Sponsored

Are Car, Truck, Motorcycle Dealers a thing of the past?

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've met a number of higher level vehicle dealers and manufacturers that feel that the current model of manufacturers selling through dealers is just not working.

Dealers are dependent on manufacturers to deliver the goods and they are not delivering them on a timely schedule. Currently most dealers struggle to survive due to lack of product and try to make up lost revenue that ends up gouging the buyer with fake, rigged markup.

My large local BMW dealer mutually dropped their franchise due to difficulty in getting product and manufacturer not happy with customer complaints from dealer service and treatment.

Will future dealerships turn into simply service centers. Buy your vehicle over the internet, pick it up and get it serviced from the local dealer service center. Or will manufacturers simply take over the service centers. Only consumer issue to solve is "where do I go to take a test drive?" A number of the electric vehicle manufacturers are already approaching the market with themselves being the owner operators of service centers. Electric vehicles will be like Personal Computers, you fix the machine by replacing components.

Tesla tried to sell direct in Georgia, and other states, but dealership lobbyist stopped Tesla in their tracks.

I personally have purchased my last 5 vehicles over the internet with a "Build/Price" software application. I tried to by the Maverick from three different dealerships and it was so frustrating dealing with a sales rep that knew far less than I did about the features of the Maverick, or they kept trying to upsell me to a Ranger or F150 since they did not have Mavericks at the time.
Sponsored

Last edited: