Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have a XLT FX4k on order with Granger in Iowa. As of last week I was told I am 160th in line. What that means is not really figured but I am hoping for a fall or early winter delivery so I can fly to Iowa from Maui(home) to pick up my truck and road trip it to the coast before shipping it. We very much want a cap to increase the flexibility of our truck for our uses(DD, laundry, water pickup, beach days, camping, and occasional hauling. We plan on getting a cap with rack capabilities aswell as installing a pair of cab racks to make a significant lumber hauling capability.

So far the only cap that fits for us is the ARE DCU Max. It is available with opening side doors and racks. The load capacity of the racks is unclear but dealers have told me that 200-250 is likely the recomended capacity. Which combined with 200lb up front is fairly decent enough. I will guage the construction and decide for myself in the end. We plan on getting dual opening side doors with windows, however opening window vents may not be available for such a small cap. So we may end up with a drivers side door and a passenger side opening window if available. If not we will get both side doors and install windows ourself. Wait time for a build is expected to 16 to 20 weeks.

The price for the 26" cap itself is $3049, however we have since decided that the 23" will be better for us and that should come down a little bit. The other options we checked was the rear 1/2 door with window, that was $95. We also chose a sliding window at the front of the cap for $85. The racks added on top were $295. I am still unsure if that is the heaviest duty rack option. There are others but they do not specify. Also I do not want steel racks as EVERY single steel rack or basket will begin to rust on Maui before I pay the truck off.

So the total being $3494 puts it in direct competition with the Leer/Snugtop model. Which is not available with a sliding front window or a rack of any kind. So you trade style(if fiberglass is your preference) for capability. I did build a different cap with lots of lighting, interior skin, and different racks and at the 29" height it was priced closer to $6000 so you can spend a bunch of money if you want to. I am pretty good with 12v electricity so I will install lighting myself.

Well what do you all think, I feel its a good deal. Does anyone else who has a cap of any kind have any insight on their experience? Anyone want a cap, but havent seen what you want yet? For the folks on here who are gonna say why dont you get an SUV. 2 things, they havent built the 4x4 Transit Connect/MavVan yet. And you CAN NOT hose dog hair and piss out of carpet! Also I already have an AMC Eagle!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Update. We havent oredered the cap yet. We are awaiting an email from Granger about our place in line/constraint droppin inquiry. Fingers crossed we will make the MY22 cut but we are right on the line. Im about to drop the full size spare and spray in bedliner, leaving our only real option as the inverter. Just a Blue XLTFX4k with proper AT tires. Once we get that figured out I think we will send in our 50% deposit on the cap. Fingers crossed for a mainland roadtrip between Thanksgiving and Christmas.