Sponsored

Anyone changed the oil WITHOUT a lift/ramps?

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think i would pay someone i trusted to change it for me if I didn’t have proper tools and equipment.
I can respect that. Ramps make the job easier, but are not necessary. You need an oil filter wrench, philips screwdriver, and I socket wrench. 👍
Sponsored

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid or Eco? I was a little surprised how nasty the oil looked after only 1500 or so ICE miles. My drain plug was real tight, but only took a little muscle
Hybrid. Exactly 2k Miles and it was still gold and pretty transparent. If I knew I wouldve waited till 5k. I'm not mad about being safe and changing it often.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can do my escape without ramps by jacking up the front (both sides) and putting a 4x4 block of wood under the front tires. and letting the jacks down. Gives me enough comfortable room to pull out the under vehicle cover and change the oil and filter. Ive seen one of those plastic ramps fail and fortunately no one way laying under the vehicle when that happened so I'm not a big fan after witnessing that honestly. I'm not skinny, average sized 6'0 200 pound guy. I can't imagine the maverick being any more difficult but can't say for sure since I don't have one yet. The annoyance on my 1.6 eco boost escape is the horizontally mounted oil filter that inevitably spills oil and takes some brake cleaner and a rag to tidy up. Both mavericks (hybrid or EB) have vertically mounted filters I think so thats easier yet.
Just changed my oil for the first time in eb with fx4 so have to remove the steel Skidplate which takes some time with a rachet. Also, didn't buy a floor jack rubber puck with the groove in the top so the pinchweld can rest inside, so I did what others have suggested and cut a piece of wood and cut a groove down the center to make room for the pinchweld. Didn't work so well and the wood split. Good thing I took it slow and was watching what the wood was doing while slowly jacking up the Mav and stopping repeatedly to check the wood before putting a full load on the block. Next I tried a piece of 4x4, cut the groove and it worked fine without splitting. Still had the jackstand in place as a backup, but if the wood failed, some plastic or felt materials would likely take a little damage since the pinchweld does not provide enough room for Jack and stand at the same time which really sucks for safety purposes.

Think I'll get some impact sockets and extensions for the hammer drill to take the Skidplate off/on before the next change.

Based on the above, I'll take your method and use the jack with 4x4 wood block to get the tire off the ground, and more 4x4s under the tire as the backup. Also will place the stand, chock the tires and use emergency brake. Pretty redundant.. But well worth it verses the jacking system failing.
Sponsored

Last edited: