Sponsored

Atkinson motor and fuel octane

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I’m looking for someone with intimate knowledge about engines to answer a couple questions for me. I’ve been researching Atkinson motors and learning about how they work. I’ve found that the Atkinson motor used has a compression ratio of 13:1 which is pretty high. So I would think premium fuel with a higher octane would work better. However, reading about the Atkinson motors I discovered that lower octane is recommended because the ignition rate works better with the natural cycle. So…

-Would running a low octane fuel with more ethanol produce a more efficient engine?
-Will premium work better or get more power or will it just knock?
-Any ideas to get more power out of the hybrid engine?
Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
+1. I'm all ears on this detail too.

I will say one thing: notice that Ford only listed the combined horsepower of the Hybird, and not the combined torque ...

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided

I will say one thing: notice that Ford only listed the combined horsepower of the Hybird, and not the combined torque ...
Good catch!
I read that you can use 87oct.....but to get the full horsepower you need to run Premium... but that could be for the Ecoboost...I don't remember I've read about both

G Grampa Duey

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 Galaxy, '14 T rod, '22 XLT hot pepper.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
May I add a question to this thread? Does octane go down with aging, stored/unused fuel?

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m looking for someone with intimate knowledge about engines to answer a couple questions for me. I’ve been researching Atkinson motors and learning about how they work. I’ve found that the Atkinson motor used has a compression ratio of 13:1 which is pretty high. So I would think premium fuel with a higher octane would work better. However, reading about the Atkinson motors I discovered that lower octane is recommended because the ignition rate works better with the natural cycle. So…

-Would running a low octane fuel with more ethanol produce a more efficient engine?
-Will premium work better or get more power or will it just knock?
-Any ideas to get more power out of the hybrid engine?
Curious about that as well.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With an Atkinson engine the 13:1 compression is mostly theoretical. The intake valve is kept partially open at the beginning of compression so some of the A/F mix is pushed back out of the cylinder. Therefore the total compressed volume (and effective compression ratio) is lower allowing operation on regular octane. The advantage is this allows the post-combustion expansion to utilize the full stroke for maximum efficiency.

Octane rating, on its own, does not produce more power. It simply allows higher compression. So an engine that does not take advantage of this through high compression ratio or forced induction (turbo/supercharger) won't make more power. Ethanol, however, has less power density than gasoline. So regular octane fuel without ethanol will produce the highest efficiency. Availability of that will depend on where you are. Often only Premium fuel is available ethanol-free and if the cost difference is greater than the increase in efficiency it's not worth spending more.

eburatti

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Guilia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove a 2010 Fusion hybrid (similar engine) for 140,000 miles and never once put premium in it and it was fine. Mileage was good as well - over 40 in city driving, 37 highway.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ethanol, however, has less power density than gasoline
Don't tell that to just anyone. I'm suppose to be supporting corn farmers by buying gas w/ Ethanol :)

OP
OP
dvibs07

dvibs07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I just realized that too! That is crazy considering one of the best advantages of an electric motor is torque?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
regular octane fuel without ethanol will produce the highest efficiency
This is what the ethanol difference looks like in a C-Max, about 5%. The third "suspect" data set is a reduction in tire pressure (long story).
Ford Maverick Atkinson motor and fuel octane Octane Tire Pressure

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
May I add a question to this thread? Does octane go down with aging, stored/unused fuel?
Gas does go bad, that’s why people storing their classic cars over the winter use Sta-Bil or Sea Foam stabilizers.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good catch!
I read that you can use 87oct.....but to get the full horsepower you need to run Premium... but that could be for the Ecoboost...I don't remember I've read about both
Only the EcoBoost

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed^^^ with oljackfrost -- Wifey's 2.0 BS Badlands get max output with the Premium/PUG. But she only fills up with Regular/RUG

Bikeric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD XLT Hybrid Mav
With an Atkinson engine the 13:1 compression is mostly theoretical. The intake valve is kept partially open at the beginning of compression so some of the A/F mix is pushed back out of the cylinder. Therefore the total compressed volume (and effective compression ratio) is lower allowing operation on regular octane. The advantage is this allows the post-combustion expansion to utilize the full stroke for maximum efficiency.

Octane rating, on its own, does not produce more power. It simply allows higher compression. So an engine that does not take advantage of this through high compression ratio or forced induction (turbo/supercharger) won't make more power. Ethanol, however, has less power density than gasoline. So regular octane fuel without ethanol will produce the highest efficiency. Availability of that will depend on where you are. Often only Premium fuel is available ethanol-free and if the cost difference is greater than the increase in efficiency it's not worth spending more.
Any idea if the Hybrid will be Flex Fuel compatible? I would consider the ability to run E85 a Bonus. My Flex Fuel Tundra feels like an extra 50hP on E85. The computer sees you're using E85 and adjusts the injectors accordingly. Mileage drops to 9 mpg, but DANG it's a fun tank of fuel. E85 also has a cleaning effect on the injectors and exhaust system. It takes any black soot in your tail pipe away. Downside to E85 is you have to get more frequent oil changes because it tends to let a bit go past the piston rings into your oil.

cnp1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
The compression ratio they list is the physical compression ratio of the cylinder. Due to the intake valves being held open well into the compression stroke, the effective compression ratio is much less. Sort of the opposite of how a turbo engine generally has a low physical cylinder compression ratio, but high effective ratio due to the turbo. I'd bet this engine actually does better with low octane in almost all conditions. In terms of getting more power, you probably can't. That said it'd be super neat to make a dual mode atkinson cycle engine with turbo. Under full bypass it's an atkinson cycle engine, and under boost it's a miller cycle engine. Probably still needs some valve trickery though. If that could be done, you could drop the engine size down to 2.0, and have a super efficient cruising mode and a more powerful output than the 2.0 ecoboost. Maybe.
Sponsored