Sponsored

Any aftermarket alternatives to the felt wheel liners and underbody panels?

Kwanzaa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
No
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Ecoboost XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello

Has anyone found aftermarket alternative unbody panels and wheel well liners that arnt felt? Mine are already showing signs of wear after 4 months and 3500kms. i dont expect these to last long. Something made of hard plastic or other durable material would be awesome if anyone knows.
Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello

Has anyone found aftermarket alternative unbody panels and wheel well liners that arnt felt? Mine are already showing signs of wear after 4 months and 3500kms. i dont expect these to last long. Something made of hard plastic or other durable material would be awesome if anyone knows.
Nothing and I wouldn't expect there to be for the wheel well liners anyway. Those would be pretty large injection molds for the plastic wheel liners and I doubt anyone wants to invest the capital in making a product that very few would be interested in. If there is an interest in replacement underbody panels it's in the form of metal skid plates, not plastic replacements that aren't going to provide any real protection. I've reached out to a few companies to see if they had any plans to develop skid plates for the Maverick and all of them have repeatedly said "NO" with the exception of Rival 4x4 USA who is trying to make a replacement aluminum engine skid plate for Ecoboost models. I would reach out to JCR Offroad and tell them you're interested in skid plates for the Maverick, the more we inquire the better chance we have of them developing products for the Maverick since they already offer a ton of skid plates for the closely related Bronco Sport

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I contacted a couple manufacturers about 3 months ago, and they had no plans on making them.

I think they would sell well. Maybe we can talk @Muslogy Auto into making them.

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hello

I'm still playing the waiting game so I'm not familiar with the material but if you think its strong enough to take a coating, you could check into some of the spray in liner products like Line-X or Rhino liner. Some of the marketing from those companies make it seem like you can coat anything with their products.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 2023 Maverick on Order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had sprayed the felt wheel well liners on my Subaru with spray can bedliner material for durability. Am not saying it was a good or bad thing or suggesting that anyone else do it but for me it seemed to work and would do it again. As I live in a remote area with lots of dirt/gravel roads it looked like the rocks were going to beat the felt liners to death so I sprayed them with several coats of the bedliner and it seems to be working. Don't know if I hurt or helped the noise cancelling ability of the felt, I can't notice a difference but am hard of hearing. The felt sucked up the bedliner spray like you can't believe. Can't remember which brand of spray cans that I used.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Im thinking about coating the wheel liners myself. As for the underbody I hope to make some panels for myself out of aluminum, one day. May just spray them too for a couple years. Now Im starting to think a bit. Once they become available order a second liner set. Then take the ones you have, lay out long strips of of slice pvc pipe or some other type of plastic strip long ways in em. Plastic rivet the panels together. Then coat them with bedliner on all layers to seal them together. Might have a pretty durable layer of protection them.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If these felt liners do turn out to be a problem & not make it through warranty period, Ford might install plastic ones on future models. It is strange that they put felt on the front & plastic on the rear.

OP
OP

Kwanzaa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
No
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Ecoboost XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm still playing the waiting game so I'm not familiar with the material but if you think its strong enough to take a coating, you could check into some of the spray in liner products like Line-X or Rhino liner. Some of the marketing from those companies make it seem like you can coat anything with their products.

Had sprayed the felt wheel well liners on my Subaru with spray can bedliner material for durability. Am not saying it was a good or bad thing or suggesting that anyone else do it but for me it seemed to work and would do it again. As I live in a remote area with lots of dirt/gravel roads it looked like the rocks were going to beat the felt liners to death so I sprayed them with several coats of the bedliner and it seems to be working. Don't know if I hurt or helped the noise cancelling ability of the felt, I can't notice a difference but am hard of hearing. The felt sucked up the bedliner spray like you can't believe. Can't remember which brand of spray cans that I used.

This is a great idea thanks for the suggestion. im going to seriously consider this and see if my local line-x can do it for a reasonable amount

Boomerang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid base on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My focus has a felt liner under the front/engine and I’ve had it for 8 years. It’s 2 miles of dirt driveway/rd to the nearest paved and it has held up fine. Makes changing the oil a pain though.

MiMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Escape, '09 Flex
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If these felt liners do turn out to be a problem & not make it through warranty period, Ford might install plastic ones on future models. It is strange that they put felt on the front & plastic on the rear.
It's interesting that my 2014 Escape has the felt wheel well liners on the rear and plastic on the front. I don't drive a lot of gravel/dirt roads, but the felt has held up. My complaint with the felt is that it is absorbent and holds dirt and salt. It takes a lot of flushing to clean them out. I think the idea of spraying them with bed liner might be the way to go if I ever get my Maverick.

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I did was spray the felt liners with ceramic wax, a friend of mine who works in detailing gave me a spray bottle of it to try on the paint & it does seem to work well, it also seems to keep snow & ice buildup on the felt liners to a minimum. If they held up for 9 years on an Escape, then I won't worry to much about their durability.

Goose20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing and I wouldn't expect there to be for the wheel well liners anyway. Those would be pretty large injection molds for the plastic wheel liners and I doubt anyone wants to invest the capital in making a product that very few would be interested in. If there is an interest in replacement underbody panels it's in the form of metal skid plates, not plastic replacements that aren't going to provide any real protection. I've reached out to a few companies to see if they had any plans to develop skid plates for the Maverick and all of them have repeatedly said "NO" with the exception of Rival 4x4 USA who is trying to make a replacement aluminum engine skid plate for Ecoboost models. I would reach out to JCR Offroad and tell them you're interested in skid plates for the Maverick, the more we inquire the better chance we have of them developing products for the Maverick since they already offer a ton of skid plates for the closely related Bronco Sport
Called Husky Liners today plan on making them by March...Have them on my F150 great product for rear wheel opening protection.....
Sponsored