First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my Maverick for almost two years and have always kept the headlight switch in the Auto position without any issues . . . until recently, that is.
Now, the auto headlamp switch turns on all the proper lights except for the passenger side tail lights. Must be a burned out bulb, right? Except, both bulbs light up when the brake is applied. I replaced one of the bulbs thinking one burned out bulb might somehow be "influencing" the other one and because that seemed the simple path. No difference. If I start the truck with the headlight switch in auto, none of the rear passenger lights come on. If I turn the knob to "On", the lights work and if I turn the knob back to Auto, they stay on, but if I start the truck in auto mode, no lights in that passenger taillight. Clearly, a head scratcher. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or does it reek of 'take it to the dealer'?

Update: Decided to add this issue to my recall visit to local dealer. Dealer would not work on it because they said I had tapped into the factory wiring (added a dynamic hood light). Highly unlikely since I did that about a year ago and the switch issue is only a couple weeks old. They wanted to rewire the truck for $615. Seriously? No thanks. Did anyone bother to check the switch itself?
To clarify, two of my bulbs were incandescent and two were LED. I was trying to budget my bulb spending. Decided to go ahead and replace the remaining incans with the LasFit LED's and lo and behold, I no longer have the dead passenger side rear light issue. Go figure. However . . . now I'm getting hyperflash on my dash display, but the signal lights themselves are blinking at a normal rate. Looks like I traded one mystery for another.
Sponsored

Last edited:

My42waffles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 f150 powerboost lariat 20 fusion titanium hybri
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My first suggestion is get it to the dealer for warranty work since if it is a problem than it is the bcm(inside fuse box) that would need replacing since that is where all lights are controlled. Make sure you have both key fobs when you go.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've had my Maverick for almost two years and have always kept the headlight switch in the Auto position without any issues . . . until recently, that is.
Now, the auto headlamp switch turns on all the proper lights except for the passenger side tail lights. Must be a burned out bulb, right? Except, both bulbs light up when the brake is applied. I replaced one of the bulbs thinking one burned out bulb might somehow be "influencing" the other one and because that seemed the simple path. No difference. If I start the truck with the headlight switch in auto, none of the rear passenger lights come on. If I turn the knob to "On", the lights work and if I turn the knob back to Auto, they stay on, but if I start the truck in auto mode, no lights in that passenger taillight. Clearly, a head scratcher. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or does it reek of 'take it to the dealer'?
Keep us informed on what is happening, Dad.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going to sound stupid, but pull the bulb, turn it 180 degrees and re-insert it. See if that corrects the issue. My driver side had one bulb do the same thing after switching to Lasfit LEDs, turned the stinker 180 degrees and now it lights on the auto setting.

Mine also had the same symptom with the lock/unlock via the remote, where it wouldn't light, but WOULD momentarily flash bright (brake light), just didn't remain on afterwards with the other side in running light mode.

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep us informed on what is happening, Dad.
Thanks. I will.
A bit busy with Xmas decorations and such, so this is on the back burner. Have not found anything online about it. I'm thinking there's a bad connection at the switch . . . as in loose. I'll try just about anything short of taking anything apart before losing my truck for who knows how long to the dealer.

Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Known issue. I had it, so did others. It is not the bulbs. It is most likely the software. See: My thread

And: A second one someone pointed me to.

Edit to add: Mine seem to have gone back to normal, so I did not take it in to the dealer. If it keeps happening to you, please be the guinea pig and let us know the "official" diagnosis so we have another data point if it keeps happening to others.

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Known issue. I had it, so did others. It is not the bulbs. It is most likely the software. See: My thread

And: A second one someone pointed me to.

Edit to add: Mine seem to have gone back to normal, so I did not take it in to the dealer. If it keeps happening to you, please be the guinea pig and let us know the "official" diagnosis so we have another data point if it keeps happening to others.
Very grateful for your post. I'll check it out.

dusty1787

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick EB Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I posted this on another page, see attached, but mine is similar problems to you. hope its the software update thing that will fix it. have you had it looked at yet?

So does this recall sound like its just the system to tell me my signal(s) are not working, or going to possibly fix the issue where the whole brake/turn assembly gets the gremlin and acts up?

Currently mine (23 Lariat EB with recall in Ford App, 3k miles, vin 90XXX) will have the passenger rear assembly not come on with the normal lights. (IE will be completely dark when lights on) but if I hit the brakes or turn signal/hazards they will still work/flash. If I switch the light dial from auto to off, then back to auto, they will turn right back on like they are not acting up. But until I do this...I can remote start, lock/unlock multiple times and it will remain dark. I have to turn off then back on before it sort of "resets" it. That the initial all the lights turn on until they time out/turn off, will not happen for my passenger rear brake assembly. This is the second time I have noticed this issue in a weeks time mainly because I have the lariat and the accent light around the bulbs always stands out to me when remote starting/lights on.... and having an assembly with no lights on really stands out in the dark.

I see other people on here have posted similar experiences with turning the lights off auto, then back on and they work temporarily, but not sure if this recall is a solution to that or if now I will just get messages that the light isnt working correctly.

So thats where my question comes in, does this sound like its just for the truck to acknowledge the lights are acting up, or possibly the fix as well? I have only seen a couple posts that the BCM was possibly replaced which seemed to help the issue (may not have fixed it as time needs to pass) and yet this seems like a software update, which worries me that it may not fix the gremlin I currently have. If my video works, you can see that all the lights do work, just its acting up.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going to sound stupid, but pull the bulb, turn it 180 degrees and re-insert it. See if that corrects the issue. My driver side had one bulb do the same thing after switching to Lasfit LEDs, turned the stinker 180 degrees and now it lights on the auto setting.

Mine also had the same symptom with the lock/unlock via the remote, where it wouldn't light, but WOULD momentarily flash bright (brake light), just didn't remain on afterwards with the other side in running light mode.
Turning 180° ? Led "filaments" are +&- current sensitive and only operate if current flows in correct direction if the "bulb base" is not keyed for correct current flow you may have to rotate base. On 60 cycle ac led bulbs dim and brighten with the sine wave which cannot be detected by mankind if flashes are over 25-30(+/-) per second. Dimmable AC bulbs have multiple LED's half reversed in polarity from the other half. So half will be dimming while the other half are brightening since they see a current as variable dc voltage. Also some have say 18 led's and if one burns out the remaining 8 in that half polarity burn brighter repeating for several burn out on one of two sets.

Last edited:

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Las-Fit units aren't polarity sensitive, they work in both directions. One of mine was simply a bit temperamental in one direction, or the contact was simply not 100% facing one way, but works fine the other.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wish the light controller had an "off" position. I feel uneasy walking away with the lights on. I dislike many of the "auto" functions. More to fail.

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish the light controller had an "off" position. I feel uneasy walking away with the lights on. I dislike many of the "auto" functions. More to fail.
I'm sure you know there's a short time setting so that the lights remain on for only about 5 seconds. I have it set at that and I can barely get out of the vehicle before they go off.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder if it might be related to the latest turn signal recall. Mystery's Abound :unsure:

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if it might be related to the latest turn signal recall. Mystery's Abound :unsure:
Thanks for responding. I considered that, as well. My truck (2022) did not get a turn signal recall, so while not ruling it out, seems unlikely (?) Ok, to scoff at that . . . like you said, "mysteries abound"

dusty1787

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick EB Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks for responding. I considered that, as well. My truck (2022) did not get a turn signal recall, so while not ruling it out, seems unlikely (?) Ok, to scoff at that . . . like you said, "mysteries abound"

I just had the recall done last week or so, and just had this issue happen to me post recall. I sent a PM to the Ford Account on here and they are going to look into it. I will attach both videos below to see if maybe you experiencing the same issue as I am. If I physically turn off and on the lights, the one that is not fully lit up, will turn back on like nothing is wrong. But now it has happened to the driver side when it only happened before to passenger side.

PS, the hyperflashing issue is due to Ford Recall and the LED bulbs (rear). quite a few posts talking about that on here, plus solutions with FORSCAN if you want to turn off the notification yourself, or end up putting old bulb back in.

Sponsored