First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner 4x4, 2003 Tacoma PreRun, 2005 Liberty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 XL AWD OffRoad package and had the 2" Rough Country lift installed by 4 Wheel Parts.
After 3000 miles, the dealership is telling me that the lift kit voided the warranty and the front axles require replacing. I was explicitly asked the warranty people and have a note on my warranty that a lift would NOT void my warranty but the service people are denying it. The Ford service rep is now double-checking with the sales manager -
If it truly caused the issue then I will go at 4 Wheel Parts but if it's just a Ford axel issue - how to tell??

I'm starting to wish I had stayed with Toyota. I love the little truck but it is way to short and if you can't put a lift on.... well, WTF>>>
Sponsored

Dano

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB/AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 XL AWD OffRoad package and had the 2" Rough Country lift installed by 4 Wheel Parts.
After 3000 miles, the dealership is telling me that the lift kit voided the warranty and the front axles require replacing. I was explicitly asked the warranty people and have a note on my warranty that a lift would NOT void my warranty but the service people are denying it. The Ford service rep is now double-checking with the sales manager -
If it truly caused the issue then I will go at 4 Wheel Parts but if it's just a Ford axel issue - how to tell??

I'm starting to wish I had stayed with Toyota. I love the little truck but it is way to short and if you can't put a lift on.... well, WTF>>>
Related post? $800 Front Axle Replacement

Edit: never mind, u got it!

OP
OP
TREX10

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Related post? $800 Front Axle Replacement

Edit: never mind, u got it!
Yeah, I read that one but was hoping for info on non-lift incidents to push harder on the dealer.
If it's the lift then what good will it do to replace the axle? Unless I remove the lift??

I'm a bit perplexed. If it's the lift - then I need to get 4WParts to take care of it but again.... remove the lift? That stinks....

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly, by lifting you are completely changing the angles at which the CV joint is being operated. It's going to cause more heat, more friction and more wear. Whoever told you that it would not void the warranty on your CV axles led you astray I believe. I would be really surprised if Ford wound up covering this. Unfortunately just because some dealers are "honoring" the warranty for lift kits that they installed doesn't mean that it's universal that CV joints will be covered under warranty by Ford. This is a super cheap vehicle and some of the components are not exactly the highest quality. Sandy Munro's youtube channel points out all of the visible corners Ford cut to make this thing reach a certain price point. Imagine what's not visible or what suppliers had to downgrade in materials and quality to reach the target price point that Ford's bean counters set. There are companies out there that make upgraded CV joints specifically for lifted applications. They use higher quality materials and better designed joints that use more balls in the joint to better distribute load and lower the wear rate. If Ford doesn't cover the repair you may want to see if you can find an upgraded application that fits so you don't go through this every XX,XXX miles.

mdl20813

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not a non lifted example but I just had mine with the HRG 1.5” kit in for 10k maintenance this morning and had no issues with CV axles at inspection. Seems like from what I’ve seen, the 2”+ kits have been more likely to cause problems. Also seen a couple cases where it sounded like the installers messed something up and then dealer wouldn’t cover it

Sponsored

OP
OP
TREX10

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly, by lifting you are completely changing the angles at which the CV joint is being operated. It's going to cause more heat, more friction and more wear. Whoever told you that it would not void the warranty on your CV axles led you astray I believe. I would be really surprised if Ford wound up covering this. Unfortunately just because some dealers are "honoring" the warranty for lift kits that they installed doesn't mean that it's universal that CV joints will be covered under warranty by Ford. This is a super cheap vehicle and some of the components are not exactly the highest quality. Sandy Munro's youtube channel points out all of the visible corners Ford cut to make this thing reach a certain price point. Imagine what's not visible or what suppliers had to downgrade in materials and quality to reach the target price point that Ford's bean counters set. There are companies out there that make upgraded CV joints specifically for lifted applications. They use higher quality materials and better designed joints that use more balls in the joint to better distribute load and lower the wear rate. If Ford doesn't cover the repair you may want to see if you can find an upgraded application that fits so you don't go through this every XX,XXX miles.
It was the dealership warranty guy that wrote it on my paperwork stating a 2" lift wouldn't void my warranty. Yes, it's not as high quality as some but that's why I bought an extended warranty. Rough Country claims there's not any issues. We will see what 4 Wheel Parts says tomorrow.
Yes, I agree. I will definitely work with 4 Wheel Parts if they can replace the CV with upgraded ones.
I love the size and look of the truck.
It fits my lifestyle perfectly. I've had many other trucks/cars that suited my life at the time. I'm willing to upgrade parts if needed.
I seriously considered having my 2003 Prerunner Taco completely rebuilt. First gen Taco is the perfect truck. 😉

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It was the dealership warranty guy that wrote it on my paperwork stating a 2" lift wouldn't void my warranty. Yes, it's not as high quality as some but that's why I bought an extended warranty. Rough Country claims there's not any issues. We will see what 4 Wheel Parts says tomorrow.
Ford's warranty documentation explicitly states lift kits may invalidate the warranty of affected components. The Finance Manager doesn't decide Ford the corporation's warranty reimbursement. So if the FM wrote down that they'd cover it then that's going to be between you and the dealership internally. If the service manager is saying they won't honor that then your next step is probably to escalate to a convo between the Finance, Service, and General Manager.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, I agree. I will definitely work with 4 Wheel Parts if they can replace the CV with upgraded ones.
I love the size and look of the truck.
It fits my lifestyle perfectly. I've had many other trucks/cars that suited my life at the time. I'm willing to upgrade parts if needed.
I seriously considered having my 2003 Prerunner Taco completely rebuilt. First gen Taco is the perfect truck. 😉
Post a pic of the paperwork...

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford's warranty documentation explicitly states lift kits may invalidate the warranty of affected components. The Finance Manager doesn't decide Ford the corporation's warranty reimbursement. So if the FM wrote down that they'd cover it then that's going to be between you and the dealership internally. If the service manager is saying they won't honor that then your next step is probably to escalate to a convo between the Finance, Service, and General Manager.
This, you have a contract with the dealer that would hold up in court. It is not unreasonable to treat the dealer as an agent of the manufacturer.

OP
OP
TREX10

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Post a pic of the paperwork...

this was where he checked the box for suspension mod on the aftermarket and the page is missing where he wrote the note in my papers. He assured me many times there wasn't an issue. 😡
Fool me once, shame in you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There's a reason I haven't bought a new vehicle in 18 years.
Ford Maverick Any Axel failures without lift kits?? IMG_20221103_111556840~2

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Well you might not have to wait to long for your Toyota truck. I saw on the MSN page they're in development of a small Hybrid truck to compete with the Maverick possibly by late 23 or 24 and pricing to start at around 20K. Ford could use some competition since they keep dangling the 🥕🐎

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Judging by the coverage level names you have a third party warranty (ie not a Ford ESP), then, in addition to the Ford new car warranty? You would need to look into the terms of your contract for that company's coverage and make sure the service manager is checking for a claim against that.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well you might not have to wait to long for your Toyota truck. I saw on the MSN page they're in development of a small Hybrid truck to compete with the Maverick possibly by late 23 or 24 and pricing to start at around 20K. Ford could use some competition since they keep dangling the 🥕
Or they'll be waiting much longer since MSN's article is predicated upon a chain of car blog speculation.

Reactions: bgn

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or they'll be waiting much longer since MSN's article is predicated upon a chain of car blog speculation.
At least there's talk of movement from the auto makers realizing a need for smaller sized trucks for the consumer, Only time will tell Wish in one hand and well you get the message😏

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Rough Country does make the cheapest lift, maybe it would be better to go with a more high quality one. You get what you pay for.
Sponsored