Sponsored

Anyone Worried about the Lighting Quality? LED Lights Getting "Poor" IIHS rating

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I was just watching a review of the Kia Sorento, and found out that even though the base headlights are LED reflectors, just like the Maverick, they are rated "Poor" by the IIHS: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/kia/sorento-4-door-suv/2021

The LED Projectors on the other hand are rated "Good", and as seen below have much better performance.

LED Reflectors:
Ford Maverick Anyone Worried about the Lighting Quality?  LED Lights Getting "Poor" IIHS rating Capture2.JPG

LED Projectors:
Ford Maverick Anyone Worried about the Lighting Quality?  LED Lights Getting "Poor" IIHS rating Capture.JPG

Thoughts? And ideas when we might see IIHS ratings for the Maverick?
Sponsored

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
5 lux sounds like a very small amount.
I would have expected to test like 50. Anything you are lighting up needs to bounce back to the driver to be helpful. I guess I'm not very familiar with the scale.
Edit 1:
Looking at the Ford escape that has led reflectors, the test says it got an A rating, but it's yellow?
Maybe someone with more experience looking at this site can chime in
Edit 2:
A stands for acceptable apparently

Last edited:

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Thoughts?
I'm not concerned. I had a car that IIHS rated the halogen multi-reflector headlights as "poor", and I only had an issue on dark moonless nights in the sticks. I honestly had no complaints.

Had that been a more frequent trip for me, I would've just installed some Rigid Industries D2 lights in the bumper. I had one pair on my chase truck. On the same street in the sticks, I could see up to the treetops, down to the ditches, and forward to the horizon line.

Now my old Toyota truck had the sealed beam headlights. Those freakin' sucked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not concerned. I had a car that IIHS rated the halogen multi-reflector headlights as "poor", and I only had an issue on dark moonless nights in the sticks. I honestly had no complaints.

Had that been a more frequent trip for me, I would've just installed some Rigid Industries D2 lights in the bumper. I had one pair on my chase truck. On the same street in the sticks, I could see up to the treetops, down to the ditches, and forward to the horizon line.

Now my old Toyota truck had the sealed beam headlights. Those freakin' sucked.
That's true, you could probably rig up a lightbar to work w/ highbeams, although technically they aren't street legal.

My worry is that I've had vehicles that were rated "Poor" lowest rating before, and it wasn't a big deal as they were truly bad HOWEVER I was able to just replace the low wattage halogen bulb with the best HID kit I could find in the factory projectors and all was well. But with factory LEDs, if they aren't good, you really can't upgrade them other than to replace the entire unit.

Oh well, I'll bump this when I see the IIHS has rated them, and if they are as bad as the ones on the Kia, then maybe Alfarex will offer an upgrade. For other Fords they offer a new NOVA series that seems crazy good.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
A lot of vehicles struggle with the IIHS headlight test if I recall correctly. My Type R had LED reflector headlights and they kicked ass - at least at short and medium length. My biggest issue with LED based lights is that they don't seem to pack the same punch as HID and even halogen based headlights and its easy to "outrun the light".

The best vehicle I've owned when it came to headlights was a 2005 Honda CR-V, and that vehicle was reflector halogen based. The headlights in my Honda Fit are atrocious, borderline comically bad.

I really hope the headlights don't suck. If they do, I'll equipped PIAA RF-Series LED light bar to compliment the headlights.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does no one remember trucks from the 90s? Come on

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... So I was just watching a review of the Kia Sorento ...
What does this prove? Anyone can screw something up... It's application that matters, not technology. I've had halogen headlights as bright as the Escape's LEDs, once you discount all that useless blue light they give off. Snow squalls are a real test.
Ford Maverick Anyone Worried about the Lighting Quality?  LED Lights Getting "Poor" IIHS rating Snow Squall W128 SE_sm

I wish they'd tested fog lights; my Escape's are aimed too close to see.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What does this prove? Anyone can screw something up...
It proves that headlights can be really crappy, even if they are modern LED. In the past, LED headlights were upgrades on the base model cheaper incandescent, and outperformed them greatly. Its typical that base model headlights are poor while upgraded ones are rated good by IIHS, same with the Subaru Crosstrek my nephew has where the difference in headlight output between the trims is really massive. However, in the case of the Maverick there is no difference light output wise between a XL and Lariat headlight and so the reflector LED headlights might be as bad as base reflector LED headlights on other brands.

We don't know if it will be, but its definitely a question mark and cause of my concern.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... the reflector LED headlights might be as bad as base reflector LED headlights on other brands.
Or they could be as good as the halogens on the C-Max, unlikely as that is.

Proving the well-known is a waste of time. Too bad you never had sealed beams.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or they could be as good as the halogens on the C-Max, unlikely as that is.
Good point, I'll wait until the IIHS has had time to test the headlights.

If they need to be replaced with aftermarket units, since a bulb upgrade is not possible, that could affect what trim I'd buy and what the total cost would be. After all, the cooler looking headlights on a Lariat may be moot if I'm going to toss them anyway.

I'm a stickler for good headlights since I get to work before 6AM every day where its still pretty dark and some areas w/ no street lights, and I've always had to upgrade the headlights on our vehicles that the IIHS rated poorly.

asel3121

First Name
Asel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Engine
Undecided
Just keep your brights on all the time, even during the day. You'll be fine.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine