Sponsored

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
ironic they blame the popularity on the hybrid feature when almost no hybrids are being sold. media for ya i guess

i would guess only on this forum is hybrid more popular. in real world i expect maybe 80% or more to be ecoboost even though it's more expensive.
Sponsored

edcrawfordlv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
ironic they blame the popularity on the hybrid feature when almost no hybrids are being sold. media for ya i guess

i would guess only on this forum is hybrid more popular. in real world i expect maybe 80% or more to be ecoboost even though it's more expensive.
Why? I purchased the hybrid because I wanted better mileage and I wanted a vehicle that was cheaper than my Rav4 Hybrid. Didn't really care the it was a pickup. Why would most people want an Ecoboost when the hybrid is cheaper? What am I missing out on?

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
" Ford sold 13,258 Mavericks in the final three months of 2021, and 2,311 of those were hybrid. "

so much for the idea that hybrids were majority of all orders
The Hybrid was delayed till December. So, the Hybrid sold would have only been those built and shipped and received by end of December 2021, so not sure the sold reflects orders considering they stopped taking Hybrid orders.

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Assuming there are no major issues with the first model year of the hybrid, a year to 18 months from now it will be 75 to 25 percent hybrids.

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anybody know what the sales numbers in general for two wheel drive versus four wheel drive pickups is? Most 2 wheel drive pickups are rear wheel drive which tend to be worse for snow and Ice. I believe but I'm not sure that most cars are front wheel drive versus rear wheel drive. Also consider the hybrid is just cheaper than the alternative for the Maverick. I can't say I really ordered the Maverick hybrid because it was a hybrid as much as because it was cheaper. I didn't want a turbo just for longevity but I wouldn't have paid more for a hybrid over a standard engine. Since people are still buying two wheel drive pickups that are not hybrids and a hybrid is cheaper than the alternative I have to believe people will buy the Maverick in fairly the same or greater portion than they were buying the other two wheel drive options.

Sponsored

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anybody know what the sales numbers in general for two wheel drive versus four wheel drive pickups is? Most 2 wheel drive pickups are rear wheel drive which tend to be worse for snow and Ice. I believe but I'm not sure that most cars are front wheel drive versus rear wheel drive. Also consider the hybrid is just cheaper than the alternative for the Maverick. I can't say I really ordered the Maverick hybrid because it was a hybrid as much as because it was cheaper. I didn't want a turbo just for longevity but I wouldn't have paid more for a hybrid over a standard engine. Since people are still buying two wheel drive pickups that are not hybrids and a hybrid is cheaper than the alternative I have to believe people will buy the Maverick in fairly the same or greater portion than they were buying the other two wheel drive options.
Researched this question, and as of 2020, just over half of all new vehicles sold in the US were either AWD or 4WD for the first time. For trucks, just under 75% of all pickups are 4WD or AWD, with the vast majority of those 4WD, as most trucks are RWD-based. For SUVs (truck and car-based) and MPVs like minivans, 63% were AWD or 4WD. Rest were almost all FWD, with a few available and sold in RWD.

For new cars, almost 75% are FWD, with about 15% AWD and 11% RWD. Given the Maverick is based on the Ford C2 FWD platform, it's FWD-based, with AWD as an option, just like the Ford Escape, Ford Bronco Sport, and Lincoln Corsair. In Europe and Australia, the Ford Focus is still produced on the C2 FWD platform for those countries and sold as a FWD-only model. (Interestingly, almost all gas Focus cars still sold there use the 1.0 EB 3-cyl engine. Some Diesel versions of larger 4-cyl engines are also still available for a Focus, along with a mild hybrid based on the 1.0 EB.)

I suspect the Maverick Hybrid is FWD-only, at least for now, because of the parts shortages, not because Ford can't do it. If they are having trouble meeting demand for FWD Hybrid Mavericks, and Hybrids in general, why make things more complicated by also not being able to meet demand for an AWD Hybrid.

Focus what you've got and can deliver, and right now Hybrids in general are tough to get. So, for right now, the 2.0 EB, either FWD or AWD, is easier to produce and deliver, although still somewhat constrained. Hybrid production will grow over time, and I suspect AWD will be available at sometime in the future. The current generation Maverick will likely be in production for at least 8 years, so likely lots of things will get introduced for that generation over time.

We'll see what happens.

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
I love being out of the main buyer categories. I’m a 30 year old male who just realizes that I don’t need a full-size or mid-size truck. I took one look at a Maverick XL in-person and knew it was the perfect size for my needs. I liked the modern but utilitarian interior and both power options have me struggling to make a firm decision.

Goose..you there?

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it proved a lot of truck owners left the market, but are still out there looking for a basic truck.
The the older Chevy WT comes to mind.
Hell ya! I need to retire my 97 WT, but the girl just keeps going! Old diesels never die, just rust apart! Lol

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Nah, most people buy this because of the functionality, good looks, low price and the 40MPG hybrid fuel economy. It's the lower up front cost and the fuel economy that caused most of the buzz, the ecoboost gets a rather paltry 25mpg, most people don't need that engine. Current gas prices also pushed the drive to the hybrid, people are buying this because they see it as an excellent economic decision and can foresee themselves being set for the next 10 years.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What goes through my mind is that If Ford canabalizes their mid sized truck sales they will HAVE to raise the price on the Maverick. Otherwise their profits and their future may be severely impacted. But I believe that a large group of people want this small truck. I have driven trucks my entire life starting in 1984 ( VW pickup ) I am not about to start buying a car. So I kept buying bigger and bigger and now it's just too crazy they are too big for the City. I've been crazed asking why we can't buy a small truck. Here comes Maverick! I can't be the only one?
one reason Ford will likely keep the price low is that they need to meet fuel economy standards across their fleet and the 40mpg maverick gives them some latitude when being offset by F-x50s adn other gas guzzles.

Sponsored

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the 1st early published estimate from a Ford rep I saw said they hoped to sell 100k annually. Later I saw a revised official estimate of 110-115k. There were reports of 100k orders, then shortly after they announced deadline for cutting off new hybrid orders. I placed my ECO 2.0 order 1 month after that. I'll be shocked if hybrid orders show same popularity of ECO 2.0 after the dust settles and production capability is same for both versions.
you can still order an ecoboost, hybrids have been a no go for two months, so why do you think ecoboosts are the most popular? 40mpg vs 25 mpg is a big deal - many people buying a $20 K vehicle also want to be able to economize when it comes to driving it so the hybrid would be the choice. They'd still be getting hybrid orders if they hadn't exhausted their inventory of those engines. All things being equal the hybrid would have a mininum of 60/40 orders.

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's how many were sold, not ordered. By far, the hybrid will outsell the ecoboost once Ford starts producing enough of them.
If ford were to offer awd option package on hybrid and hybrid package with higher tow capacity they could do away with the other version and complexity of handling two different drive trains. IMHO ecoboost sales are primarily based on awd and tow capacity not aversion to hybrid.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Let me see if I get this...
  • A vehicle is only "sold" when it has been shipped and delivered.
  • Ford has been shipping EcoBoost for a few months, but only shipping hybrids for a month.
  • You think current sales figures are a better measure of demand than orders.
Did I understand you correctly?
I just call em as I see em based on context and situation. If that seems inconsistent to you, it only underlines the fact we don't have a universally accepted Gold Standard metric to use in our discussions and arguments on this board. The only official release of stats from Ford we DO have is Built and Sold. Everything else is speculation with opinion, bias, and maybe some wishful thinking thrown in. Your endless attempts to find a convincing winning argument are tiring and a waste of bandwidth.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
you can still order an ecoboost, hybrids have been a no go for two months, so why do you think ecoboosts are the most popular? 40mpg vs 25 mpg is a big deal - many people buying a $20 K vehicle also want to be able to economize when it comes to driving it so the hybrid would be the choice. They'd still be getting hybrid orders if they hadn't exhausted their inventory of those engines. All things being equal the hybrid would have a mininum of 60/40 orders.
you're entitiled to your opinion, I just don't agree. People wanting maximum MPG are 1 of the groups Ford targeted successfully, but it aint the whole enchilada.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I guess it depends on where in the pipeline you are looking. At the delivery end hybrids look pretty puny, for the reasons already discussed above on this thread. But if you are looking at the ordering end, I refer you to our very similar exchange 3 months ago.

There I gave you links to three sources indicating a strong hybrid bias in ordering and noted that I had seen nothing contradicting those sources. You never got back to me with any contrary information, so I assumed you had none. Maybe you have some now. (Since then things have changed a bit, of course. Mainly because the hybrid ordering rate has been zero since the cutoff while EcoBoost ordering continues.)

When everything I can find points in the same direction, I tend to think that's the most likely story. I guess I could say "the info isn't good enough so I will believe the opposite" (for which, by the way, I have found no support at all). But that's just not the way I analyze things.
I actually have a very busy life and don't stalk people all day long on here with near instant quoted replies to keep circular arguments alive like you apparently do. You're not going to get essay level lengthy replies from me on every point or counter point. I'll continue to pick and choose or ignore based on my level of interest and time. My main purpose for being here was information gathering to help make my decision whether to buy a Maverick or not. I ordered my truck and My Mission has been accomplished. I have reached the Point of Diminishing returns doing more than lurking and a quick review of topics when time allows. Carry on...
Sponsored