2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi Everyone,

My truck is schedule to be delivered this month and first thing I'm doing is adding the Falken Wildpeak AT3's

Wondering if anyone has purchased chains for the stock tires or specifically for 245/65/R17 and how their fit was? I do some pretty serious winter driving on mountain roads and even with AWD and winter tires they are times you need chains.

Also if anyone has suggestions for brands - my last chains are 14+ years old so not sure which brands are the best now.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze

Oh... right of course. There's snow in this country too

Kidding, but sometimes us southerners forget how relatively unfussy the weather is despite our complaining.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Oh... right of course. There's snow in this country too

Kidding, but sometimes us southerners forget how relatively unfussy the weather is despite our complaining.
Yeah we definitely get some interesting weather up here in the NW. We just had record rainfall last month which flooded out two towns here pretty bad. Nothing compared to the rain we used to get in Hawaii though.

The mountain I go to in the winter here holds the record for the most snowfall....in the world :) Rarely need chains but when you do need them you're glad you have them.

FortyFiveNorthoods

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here’s the manual on chains.
Follow these guidelines when using snow tires and chains:
  • Chains may damage aluminum wheels.
  • Use ultra low profile cables, 10 mm or less in dimension as measured on the sidewall of your tire, only with 225/65R17, or 225/60R18 all season tires.
  • Do not use snow chains or cables with 235/65R17.
  • Not all S-class snow chains or cables meet these restrictions. Chains of this size restriction will include a tensioning device.
  • Purchase chains or cables from a manufacturer that clearly labels body to tire dimension restrictions. The snow chains or cables must be mounted in pairs on the rear tires only.
  • When driving with snow chains do not exceed 30 mph (50 km/h) or the maximum speed recommended by the chain manufacturer, whichever is less.
  • Install cables securely, verifying that the cables do not touch any wiring or brake lines.
  • Drive cautiously. If you hear the cables rub or bang against the vehicle, stop and retighten them. If this does not work, remove the cables to prevent vehicle damage.
  • Remove the tire chains when they are no longer needed. Do not use tire chains on dry roads.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here’s the manual on chains.
Follow these guidelines when using snow tires and chains:
  • Chains may damage aluminum wheels.
  • Use ultra low profile cables, 10 mm or less in dimension as measured on the sidewall of your tire, only with 225/65R17, or 225/60R18 all season tires.
  • Do not use snow chains or cables with 235/65R17.
  • Not all S-class snow chains or cables meet these restrictions. Chains of this size restriction will include a tensioning device.
  • Purchase chains or cables from a manufacturer that clearly labels body to tire dimension restrictions. The snow chains or cables must be mounted in pairs on the rear tires only.
  • When driving with snow chains do not exceed 30 mph (50 km/h) or the maximum speed recommended by the chain manufacturer, whichever is less.
  • Install cables securely, verifying that the cables do not touch any wiring or brake lines.
  • Drive cautiously. If you hear the cables rub or bang against the vehicle, stop and retighten them. If this does not work, remove the cables to prevent vehicle damage.
  • Remove the tire chains when they are no longer needed. Do not use tire chains on dry roads.
Interesting - so no chains on 235s or bigger.

Sponsored

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The snow chains or cables must be mounted in pairs on the rear tires only.

I assume this would be only on the drive wheels? Do front wheels for a front wheel drive?

Wiley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, so Im getting older and easily confused. Hell my first car was a 67 galaxie 500. I picked up my xl hybrid last night but don’t quite understand. Can I use snow cables that are under 10 mm ? And wouldn’t they go on the front drive tires ? Am I missing something?
thanks for helping me understand.

OP
OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, so Im getting older and easily confused. Hell my first car was a 67 galaxie 500. I picked up my xl hybrid last night but don’t quite understand. Can I use snow cables that are under 10 mm ? And wouldn’t they go on the front drive tires ? Am I missing something?
thanks for helping me understand.
if you have stock tires and 10mm or smaller chains you’re fine. Put them on the front.

Wiley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if you have stock tires and 10mm or smaller chains you’re fine. Put them on the front.
Thanks Big Kahuna and those rims look fantastic on your truck
Sponsored