Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick, '15 Chevy Spark EV, '03 Honda S2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello everyone,

I hope to use this thread to record some information regarding my Ford Maverick ownership. I purchased this truck for a big project in my life, a road-trip towing a travel trailer that starts August 2023 in Montreal, Canada and will reach SoCal before returning home in late October 2023. If you have any questions or if you wish to share your experience, please do so! Also, if I haven't posted an update in a while send a message anyways and it will motivate me to update the thread. Thanks for reading me and I'm happy to be a part of this forum.

The truck
[Model Year]
2022 Ford Maverick
[Trim] Lariat EcoBoost AWD
[Color] Carbonized Grey
[Wheels & Tires] Black FX4 wheels with 235/65/17 Falken WildPeaks
[Packages] 4K Tow, Luxury, First Edition (sunroof, SIBL, soft trifold tonneau cover, hood and side decals, gloss black roof)

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] PXL_20230522_212941064

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] PXL_20230522_212930558

Purchase process
Bought used from a private owner who [up/down]graded to a 2023 Ford Ranger.
[Price] Paid $43,000 CAD + taxes (14,975%) + registration = $49,677.77 CAD ($36,650 USD)
[Odometer] 11750km (7300 miles)

The project
We are avid hikers and campers who want to travel to the USA and visit national parks in western states. We will tow a travel trailer using the Maverick.
Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685385441991

The travel trailer
We loved the look and the floor plan. We considered the Sunset Park Trailers Sun-Lite 16BH (shorter and lighter) but couldn't find a used one and didn't want to buy new.
[Model year] 2022 Viking Saga 16SFB 50th Anniversary Edition (link is for a 2023MY but it is basically the same)
[Length] 18.5 ft.
[Width] 7.33 ft.
[Height] 10 ft.
[Dry Weight (Mfg. spec)] 2,783 lbs
[Dry weight tag on my TT] 2,672 lbs
[Payload Capacity] 1,080 lbs
[GVWR] 3,863 lbs.
[Hitch Weight] 363 lbs

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] PXL_20230522_165506849

Purchase process
Bought used from a private owner.First drive back home was 200km and the Maverick handled great.
[Price] $22,500 CAD + QST (9.975%) + registration = $24,800 CAD ($18,200 USD)

Why the title?
Where to start? Our project is a big one for us. We considered many options such as renting an RV or building a camper van. After countless hours of debate and spreadsheet analysis of expenses, we concluded that buying a barely used truck to replace our Subaru Impreza and buying a used travel trailer which we would resell after the trip was the most cost effective option. Now came the hard part: finding a truck + camper combination that would allow us to fit in as many national park campgrounds as possible. Most campgrounds in parks such as Yellowstone, Zion, Joshua Tree and the like have very limited spaces for RVs and most of them are suited only for 35ft maximum combined length rigs. When trying to account for our desired comfort and autonomy levels, space for our cats, maximum towing weights we thought this combination of the Ford Maverick + Viking 16SFB was right at the limit of every parameter, hence the title. The maverick is a foot shorter than the 5th gen Ranger. We did not want an SUV because we plan to use the truck bed for future projects. Living in large metropolitan city, we really loved the form factor of the Maverick, as well as its fuel economy. The Maverick is a secondary vehicle for our household, we use an EV for 90% of our daily needs.

Towing analysis
I'm putting this out there because it may help other people and to invite constructive criticism of my analysis.
Note: the travel trailer came with a weight distribution hitch included for free. the model is
Reese 49911. There are many threads debating the necessity or safety of using a WDH on the Maverick, I'm planning on using it at the moment. I had already purchased and installed a Timbren SES on my Maverick but it doesn't engage when the WDH is used. I will try and see if it engages when the WDH is not used.

In the coming weeks, I will:
  1. Weigh the trailer empty to get the actual dry weight and tongue weight
  2. Weigh the truck empty to get the real curb weight
  3. Weigh everything I put permanently in the trailer
  4. Re-weigh the trailer at a cat scale with our stuff in it to get a realistic trailer weight and tongue weight while traveling
Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685539429954
Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685539459519

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685539719018

[GVWR] 5,205 lbs (Door jamb)
[GCVWR] 8,145 lbs (Ford specs)
[Payload Capacity] 1,322 lbs (as built, info on my door jamb)
[Curb Weight] 5,205 - 1,322 = 3,883 lbs (GVWR - Payload Capacity)
[TT GVWR] 3,863 lbs
[TT Dry Weight] 2,672 lbs (let's assume 2900 lbs)
[TT Cargo w/ max water] 450 lbs (content of water tanks (max 250lbs) + food + microwave + kitchenware + bedding + tools + RV accessories + cat litter+ propane)
[TT Cargo w/ low water] 300 lbs
[Tongue weight] TBD, assume 400 lbs
[Passenger weight] (165 + 130 + 12 + 6) = 313 lbs + daily weight variance = 340 lbs
[Weight distribution hitch] 100 lbs
[Truck cargo weight] 300 lbs (water + snacks + solar panels + tools + electronic devices + clothing + WDH)

GCVW = Truck Curb Weight + Driver & Passengers + Truck Cargo + Trailer Dry Weight + Trailer Cargo

Towing Scenarios

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685538778455

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685538959630

[What we estimate] GCVW = 3,883 + 340 + 300 + 2,900 + 300 = 7,723 lbs < 8,145 lbs

[More cargo and max water in the tanks] GCVW = 3,883 + 340 + 350 + 2,900 + 450 = 7,923 lbs < 8,145 lbs

[Worse case scenario fully loaded trailer (we will not let this happen)]
GCVW = Truck Curb Weight + Driver & Passengers + Truck Cargo + Trailer GVWR
Truck Cargo = GCVW - Truck Curb Weight + Driver + Passengers + Trailer GVWR
Truck Cargo = 8,145 - 3,883 + 340 + 3,863 = 59 lbs cargo -> just enough for 35 liters (9 gallons) of fuel

Payload = Driver & Passengers + Truck Cargo + Hitch
Payload = 340 + 350 + 400 = 1090 lbs < 1,322 lbs
Payload doesn't seem to be an issue in our use case.

After packing for our trip, I will stop at a CAT scale again to verify my hypotheses.
Here's some photos at a CAT scale I took when I brought the trailer home. The numbers don't mean too much because I had my wife, my mother-in-law and my niece in the Maverick, with a bed full of a mix of camping gear and the passenger's stuff. The trailer was close to empty. Other than the "dry" trailer equipment, there was a microwave, full 20 lbs propane tank, and the basic RV equipment in the pass-through storage (hoses, electrical cords, etc.). The weights are in kg in the pictures, here's a breakdown of the weights:

[Front axle] 2359 lbs (1070 kg)
[Rear axle] 2668 lbs (1210 kg)
[Trailer axle] 2646 lbs (1200 kg) <- assuming a 400 lbs tongue weight, the trailer with the stuff that was in it weighed approximately 3,046 lbs. I assume a 2,900lbs dry weight (meaning not accounting for the extra stuff already in the trailer) for my calculations above which I think is pretty accurate.

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] PXL_20230522_150740853
Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] PXL_20230522_150759021
Sponsored

Last edited:

MM Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Luxury w/CP360 + CP360A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. Wishing you safe travels and amazing memories!

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. Wishing you safe travels and amazing memories!
Thanks for your kind message!

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That will be an Awesome Trip. Love going to National Parks. Last year I went to Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park, Mt. Rushmore National Memorial, Devils Tower National Monument and Crazy Horse Memorial. You will make a lot a great memories!!! Good Luck and Safe Travels !

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That will be an Awesome Trip. Love going to National Parks. Last year I went to Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park, Mt. Rushmore National Memorial, Devils Tower National Monument and Crazy Horse Memorial. You will make a lot a great memories!!! Good Luck and Safe Travels !
Nice collection of parks!
We really wanted to go to Sequoia National Park but it seems there has been heavy damage to the roads this winter/spring? Not sure if it's going to still be a problem this Fall.

Sponsored

Axlesup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85K10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think the Maverick is rated for a weight distributing hitch?

Also you're allowed two 150 lb passengers in the front seats on top of your weight ratings. It's part of the sae standard.

Sounds like an awesome trip! Cat scales has an app now. It's really cool!

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fantastic calculations and planning. Wishing you a wonderful trip and hope there will be some lasting memories for you, your wife and your animals. Our furry friends ALWAYS have to be included.

What do you think you will average fuel economy wise with towing? Have you had a chance to do any towing up in your home area? What is the estimated total round trip you plan to take? I would guess you are planning a two month or more trip.

Let us know how things go with some updates enroute.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is going to be quite an awesome trip! I have done similar trips many times myself. When are you heading out? We are picking up our Tremor in Iowa on the 19th of June and going to Wisconsin, then down to the Texas/Mexico border on the 23rd. Between then and the 4th of July we will be in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and California. Looking at your map we may cross paths, though me and my wife arent exactly planning it out. We are both very experience roadtrippers, Im a former trucker, and have camped in 45 states and visited 48. When I was 18 I moved from Ohio to San Diego and hardly ever even glanced at a map. Took me 49 hrs, not a cannonball record, but I was scooting. 5 years ago we did a northern route from Ohio to LA with a good bit of offroading in a 1980 Eagle wagon. So much fun.

Let us know if you will be doing this in late June, if so maybe we can meet on top of a mountain somewhere.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I certainly don't know your age, but if your 62 or older you can purchase a LifeTime Senior Pass for $80.00, good for any U S National Park Service Park. Can order online or purchase at your first park.
https://store.usgs.gov/lifetime-senior-pass

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is going to be quite an awesome trip! I have done similar trips many times myself. When are you heading out? We are picking up our Tremor in Iowa on the 19th of June and going to Wisconsin, then down to the Texas/Mexico border on the 23rd. Between then and the 4th of July we will be in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and California. Looking at your map we may cross paths, though me and my wife arent exactly planning it out. We are both very experience roadtrippers, Im a former trucker, and have camped in 45 states and visited 48. When I was 18 I moved from Ohio to San Diego and hardly ever even glanced at a map. Took me 49 hrs, not a cannonball record, but I was scooting. 5 years ago we did a northern route from Ohio to LA with a good bit of offroading in a 1980 Eagle wagon. So much fun.

Let us know if you will be doing this in late June, if so maybe we can meet on top of a mountain somewhere.
Wow, what a wealth of experience. I'm at a weird age (32) that when I first got my driver's license I used map or I printed map itineraries when I was traveling. Now I always have my phone with a map app opened simply to "avoid traffic" and get to my destination ASAP. I'm trying to get rid of that habit.

As for the road trip dates, we are planning to leave late August and travel until late October so our paths won't cross. I wish you a great trip with your spouse!

Sponsored
OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fantastic calculations and planning. Wishing you a wonderful trip and hope there will be some lasting memories for you, your wife and your animals. Our furry friends ALWAYS have to be included.

What do you think you will average fuel economy wise with towing? Have you had a chance to do any towing up in your home area? What is the estimated total round trip you plan to take? I would guess you are planning a two month or more trip.

Let us know how things go with some updates enroute.
Thanks for the message. I did try to be as detailed as possible with the numbers in case it might help someone.
After purchasing the trailer, I had a 200km (124miles) drive home. Fuel consumption was 18L/100km (13mpg) going 108kph (67mph) on a hilly highway. I tried to use the cruise control as much as possible but I passed quite a few cars so I probably could have gotten a better fuel economy if I drove more relaxed. I think I'll drive slower in the future to see the effect on fuel consumption. I usually average 8.5L/100km (29mpg) on the highway at 115kph (71mph).
The round trip, getting from park to park should be approximately 12,000km (7450miles) without accounting for any daily travel getting to trailheads, getting groceries etc. So we're probably looking at 15000km+ over the span of 2 months.

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think the Maverick is rated for a weight distributing hitch?

Also you're allowed two 150 lb passengers in the front seats on top of your weight ratings. It's part of the sae standard.
Yeah, the WDH is listed as "Not Required" in the Ford Towing Guide for the Maverick. From the research I did on all the Maverick related websites, nobody seems to agree if "Not Required" means "Cannot be used". Ford hasn't officially chimed in. As it stands, with the WDH I have half an inch of squat and the front hasn't moved.
If someone has found definitive information regarding WDHs on the Maverick, I'd love to read it.

As for the passenger weight well you've taught me something, thanks for that! I'll try and find the spec to read it. Cheers

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the message. I did try to be as detailed as possible with the numbers in case it might help someone.
After purchasing the trailer, I had a 200km (124miles) drive home. Fuel consumption was 18L/100km (13mpg) going 108kph (67mph) on a hilly highway. I tried to use the cruise control as much as possible but I passed quite a few cars so I probably could have gotten a better fuel economy if I drove more relaxed. I think I'll drive slower in the future to see the effect on fuel consumption. I usually average 8.5L/100km (29mpg) on the highway at 115kph (71mph).
The round trip, getting from park to park should be approximately 12,000km (7450miles) without accounting for any daily travel getting to trailheads, getting groceries etc. So we're probably looking at 15000km+ over the span of 2 months.
Now that is a vacation. My experience over the years (I am 76 yrs old and have towed trailers for 45 yrs until I went the Motor Home route) is that if you can keep it around 55-58 mph, you can jump 2-3 mpg. I know it aggravates other drivers, but I just relax and let them get their blood pressure up. Make your trip peaceful and relaxing and enjoy it.

Axlesup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85K10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, the WDH is listed as "Not Required" in the Ford Towing Guide for the Maverick. From the research I did on all the Maverick related websites, nobody seems to agree if "Not Required" means "Cannot be used". Ford hasn't officially chimed in. As it stands, with the WDH I have half an inch of squat and the front hasn't moved.
If someone has found definitive information regarding WDHs on the Maverick, I'd love to read it.

As for the passenger weight well you've taught me something, thanks for that! I'll try and find the spec to read it. Cheers
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/

Pretty neat stuff.

OP
OP
guigson

guigson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great article, thanks for sharing. Here's what I take from it. I could theoretically subtract 300 lbs from my passenger weight calculation, as well as 100lbs of cargo I had slated for my WDH. That's because the SAE J2807 standard defines Tow Weight Rating = GCWR - TVTW and TVTW is already Curb Weight + 150lbs driver, 150 lbs passenger and 100lbs of towing equipment.

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] Screenshot_20230529-222038
Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] Screenshot_20230529-222113

Let's look at the Maverick's numbers (w/ 4K Tow). Given that GVWR is listed at 8,145 lbs in the Ford Towing Guide and the Tow Weight Rating is 4,000 lbs then that means the TVTW value when Ford tested the Maverick was 4,145 lbs. Subtracting 300lbs of passengers and 100lbs of towing equipment we'd get a test mule Maverick with a curb weight of 3,615 lbs. I estimated my own Maverick at 3,883 lbs curb weight using the GVWR - Payload. It would make sense if their test mule was an XL with 4k tow while my truck is a fully optioned out Lariat.

Ford Maverick At The Limit : Min-maxing, or a game of compromises - [Epic Trailer Towing Roadtrip Montreal <---> SoCal] 1685415086599

I'm not sure about this analysis I just did. If someone with a better understanding can chime in I'd appreciate. There is so much to unpack and so much I have yet to learn.
Sponsored

Last edited: