Sponsored

Anyone clay barring and polishing their new Maverick?

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And how much paint contaminants did you pull off? I’m wondering if mine needs a clay bar and polish or just a good sealer since it’s new.
Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Always spray with a decontamination spray (to dissolve iron dust and other contaminants from the railcar), then clay bar, even if a really cursory/light formulation style clay bar. Sealing it without prepping it first is a waste of the sealing.

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True that there may not be very much contamination but why not start with very best base you can get. You know a little bit of arsenic won’t kill you, but why take a chance. 😊

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People don’t realize that even new paint has a lot of contaminants in it.
If you rub the paint you can feel it.

Clay bars kind of suck to use. The surface area is small and they get slippery. You WILL drop it on the ground and contaminate it.

A very good alternative to clay bars is a Nanoskin pad. I think they work just as well as clay. You simply rinse them off if you drop them. The Mav is the 3rd new vehicle I have used this on. The paint is much smoother after using this pad.

I personally have been using Optimum car wax for years since it is very easy to apply, works well and lasts a long time. I currently have 6 coats on my Mav. I could leave it alone for the next several years and it will still look shiny. I will hit it with a couple more coats later this year to maintain the coating after going through the automated car wash a few times a week.(You heard me)

They guy who invented this stuff was a chemical engineer. He was using a major brand of car wax and sealants and couldn’t understand why it was so crappy. He studied the formula and realized that these guys had it all wrong! Apparently most of the well known brands did as well.

He used his expertise in formulating something that actually works, is safe for all surfaces, protects against UV rays, environmentally benign, easy to use, (spray on/wipe off), and even smells good.

I have used this product on my last two new cars. After almost ten years people would often ask me if my car was new. Both had paint that was still beautiful. A microfiber towel would just slide off the surface.

I just bought my 4th gallon jug. It lasts a long time.

MAVERlCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
El Padre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6, SRT4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love the feel of the paint after a clay bar. Nothing smoother, you will feel the difference guaranteed after you clean out the pores in the clearcoat. Doing the whole car is exhausting. You can clay over time, it doesn't all need done in one day that it destroys your pitching arm.

If you don't have time when you first get your vehicle, I would still protect the car with a wet wax and come back to it later when you have time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ponchsox

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love the feel of the paint after a clay bar. Nothing smoother, you will feel the difference guaranteed after you clean out the pores in the clearcoat. Doing the whole car is exhausting. You can clay over time, it doesn't all need done in one day that it destroys your pitching arm.

If you don't have time when you first get your vehicle, I would still protect the car with a wet wax and come back to it later when you have time.
What decontaminate should I apply before I clay bar?

Joe Mac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 F250 Super Duty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I tried to clay bar it but they told me to get out. Your truck isn't built yet

Roscop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used the clay bar and Meguires hybrid ceramic wax, I think it turned out very well.
Ford Maverick Anyone clay barring and polishing their new Maverick? 20230603_162253
Ford Maverick Anyone clay barring and polishing their new Maverick? 20230603_212448

OP
OP
Ponchsox

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used the clay bar and Meguires hybrid ceramic wax, I think it turned out very well.
20230603_162253.jpg
20230603_212448.jpg
What was your prep before using a clay bar? Wash and decontaminate product? Did you polish after?

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I used iron-x spray and clay bar afterwards, but not a lot came off. I was planning on putting a ceramic coating shortly after I got the truck, but I kept putting it off until about 8 months into ownership.

did the iron-x, clay bar, IPA wipedown, then did a one step paint correction using Menzerna heavy cut 400 with a dual action polisher. Honestly it could have used a 2 step paint correction, even after only 8 months and maybe 5 car washes (by hand). I was surprised how many little scratches there were.

I got it looking good enough for a daily driver truck, then did another IPA wipedown and applied cquartz uk 3.0 ceramic coating.

It really helps keep the truck looking clean!

Sponsored

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Used a clay microfiber (bought just for this $50) and turtle wax sio2 graphene. Dealer did a good pdi because not much came off and paint felt good before.

Ford Maverick Anyone clay barring and polishing their new Maverick? 172043AE-6AC1-40F2-94D1-C35098ED2D34

Ford Maverick Anyone clay barring and polishing their new Maverick? 7537BEDB-D381-4773-8486-6D70B08DD470

Ford Maverick Anyone clay barring and polishing their new Maverick? 72A5DEC4-2079-4870-8C23-045AEE035333

Roscop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What was your prep before using a clay bar? Wash and decontaminate product? Did you polish after?
I just gave it a good wash, then used the clay bar, washed again, then applied the ceramic wax, rubbed it in, then wiped it down.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just gave it a good wash, then used the clay bar, washed again, then applied the ceramic wax, rubbed it in, then wiped it down.
That's exactly what I did, too. Definitely got some stuff off the paint and it shines real nice now.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used Adam's Iron Remover, whole 16oz bottle on it just a few days after picking it up, and surprising how many little purple (oxidizing & removing iron particles) spots there were. Did a full wash and dry. Next week I'll wash again, clay mitt, do an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) wipe down, then I'm ceramic coating it. Will do regular washes & Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions (no pun intended) ceramic spray every few months after that. Hopefully I'll get a few years with the ceramic coating before reapplication is needed.

DON'T ceramic coat a car/truck before you do major cleaning & decon, otherwise you'll bake in that stuff...

Last edited:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You have asked this before and sorry no one really answered you. Just wash the truck, then used a clay bar and lubricant. Once you are done then apply a ceramic coat. Search YouTube for a video. Safe yourself $800 by doing it yourself. It took me about 5 hours on Saturday
Sponsored