Sponsored

Anyone else feels Maverick steering is a bit "heavy"?

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, so day 3 of owning a Maverick and overall more than happy with the vehicle. One thing i did notice is how heavy the steering is. It takes much more effort than any other recent vehicle i owned.....
I agree - I tried using the Lane keeping, which helps but only when you get out of the center of the lane. But the good news, after a year - either it's gotten looser or I don't notice it now?
Sponsored

alfman3030

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford maverick xlt lux awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ok, so day 3 of owning a Maverick and overall more than happy with the vehicle. One thing i did notice is how heavy the steering is. It takes much more effort than any other recent vehicle i owned.....
he just got mine a few days ago i think you are right but i think ford wants to make it feel more like the big trucks also check tire pressure could be a little low

OP
OP

Gray Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank everyone for your input. I see that i'm not alone in this. Anyway, I have 6 days now under the belt and getting used to it.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
EPS (electronic power steering) tuning is a bit like black magic for feel. Early on, OEM's struggled with tuning, but it's gotten much better in the last few years.

Personally, I think the Mav is dialed in very nicely, especially for a "truck". Decent feedback, consistent feel, excellent response. I like it. Of course, such things are subjective. Some may prefer a lighter feel. In contrast to my '21 Honda Pilot, it is nearly devoid of any feedback, and a bit over assisted. A very benign experience to drive. The Mav. is much more engaging, IMO.

FisherJD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you have the lane keeping system? Turned off I think the Maverick’s steering is right on, with it on it can fight you if you’re out of the center of the lane or change lanes without a turn signal.

Sponsored

deej

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick 2.0 Lariat, AWD, 4K, Lux, BAP, HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I thought I had this issue too, and it turned out to be the Lane Keeping System wanting the vehicle to be in a slightly different "center" than what I did. You can feel the servos giving a little bit of resistance (creating that "heavy" feel) when it is enabled.

Turn it off by pushing the little button at the end of the turn signal lever and see if that helps.

The driving feel is much better with this off, and I only turn it back on when cruising on the highway.

Ford Maverick Anyone else feels Maverick steering is a bit "heavy"? 1692132455465

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine is perfect. The lane centering keeps me planted in the exact center of the lane it’ll take me smoothly around curves It offers resistance when I begin to wander out of it. Only thing I wish is that it wouldn’t be so sensitive to me holding the wheel so lightly. I just wish my wife’s 21 Explorer limited worked so well. It tries to keep me almost on top of the center line for opposing traffic and I have to keep steering back to center of the lane, after 60 miles or so I’m worn out. The Mav is perfect I’ve driven 600 miles in one day and still not tired of the drive.

Sounder206

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I haven’t driven many pickup trucks to compare, yet the Mav has better steering feel than the latest Nissan Frontier I test drove. The Frontier’s steering was heavier and cumbersome to drive around in. Combined with the rather poor rear seat comfort and being $45k, I wrote it off.

Recently I took my Mav on a road trip for the first time to Whistler, British Columbia, and I was impressed with the steering feel and the handling through the winding highways.

Sventinker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I struggle with it as it provides no feedback. I am one of those distracted drivers that can feel when my vehicle is drifting to the side. Now I have to actually pay attention at all times.

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm coming from a 2012 Lexus CT which has much heavier steering.
I'll compare it to my dad's Lexus RX next time I'm there.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it's just about right. You might notice a difference if your last vehicle had hydraulic power steering. The Mav has electric power steering which has a little less feel. You'll get used to it.
EPS (electronic power steering) tuning is a bit like black magic for feel. Early on, OEM's struggled with tuning, but it's gotten much better in the last few years.

Personally, I think the Mav is dialed in very nicely, especially for a "truck". Decent feedback, consistent feel, excellent response. I like it. Of course, such things are subjective. Some may prefer a lighter feel. In contrast to my '21 Honda Pilot, it is nearly devoid of any feedback, and a bit over assisted. A very benign experience to drive. The Mav. is much more engaging, IMO.
Sorry to bump this thread, but do you think the noise I’m hearing in these videos when I turn the steering wheel quickly to the left is the electric steering system?

It happens at the exact moment I start to turn to the steering wheel to the left…there’s this little rubbing noise (yet everything feels super smooth). The noise itself only happens when turning the steering wheel quickly and at the start of the turn.

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Alto Blue AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry to bump this thread, but do you think the noise I’m hearing in these videos when I turn the steering wheel quickly to the left is the electric steering system?

It happens at the exact moment I start to turn to the steering wheel to the left…there’s this little rubbing noise (yet everything feels super smooth). The noise itself only happens when turning the steering wheel quickly and at the start of the turn.
2023 Lariat and have the same noise. I don't know what it and what causes it. Like a rubbing swoosh sound.

Greendesert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra GT '14 CRV Hybrid '22 Maverick Hybrid 2024
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
me too but I like it ..good for highway speed