First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a way to change the service from ATT to a better carrier? I have a week before I have to renew and would love verizon if i could.
Sponsored

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Won't it just use whatever carrier you have for your cell phone?? Never known any auto to be carrier specific ;)

OP
OP
Blue1005

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Won't it just use whatever carrier you have for your cell phone?? Never known any auto to be carrier specific ;)
The truck came set up for ATT. to me that means there is a sim card or something somewhere, IDK but hate att. not my carrier and not what i would ever choose.

mktmgrjrm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the on-board connections, I believe FORD has a contract with AT&T to provide the service. I do not think you can change it.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a way to change the service from ATT to a better carrier? I have a week before I have to renew and would love verizon if i could.
The vehicle uses the AT&T 4G LTE modem in the TCU for both FordPass and the mobile hotspot feature. There is no officially supported way to use any other carrier. Perhaps it's possible with modifications, but the modem probably does not support the correct frequencies for Verizon.

Probably better off just using a portable Verizon MiFi hotspot and plugging it in, though it won't have the benefit of using the rooftop antenna for improved reception.

OP
OP
Blue1005

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the on-board connections, I believe FORD has a contract with AT&T to provide the service. I do not think you can change it.
That sucks. Its my vehicle, not theirs once the paper is signed. Not happy about that.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That sucks. Its my vehicle, not theirs once the paper is signed. Not happy about that.
Your vehicle was designed to offer the FordPass Connect and Wi-Fi hotspot features via AT&T. That's the vehicle you bought. Any modifications from that are on you...

mktmgrjrm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Assuming it's a MY23, the only thing the modem is used for is the 'connected' features like FORDPass. The mobile hotspot function was removed for 2023.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It means physically changing out a modem, an integrated piece of communications hardware that's necessary for the functioning of the vehicle's systems. It's not like swapping out floor mats.

Reactions: bgn
Sponsored

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's your vehicle, but your vehicle only has the hardware in it to use AT&T's service.

I dunno, I have a 2023, so I don't even have the option. :p

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can use whatever carrier you want. If you need a hotspot in your truck, use your phone ;)

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can use whatever carrier you want. If you need a hotspot in your truck, use your phone ;)
Exactly. The FordPass using ATT costing you nothing, Ford's paying for it, they can use the carrier of their choice. Their is no wifi/hotspot for MY23. So if you want wifi/hotspot use your phone or Verizon adapter.

GM is similar with OnStar in their vehicles. Your moaning over a non issue imo

OP
OP
Blue1005

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly. The FordPass using ATT costing you nothing, Ford's paying for it, they can use the carrier of their choice. Their is no wifi/hotspot for MY23. So if you want wifi/hotspot use your phone or Verizon adapter.

GM is similar with OnStar in their vehicles. Your moaning over a non issue imo
I can see the right to repair movement is making great strides in this group and they don't even care if you can choose your own phone service. What a joke.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can see the right to repair movement is making great strides in this group and they don't even care if you can choose your own phone service. What a joke.
FordPass is AT&T dependent and if you remove that AT&T connection, you will lose FordPass functionality. There is nothing to debate on that front as Ford isn't paying another carrier for a connection.

If you are paying for the Wi-Fi hotspot in your truck, we are all suggesting you stop because it is a waste a money because it is more economical and flexible to just get a hotspot from the carrier of your choice or use the one already built into your phone. That's isn't a rejection of right to repair; that is a rejection of using pointless features.
Sponsored