Sponsored

Are Canadian dealers trying to pass on price increases when you pick up your order?

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got the call from the dealer that my Maverick arrived, but he started reading through the options to confirm and he mentioned the trailer hitch at $400. I checked my paperwork afterwards and it's listed at $140 when I ordered in November. Maybe he was reading from the waybill or window sticker? I checked the build and price on the Ford Canada and it has indeed increased to that amount along with the base price. Making me a little antsy for my visit tomorrow to finalize the paperwork.
Sponsored

Huddaboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Gray, XLT, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer said he was supposed to charge the increase but said they would absorb it and believed it was wrong for ford to do that. Whether or not it was true I paid the lower price when my order went in Oct 2021.

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I paid the price that was quoted when I ordered in December and accepted delivery in May. My sales guy mentioned that the exact same truck is $1400 more in May lol

OP
OP
Montevilla

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, they did try to charge me the increased prices. The argument was that even though I placed the order in November, they only got their allowance for it in March after the price increased. It was $1800 more on the window sticker (base price + trailer hitch increases). After a bit of protesting and a few rounds of "let me go see the sales director", they agreed to honor the original price saying they would deal with getting the money back from Ford. Luckily, I had the original purchase offer in hand since I'm not convinced this wasn't all a show and they were trying their luck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

avane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Impreza 5-dr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, they did try to charge me the increased prices. The argument was that even though I placed the order in November, they only got their allowance for it in March after the price increased. It was $1800 more (base price + trailer hitch increases) on the window sticker. After a bit of protesting and a few rounds of "let me go see the sales director", they agreed to honor the original price saying they would deal with getting the money back from Ford. Luckily, I had the original purchase offer in hand since I'm not convinced this wasn't all a show and they were trying their luck.
I believe it's illegal to do any mark ups especially in Ontario. You should be price protected from the day you ordered your truck. Glad you were able to get your original quote.

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep they were definitely trying to hose you. Dealers are not going to “absorb costs and try to get it back from Ford”, they were just hoping you would accept it and fork over the money straight into their pocket.

OP
OP
Montevilla

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe it's illegal to do any mark ups especially in Ontario. You should be price protected from the day you ordered your truck. Glad you were able to get your original quote.
Actually, I ordered it across the river in Gatineau. In principle Quebec has even more stringent requirements in that respect. Can't wait to be able to order direct and skip the slimy dealer experience...maybe next time.

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer honoured pre-increase prices and interest rate. Ordered Jan 19, delivered Apr 9.
Mine too.
To op: you didn’t already sign a purchase agreement? Like a bill of sale? I signed mine when i ordered. Prices remained as they were at that time. On the actual paperwork some had changed but they stuck a dealer discount on to compensate.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Order in Oct picked up in June. Price was 3000 higher on window sticker I paid original price I ordered with in Oct.

OP
OP
Montevilla

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To OP: you didn’t already sign a purchase agreement? Like a bill of sale? I signed mine when i ordered. Prices remained as they were at that time. On the actual paperwork some had changed but they stuck a dealer discount on to compensate.
Yeah, I did. It wasn't countersigned by my sales rep though. But originally he didn't give me a copy after I signed it, only the deposit receipt from the CC terminal. The next day, I e-mailed my rep to get a copy sent to me. I don't want to think what it would have been like without that in hand.

They did the same thing as you, but I had both a dealer and a manufacturer discount listed to get the price back to the original amount.
Sponsored