Sponsored

Anyone put a fuel tank in their truck bed?

Matrixman2323

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
has anyone put a fuel tank in their truck bed? if so, which one did you use?
Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I tried for a long time to find a "legal" way of carrying larger-than-5-gallon-cans of fuel in my truck bed. None of the manufacturers will see one rated for gasoline. Diesel? Sure. Gas? Nope. I believe it's an DOT regulatory thing, with the potential liability issue also looming large.

I seem to remember (from several years back) a company (Explosafe was the brand name) that made fuel cans (and possibly larger fuel tanks) that were filled with a honeycomb-like metal mesh material. It didn't take up much space or add much weight to the cans/tanks, but you could literally hold a match to the tank opening and they would not catch fire or explode. Seems like that would make it safe enough to haul... I see similar products now being sold by ValPro and ProQuip, but in 5 gallon and smaller sizes.

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When mine arrives it will have a 120 gallon tank in the back all summer. Unknown manufacturer as they are both older than I am. I have one for diesel and one for gas that I will swap back and forth depending on what I need at the time. In my full size I carry them both but with the Maverick it'll just have to be one at a time.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My son bought a tool box disguised gas tank for his diesel Ram. It held about 100 gallons of diesel which he filled with off road diesel with less taxes. He could cut over from this tank to the regular truck tank. Theory was if patrol checked your fuel, it would be the non-dyed diesel. He saved about $55 a fill. My opinion, which was not valued, was it worth it to have your truck confiscated and also to lug up to an extra 800 lbs. around?

With Maveric fuel mileage, I personally do not have the need for more range. Plus, my old bones must be removed from the truck every couple of hundred miles, or they quit working.:)

Edit: I believe I misunderstood the question. OP means a tank to fuel other equipment?

Sponsored

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DOT rules about type and container amount of fuel carried. Diesel "burns", gasoline explodes.

Dimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
You can buy truck bed fuel tanks. They are usually large metal tanks and are DOT approved. I've seen anywhere from 5 gal to 150 gal. You can transport up to 1000lbs of fuel before needing hazmat.

OP
OP

Matrixman2323

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My son bought a tool box disguised gas tank for his diesel Ram. It held about 100 gallons of diesel which he filled with off road diesel with less taxes. He could cut over from this tank to the regular truck tank. Theory was if patrol checked your fuel, it would be the non-dyed diesel. He saved about $55 a fill. My opinion, which was not valued, was it worth it to have your truck confiscated and also to lug up to an extra 800 lbs. around?

With Maveric fuel mileage, I personally do not have the need for more range. Plus, my old bones must be removed from the truck every couple of hundred miles, or they quit working.:)

Edit: I believe I misunderstood the question. OP means a tank to fuel other equipment?
I mean a tank that can be used to fill up other things and possibly the truck if need be.

minitrucknuts

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
My son bought a tool box disguised gas tank for his diesel Ram. It held about 100 gallons of diesel which he filled with off road diesel with less taxes. He could cut over from this tank to the regular truck tank. Theory was if patrol checked your fuel, it would be the non-dyed diesel. He saved about $55 a fill.
Stealing from fellow taxpayers, sounds like a great guy.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ATI and RDS make transfer tanks DOT rated for gasoline. Think they will custom make one the size you want as well. It does need a pump rated for gasoline and has to be installed in the top of the tank.
Sponsored