First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To use Apple CarPlay the manual says to: 1) Connect your device to a USB port, 2) Follow the instructions on the touch screen.

I connect my iPhone 11 using a usb cable, but instead of getting instructions, I get the following 2 messages toggling: "The inserted USB device is not responding" and "Indexing G's iPhone".

Additional information. My phone used to connect to Apple CarPlay when I plugged it in, but recently I went to Italy, switched my SIM card, got an Italian phone plan, came back to the US, put my old SIM back in, and have been using the phone as I did before I went to Italy with my old phone plan. However, since I got back, when I plug my phone in, I get those 2 messages and no instructions. Also, the phone has the most recent update.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone know the solution? Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are you using an actual Apple Lightening cord, and is your phone updated to the latest software version? I find that specific to CarPlay the iPhone is very particular about cords.

OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you using an actual Apple Lightening cord, and is your phone updated to the latest software version? I find that specific to CarPlay the iPhone is very particular about cords.
Just before your comment, I edited my post to say my phone has the most recent update, but thanks for mentioning that. I think I'm using an actual Apple cord, but I'll double check.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing to brag about
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would try a different USB cable. I bought one that has a higher transfer rate and haven't had any issues.

OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Problem solved. When in Italy, we needed CarPlay off so we could plug into the USB port (for charging) but not have the phone try to do CarPlay (because it wouldn't work with the Citreon car's radio), so my son (he's the smart one) figured out how to turn off CarPlay. I remembered him doing that but didn't know all the steps he did. I thought I could just go into Settings/General & turn it on/off. It's more involved than that.

To turn on/off Apple CarPlay, click the following links on your phone:
Settings
Screen Time
Content & Privacy Restrictions
Allowed Apps
CarPlay
(turn on/off as you desire)

I thought the CarPlay setting was supposed to be in Settings under General, but when I clicked on General, it wasn't there. It wasn't there, because my son had restricted it using the steps above. Once you unrestrict, it shows up under General again.

OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would try a different USB cable. I bought one that has a higher transfer rate and haven't had any issues.
Thanks, but it was a user error...I had restricted CarPlay.

Beekeo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
glad to see Clemson found his solution!

We recently had an issue driving from SC to MA (14 to 16 hours, depending on traffic and stops), where the carplay connection worked fine for 8-10 hours then started cutting out with no amount of power-cycling of the car, phone, swapping phones, swapping to a second cable, twiddling settings would resolve, made navigating around bad traffic and thunderstorms even more frustrating.

eventually just resorted to my wife holding her phone and calling out the turns.

an hour or two later, we plugged my phone back in and it worked just fine (and has continued to be fine for running errands etc).

my untested suspicion is that both of the cables were in use for charging and data, and the MFi chips in the plugs were overheating (one cable was Apple usb-c, one was an Amazon Essentials usb-standard). I need to bring some spare cables the next time we are driving extra long distances (but hopefully not soon)

OP
OP
ClemsonU88

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
glad to see Clemson found his solution!

We recently had an issue driving from SC to MA (14 to 16 hours, depending on traffic and stops), where the carplay connection worked fine for 8-10 hours then started cutting out with no amount of power-cycling of the car, phone, swapping phones, swapping to a second cable, twiddling settings would resolve, made navigating around bad traffic and thunderstorms even more frustrating.

eventually just resorted to my wife holding her phone and calling out the turns.

an hour or two later, we plugged my phone back in and it worked just fine (and has continued to be fine for running errands etc).

my untested suspicion is that both of the cables were in use for charging and data, and the MFi chips in the plugs were overheating (one cable was Apple usb-c, one was an Amazon Essentials usb-standard). I need to bring some spare cables the next time we are driving extra long distances (but hopefully not soon)
Interesting. My previous truck's radio (Nissan Frontier) worked perfectly until I would play it for an hour or two. Then it started getting flaky. Sometimes it would shut down for no reason, freeze, or glitch in other ways.

It seems like things get tested for the short-medium time frames. Anything longer than an hour...you're on your own. :)

Good luck with you hypothesis & testing. I hope not to be driving that long any time soon.

Sponsored

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick (VB), 1986 Lincoln Mark 7
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also one tip for I phone users. Spend the money on a OEM apple usb-C to lighting. Charges my phone super fast and is super reliable. I had issues with the ford radio and after market cables on my ranger. Once the mav was built I got a oem apple usb-c and all the issues I had with the rangers sync went away.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The entire touchscreen system is problematic. 1 text = 3 notifications on Ford touchscreen displaying a random contacts name sometimes. Android Auto with usb c plugged in will not connect to my music or maps, seems to be glitching. Bluetooth looses connection for no reason when making calls "sometimes".

Bluetooth audio I have to connect manually almost every time I don't drive the car for awhile. I click sources and it always defaults to F***ing AM radio.

I'll check for an update, but after a year of ownership these issues annoy me.

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

To use Apple CarPlay the manual says to: 1) Connect your device to a USB port, 2) Follow the instructions on the touch screen.

I connect my iPhone 11 using a usb cable, but instead of getting instructions, I get the following 2 messages toggling: "The inserted USB device is not responding" and "Indexing G's iPhone".

Additional information. My phone used to connect to Apple CarPlay when I plugged it in, but recently I went to Italy, switched my SIM card, got an Italian phone plan, came back to the US, put my old SIM back in, and have been using the phone as I did before I went to Italy with my old phone plan. However, since I got back, when I plug my phone in, I get those 2 messages and no instructions. Also, the phone has the most recent update.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone know the solution? Thanks.
Roman curse!
Sponsored