

emkobg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
turns off the ignition
What do you mean by that? Like all the lights go off? Normally the start-stop feature wouldn't work at every stop. It will only do it in perfect conditions, where you are not cranking your AC or you are not rolling. In certain modes it will never do it. With F-150s there is a cable connected to the negative terminal of the battery, that if you disconect you will permanently disable it, without triggering any warning lights. However someone told me it affects the power saver mode, once you shut off the truck, which I don't believe. With Mavericks however I believe it's not the same. In my opinion that feature is no good for your starter and there is no benefit for gas mileage.

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Meant stops the engine, not the ignition. Thanks for info.

Tyler

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2023 Mavrick (Hybrid)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Usually if the engine isn’t full warmed up or if the AC is on the engine won’t “stop”.

I don’t know about the maverick but most start/stop vehicles I’ve driven you also need to press further down on the brake pedal to engage the engine stop. A light brake hold indicates to the vehicle that you are only stopping momentarily.

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Engine has to be up to temp, battery charge level sufficient, electrical load low enough, and HVAC system satisficed for setpoint. There are alot of reasons it will decide not to shut off.

Sponsored

Shawshi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MKX, 1980 F150, 2002 Firebird, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From page 170 of the owners manual

Ford Maverick Auto stop/start inconsistent Screenshot 2022-04-11 100230

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What do you mean by that? Like all the lights go off? Normally the start-stop feature wouldn't work at every stop. It will only do it in perfect conditions, where you are not cranking your AC or you are not rolling. In certain modes it will never do it. With F-150s there is a cable connected to the negative terminal of the battery, that if you disconect you will permanently disable it, without triggering any warning lights. However someone told me it affects the power saver mode, once you shut off the truck, which I don't believe. With Mavericks however I believe it's not the same. In my opinion that feature is no good for your starter and there is no benefit for gas mileage.
I thought I read on this site the hybrid doesn’t have a starter.

emkobg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought I read on this site the hybrid doesn’t have a starter.
I believe it does. Otherwise who kickstarts the gasoline engine when you remote started it? Or how does it start, when it switches from electric to gasoline? The hybrid technology is still alien to me, but at the end of this month hopefully I'll be getting it after a 9 month wait. ITS A BOY!

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe it does. Otherwise who kickstarts the gasoline engine when you remote started it? Or how does it start, when it switches from electric to gasoline? The hybrid technology is still alien to me, but at the end of this month hopefully I'll be getting it after a 9 month wait. ITS A BOY!
Hybrids start via the traction motors running off the HV battery not the 12v with traditional starter like the Ecoboost.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What drive mode are you in? With tow haul it disables the auto stop. Turn the wheel hit the gas it starts and won't go off as it assumes your in an intersection until you drive a bit then stop agian.

Also forgot if you have the defroster on it won't turn off. So battery gets low it fires up as well

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be one of the few who enjoys the auto stop/start feature but since our older F150 didn’t have it, the Maverick is my first vehicle that does.

That said, some days it works great and turns off the engine at almost every light. Other days it never will turn off the engine. Is that normal? Anyone familiar with how it should work? Thanks!

Edit: we have the EcoBoost so I’m not referring to hybrid electric to engine switching.
You can by the after Market Autostop Elminator from Autostopelminator.com for a $100.00 it's a plug and play option to your problem 😉
Sponsored