Sponsored

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
https://jalopnik.com/i-regret-to-inform-you-that-the-ford-maverick-might-be-1847033386

Ford officially confirmed it will be making the Maverick Thursday night, a properly small truck that might also be a hybrid, or at least have a hybrid option, if not a plug-in electric hybrid option, though we can dream. The Maverick will also reportedly start at under $20,000. It looks like Ford has finally decided to make a good truck?

Now, Ford makes plenty of perfectly fine trucks, but the issue with Ford’s trucks, like all trucks these days, is that Ford’s trucks are too big. I remember when the new Ford Ranger emerged, and we all got very excited initially that maybe Ford would be making a small truck. We were wrong.

We might be right, though, in thinking that the Maverick could be a good, actually-small truck. We will know for sure later this year, when Automotive News says it will go on sale. For now, signs are pointing in the right direction and the price is right.

Suppliers have been told to prepare for annual volumes of 110,000, according to a person with knowledge of the plans. Production is expected to begin in late July, and the truck is expected to go on sale later this year.
Ford has told dealers that the truck will start at less than $20,000, effectively serving as an entry-level replacement for the company’s discontinued sedans.
Ford making a truck to make up for the fact that it bailed on the Fiesta is just about the most American thing ever, but I don’t hate it. In fact, if this thing is less than 17 feet long and doesn’t stand too high off the ground, I might even buy it. If this thing comes in a regular cab version, I’m definitely buying it.

And while I’m a little perplexed why Ford is doing this now — the profit margin on a vehicle that starts at under $20,000 can’t be big — I’m not going to overthink it. Which means: Over to you, GM. The S10 is long-overdue for a reboot.
Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
110,000 units expect to be sold in first year, I hope they meet and exceed their target. The more that buyers like and purchase, the more options/ variants Ford will hopefully follow-up with throughout its production run.

I seems a bit high, but then again, I recall reading Bronco Sport has already sold 52,000+ units YTD.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I know the rumor is Ford is targeting the fleet buyer with the base trim but what kind of fleet buyer would want a small crew cab truck with a small bed?

General buyer + Fleet sales is maybe the idea for that number?

OP
OP

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
I know the rumor is Ford is targeting the fleet buyer with the base trim but what kind of fleet buyer would want a small crew cab truck with a small bed?
Not sure if everywhere, but around here factories, parts suppliers, utilities, pool cleaners, pest control, supervisors for lawn/construction/etc... all drive older smaller trucks/smallest fleet truck they can buy.

Sponsored

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I sure hope Ford nails the Maverick. Just because it's going to be one of the cheapest products in their portfolio doesn't mean it has to feel cheap as well. I should only be cheap price-wise, not quality-wise (to a certain degree).

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
But they're regular or extended cabs, not crew cabs right?
I work in heavy civil. In my area, I see a lot of county, VDOT, and consulting inspectors with crew cab mid to full-sized trucks with empty beds. They would benefit more from a Maverick than what they're driving. What's funny is for my company, some of the biggest, most capable trucks are owned by office staff that rarely do visits in the field.

For me, I'd like a Mav to just have the bed utility for occasional uses. Helping move something too big to fit in the truck. Bring something messy to the dump. Pick up some items from the contractor store for guys in the field. An excuse to throw my drums in the trunk to jam at a friend's place. Stuff like that. I'd just probably get a tonneau for days I need to cover stuff or prevent stuff from falling in.

Clyde Fromona

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S10
I sure hope Ford nails the Maverick. Just because it's going to be one of the cheapest products in their portfolio doesn't mean it has to feel cheap as well. I should only be cheap price-wise, not quality-wise (to a certain degree).
A couple weeks ago I walk through the local Ford new truck lot and honed in on the half dozen Broncos they had. All were drab colors. After peering through driver's side cargo window I put out my index finger and pressed against the fender. The sheet metal easily gave in 3/8 inch and I reflexively pulled back.
I didn't want to be on video vandalizing vehicles.
Got back to my 2000 Forest green S-10 and did the same. Pressing similar pressure almost sprained my finger.
No give in the S-10 fender.
Well, things change in 20 years.
Yes, I hope the plan is for higher quality.

I just for the

Sponsored

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A couple weeks ago I walk through the local Ford new truck lot and honed in on the half dozen Broncos they had. All were drab colors. After peering through driver's side cargo window I put out my index finger and pressed against the fender. The sheet metal easily gave in 3/8 inch and I reflexively pulled back.
I didn't want to be on video vandalizing vehicles.
Got back to my 2000 Forest green S-10 and did the same. Pressing similar pressure almost sprained my finger.
No give in the S-10 fender.
Well, things change in 20 years.
Yes, I hope the plan is for higher quality.

I just for the
That’s more of a safety aspect. The more rigid a product, the less energy it absorbs or disperses. Hence why cars from the 1950s often drove after a bad crash. Not with the original occupants as they didn’t live often. Now, when you see a wrecked new car the fenders and so on are blown to bits but the main cabin area is almost intact and all occupants survived

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://jalopnik.com/i-regret-to-inform-you-that-the-ford-maverick-might-be-1847033386

Ford officially confirmed it will be making the Maverick Thursday night, a properly small truck that might also be a hybrid, or at least have a hybrid option, if not a plug-in electric hybrid option, though we can dream. The Maverick will also reportedly start at under $20,000. It looks like Ford has finally decided to make a good truck?

Now, Ford makes plenty of perfectly fine trucks, but the issue with Ford’s trucks, like all trucks these days, is that Ford’s trucks are too big. I remember when the new Ford Ranger emerged, and we all got very excited initially that maybe Ford would be making a small truck. We were wrong.

We might be right, though, in thinking that the Maverick could be a good, actually-small truck. We will know for sure later this year, when Automotive News says it will go on sale. For now, signs are pointing in the right direction and the price is right.

Ford making a truck to make up for the fact that it bailed on the Fiesta is just about the most American thing ever, but I don’t hate it. In fact, if this thing is less than 17 feet long and doesn’t stand too high off the ground, I might even buy it. If this thing comes in a regular cab version, I’m definitely buying it.

And while I’m a little perplexed why Ford is doing this now — the profit margin on a vehicle that starts at under $20,000 can’t be big — I’m not going to overthink it. Which means: Over to you, GM. The S10 is long-overdue for a reboot.

Most of the profits come from after-sale service and parts.

Dealers need something to sell to the masses that isn't 50K.

Ford needs to have entry-level vehicles for brand loyalty.

The margin on a made-in-Mexico vehicle will be a lot higher than one built in the US

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most of the profits come from after-sale service and parts.

Dealers need something to sell to the masses that isn't 50K.

Ford needs to have entry-level vehicles for brand loyalty.

The margin on a made-in-Mexico vehicle will be a lot higher than one built in the US

all good points- which escape the lame jalopnick article author. I would also add economies of scale targeting 100k+ annual sales, the shared global platform reducing costs in Bill of Materials, and multiple trim levels starting with XL and ending up with a fully loaded Lariat selling at $40k+. Then you could go higher with a Raptor, OTX, Badlands whatever version later. I have no 1st hand knowledge of sales breakdowns on Fords trucks with multiple price points, but I would bet less than 20% will buy entry level XL versions and a majority lean towards more pricey & profitable loaded versions.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
110K a year really isn't a lot though, even with platform sharing.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
110K a year really isn't a lot though, even with platform sharing.
compared to what exactly? how about these 3 2020 USA sales below... fyi, platform sharing doesn't mean you total all vehciles using same platform- the 110K target is just for Maverick, doesn't include BroncoSport or others.

Honda Ridgeline – US – By Year

Nissan Frontier – US – By Year

Ford Ranger – US – By Year

Sponsored

Last edited: