Sponsored

Are you Ceramic Coating your Maverick ? Cost ?

NCbronco

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick2017 F250, 2017 CR-V, 1974 Bronco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Who has had there Maverick ceramic coating done to it ? If so, what is it costing you ? Checking to see if it`s worth the price or not ? Thanks
Sponsored

Dogcmp6

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was looking at a DIY ceramic coat, but I think I am going to try the Adams Polishes Graphene spray, or Turtle Wax flex...I cant afford professional ceramic coating, and I mean its a thirty thousand dollar truck, not a sports car, so its going to get dirty, and probably some scratches and dents...I live in an apartment, so I have to find 2-3 hours to go to the local rip and drip to take care of washing, clay bar, and applying the coat...Im hoping to do it sunday, ill report back

TXM2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FWD ECO Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are many "consumer" grade ceramic (and non-ceramic) coatings available nowadays. Those claim 1-2 years life. Following any decent youtube instruction, anyone should be able to DIY it.

THE BIGGEST concern with a ceramic coat is that you'll be "locking in" what's underneath it. So, the real hard work and art behind a ceramic coating job is the paint preparation and making sure paint is as perfect as possible before "freezing" its looks with the coat. A professional job will make sure those scratches are not there prior to the application. That, and other measures and processes, make a pro job what it costs.

Now, thinking a "30K" truck, it's easy to think of a DYI ceramic coat as a temporary protection and enjoy its benefits (easy cleanup, and longer lasting "clean" looks). Consumer grade, DIY coatings are probably the best option for whoever want their Mavericks ceramic coated. They range from $15 for the hybrid-ceramic coats sold @ Walmart to $75 sold at specialty stores. Different methods of application depending on the product. Some are more forgiving than others. If you're the DYI kind of person, a consumer grade will be fine. If not, a professional job can range from $600 to $1500 depending on the paint condition and product applied.

Do keep in mind, ceramic coats are not a film, so it won't protect from scratches. They will protect from some chemicals, elements and keeping your car looking clean and shiny. Most ceramic coats are easily removed with a light polishing job. Professional products are "good" up for 5 years, but requires maintenance yearly by the profe$$ional for warranty to stand.

You're probably thinking, "but my truck is brand new so there should not be scratches". Well, you would be wrong. Since their birth, cars are exposed to all kinds of elements and mistreatments from their handlers, including machine washes at dealerships pre-delivery (yes, even some of the most high end ones). All that installs scratches. If you're not too picky and just want the benefits of a ceramic coat, a DIY may work very well. Or if you're handy with a polisher and are ok with "good-enough" too.

Important to know: Ceramic coats are not infallible. I've had many cars stained by bird droppings, bug guts and tree sap as well as standing water drops. Some chemicals in those are strong enough to eat through it if left long enough. And unfortunately, in regards to water drops, ceramic coatings further magnify the "lens effect" of standing water drops and hurt the paint when left to dry under the sun. Ceramic coats are not an "install and forget" solution. There's some maintenance and care required, but the looks, in my mind, justifies it.

In short, ceramic coating is OK as long as you're either willing to carry on with the maintenance or live with the mild consequences of not doing it. Either way, the looks are worth it.

Gabbydad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are many "consumer" grade ceramic (and non-ceramic) coatings available nowadays. Those claim 1-2 years life. Following any decent youtube instruction, anyone should be able to DIY it.

THE BIGGEST concern with a ceramic coat is that you'll be "locking in" what's underneath it. So, the real hard work and art behind a ceramic coating job is the paint preparation and making sure paint is as perfect as possible before "freezing" its looks with the coat. A professional job will make sure those scratches are not there prior to the application. That, and other measures and processes, make a pro job what it costs.

Now, thinking a "30K" truck, it's easy to think of a DYI ceramic coat as a temporary protection and enjoy its benefits (easy cleanup, and longer lasting "clean" looks). Consumer grade, DIY coatings are probably the best option for whoever want their Mavericks ceramic coated. They range from $15 for the hybrid-ceramic coats sold @ Walmart to $75 sold at specialty stores. Different methods of application depending on the product. Some are more forgiving than others. If you're the DYI kind of person, a consumer grade will be fine. If not, a professional job can range from $600 to $1500 depending on the paint condition and product applied.

Do keep in mind, ceramic coats are not a film, so it won't protect from scratches. They will protect from some chemicals, elements and keeping your car looking clean and shiny. Most ceramic coats are easily removed with a light polishing job. Professional products are "good" up for 5 years, but requires maintenance yearly by the profe$$ional for warranty to stand.

You're probably thinking, "but my truck is brand new so there should not be scratches". Well, you would be wrong. Since their birth, cars are exposed to all kinds of elements and mistreatments from their handlers, including machine washes at dealerships pre-delivery (yes, even some of the most high end ones). All that installs scratches. If you're not too picky and just want the benefits of a ceramic coat, a DIY may work very well. Or if you're handy with a polisher and are ok with "good-enough" too.

Important to know: Ceramic coats are not infallible. I've had many cars stained by bird droppings, bug guts and tree sap as well as standing water drops. Some chemicals in those are strong enough to eat through it if left long enough. And unfortunately, in regards to water drops, ceramic coatings further magnify the "lens effect" of standing water drops and hurt the paint when left to dry under the sun. Ceramic coats are not an "install and forget" solution. There's some maintenance and care required, but the looks, in my mind, justifies it.

In short, ceramic coating is OK as long as you're either willing to carry on with the maintenance or live with the mild consequences of not doing it. Either way, the looks are worth it.
thanks for the thoughtful repsonse as I wrangle to establish a maintenance protocal for my new car.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I'm looking for the best option to "set it and forget it" with normal routine washing and detailing. I'd be more apt to pay a little extra up front for a more trouble-free appearance - but not with additional maintenance and care concerns added afterwards. Yeah, I'm old and lazy... 😁

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
First off, GREAT detailed response!
Also, to emphasize the point above, given the Mavs reputation for not having the best paint, one might have a handful of rock chips/etc to address from just driving it home from the dealership. DEFINTELY gonna be worth it to put in some good prep upfront.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided

I used to detail cars for a living and I couldn't think of anything else to add! Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Yeah, I'm looking for the best option to "set it and forget it" with normal routine washing and detailing. I'd be more apt to pay a little extra up front for a more trouble-free appearance - but not with additional maintenance and care concerns added afterwards. Yeah, I'm old and lazy... 😁
If you want decent protection with normal washing, I'd wash the car once a week, wax it once a month, and claybar it twice a year. No need for extensive polishing unless you're trying to get a show-car shine. Waxing will fill in light swirls and scratches but they'll reappear once the wax wears off, hence why you keep it waxed.

Don't need super fancy stuff either. Applying two coats of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (in the maroon bottle that's like $7) a month will make your car look better than 90% of those on the road and keep the clearcoat from peeling. If you have a decent cordless drill, using the Meguiar's DA Power System will let you apply a much more even and thin coat than what you could do by hand.

Step it up a notch and you could use Meguiar's Ultimate wax in the black bottle. It's glossier since it doesn't have a polishing component in it like Cleaner Wax, and its synthetic so it lasts a bit longer.

Of course you can use whatever products you choose. I used Meguiar's (their Mirror Glaze professional stuff) when I detailed cars but a lot of fellow detailers use Mothers or Adams or Chemical Guys with similar results.

TXM2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FWD ECO Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you want decent protection with normal washing, I'd wash the car once a week, wax it once a month, and claybar it twice a year. No need for extensive polishing unless you're trying to get a show-car shine. Waxing will fill in light swirls and scratches but they'll reappear once the wax wears off, hence why you keep it waxed.

Don't need super fancy stuff either. Applying two coats of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (in the maroon bottle that's like $7) a month will make your car look better than 90% of those on the road and keep the clearcoat from peeling. If you have a decent cordless drill, using the Meguiar's DA Power System will let you apply a much more even and thin coat than what you could do by hand.

Step it up a notch and you could use Meguiar's Ultimate wax in the black bottle. It's glossier since it doesn't have a polishing component in it like Cleaner Wax, and its synthetic so it lasts a bit longer.

Of course you can use whatever products you choose. I used Meguiar's (their Mirror Glaze professional stuff) when I detailed cars but a lot of fellow detailers use Mothers or Adams or Chemical Guys with similar results.
NICE! I'll add this information to my arsenal. Thanks!!

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

One thing to remember if you intend to put PPF on your truck, do that before the Ceramic Coat since it won't hold the PPF after it's ceramic coated.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was looking at a DIY ceramic coat, but I think I am going to try the Adams Polishes Graphene spray, or Turtle Wax flex...I cant afford professional ceramic coating, and I mean its a thirty thousand dollar truck, not a sports car, so its going to get dirty, and probably some scratches and dents...I live in an apartment, so I have to find 2-3 hours to go to the local rip and drip to take care of washing, clay bar, and applying the coat...Im hoping to do it sunday, ill report back
I used Adams Polishes Graphene spray on both my Harleys and they look great! I'm planning on doing my 🦄 😁 if Ford ever gets around to building it!! 🤬

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Very well stated! The prep is the key! 👏👏👏

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
I went ahead and got a quote for ceramic coating just to see... it was $1500 and therefore not worth it for me given I'll be taking my truck to the motocross track and loading a dirtbike in it weekly, etc. However, I did see Carbon_Mav on here with his build thread that used Carpro Hydro2 that I picked up on Amazon... just tried it out on the new vehicle that arrived today and used my pressure washer to apply the coating after misting the panels. Looks amazing and for the price a nice tradeoff that will only take an application every so often to keep the paint and truck looking brand new.

Before... (truck was dirty to be fair).. first pic
Second pic - wash and carpro hydro2lite

Ford Maverick Are you Ceramic Coating your Maverick ? Cost ? image_50440193.JPG

Ford Maverick Are you Ceramic Coating your Maverick ? Cost ? First Wash.JPG

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been checking on PPF and ceramic coating.

I have one quote for $2,600 that includes a small frontal bra of PPF and the complete truck coated.

Im waiting on an another one now but from my initial conversation, I’m sure it won’t be far off. $2,000-3,000.

Edit: Got my other quote 😳

Full frontal doghouse and mirrors PPF. Full vehicle ceramic coated. $4,400. 😔. That ain’t in the cards.

Last edited:

HybridOnOrder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to be: Maverick XLT, Lux PKG, Moonroof, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I definitely am going to put a really good ceramic coating on mine, but not for at least six months after I get it. I want to make sure this brand new paint is fully cured. And all the gases or whatever have breathed out of the paint. I love detailing, actually, very satisfying and frees up your mind.
Sponsored