First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen some of the other handheld radio mounts out there, but I wanted to improve them a bit for a few reasons. I wanted one mount for all my radios and wanted a better way to hold the microphones.

Most of the handheld microphones are 'wearable' mics with spring clips on the back, and most of the other mounts only hold one radio or another.

So here's what I came up with. This isn't the final version as I need to give it some final tweaks for the HAM radio with the extended battery as it currently sits really close to the Tune knob, but that and a support issue will be fixed in the final version. I also created adapters for the microphones that go over the wearble clip to use a CB-style mic mount:

With my Baofeng Tri-band and Microphone:

Ford Maverick An Even Better Handheld Radio Mount (And Then Some) Using Dashboard Cubby HAMRadio

With my Midland 75-822 CB and Mic:
Ford Maverick An Even Better Handheld Radio Mount (And Then Some) Using Dashboard Cubby CBRadio

And last, but not least, my Midland X-Talker FRS/GMRS Radio and Mic:
Ford Maverick An Even Better Handheld Radio Mount (And Then Some) Using Dashboard Cubby GMRSRadio

And the "and then some" is that I am currently printing a FITS Mount to use this same radio mount in my Bronco. That mount uses an ActionCam Mount (Think GoPro style).
Sponsored

OP
OP
UberGadgetFreak

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You sir win the award for best use of the dash cubby hole. Too bad the mod is not applicable to most anyone else though, but it is certainly ingenious for your application.
I have seen a few others on the forums who are also HAM Radio Operators and thought they'd like to see it, and even better for those who do any trail/offroading with their FX4'd Mavs where other radio types may be used.

Another mod I have made: A locking latch for the FITS connector. This small change means the radio mounts won't bounce out. more on that later :)

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have a Midland MXT-275 and want to get a cheap Baofeng for a mobile unit.

I. NEED. THIS!!!! Are you selling these?!

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IIRC the baofeng is HAM band capable? What kind of range do usually get out of these units? Did you mount an external antenna?

I've been toying with the idea of getting some handheld radios as an emergency prep. Since I don't have a ham license a CB or FRS/GMRS might be suitable. Can you do a quick rundown of the range/pros/cons of each type?

Sponsored

OP
OP
UberGadgetFreak

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Midland MXT-275 and want to get a cheap Baofeng for a mobile unit.

I. NEED. THIS!!!! Are you selling these?!
Not selling at the moment, but can make the 3D files available if you have a 3D printer. I printed with the wrong type of filament and it had melting issues that warped it. I am trying to find a good PLA filament (can withstand higher heat before distortion, generally good for this type of application) to use to re-print with some final changes and adding the locking latch to the setup.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP, I really like your creativity to use that existing and otherwise mostly useless cubby, but personally I don't want something like a radio in my field of view when driving.

So while a mount so high up would not be something that I would buy, you are to be commended for your ingenuity.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not selling at the moment, but can make the 3D files available if you have a 3D printer. I printed with the wrong type of filament and it had melting issues that warped it. I am trying to find a good PLA filament (can withstand higher heat before distortion, generally good for this type of application) to use to re-print with some final changes and adding the locking latch to the setup.
Very cool! Thank you for the offer. I know nothing about 3D printing and definitely don't have a printer. I assume this would be pretty time consuming to print? In other words, wondering what the feasibility is of me finding one at a local maker space or library is and printing it with my own filament.

OP
OP
UberGadgetFreak

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IIRC the baofeng is HAM band capable? What kind of range do usually get out of these units? Did you mount an external antenna?

I've been toying with the idea of getting some handheld radios as an emergency prep. Since I don't have a ham license a CB or FRS/GMRS might be suitable. Can you do a quick rundown of the range/pros/cons of each type?
The first thing is going to be power output which is the first factor of distance/range:

FRS is limited to 2 watts output maximum, some channels capped at 1/2 Watt (This is where a Baofeng radio can get you into trouble as most cannot be set below 1 watt output power. Only use Baofengs to listen, not transmit).
CBs are legally limited to 4 watts. An alternate is "Single Side Band" that can go up to 12 watts legally, but many go over that limit.
Marine VHF is limited to 25 watts.
GMRS is limited to 50 watts
UHF and VHF with licensing can go up to 1500 watts. Its recommended to use the least amount of power necessary when possible (although many go full 1500 anyway).

The second thing to note is that lower frequencies can penetrate more objects but lose power. VHF is better outside with line of sight and UHF better indoors. CB being in a lower range (25.615Mhz to 28.305Mhz) is often preferred for off-roading and distance/highway driving where cars stay within a few miles of each other.

Then there's amplifiers, antennas, etc. Most handhelds come with 'duck' antennas (rubber masts). Baofeng does make an amplifier that can be used with their handheld radios and use an external antenna, but these amplifiers are for single-band applications (i.e. VHF or UHF, but not both).

In general, the "real world range" is what you shoot for:
FRS: 1 mile
GMRS: 1 to 3 miles
CB: 5 miles
Marine: 35 miles
UHF/VHF: varies - some get range of about 5 miles; some can get as high as 100 (one of my radios is an 8-watt radio that can hit a repeater about 80 miles away using an extended range antenna). When you get up to 1500 watts, an antenna with enough height, and other factors work in your favor, you can talk pretty far. As in states away or further without needing a repeater.

I don't use an external antenna or amp on the handhelds. I do have an Anytone 778UV radio (25 watt) that I use in my Bronco currently that is using an external antenna and it works well.

I carry multiple radios myself because different groups of friends prefer different ones and wanted the one-mount-for-them-all solution for when I need a handheld of the other types in the Bronco or Mustang.

HAM radio is fun. I would say get a cheap radio to start with (be sure it comes with the programing cable or order one with the radio). The UV-S9 Plus (8-Watt Tri-band) goes for about $30 or the UV-5R for $22, and the cable for $10. From there, you can get free tools to program it (CHIRP is what I use-it can pull known frequencies from various sources online) and start listening to get familiar with the lingo. You can study and get the license pretty easy. I often tell people to use hamexam.org to study for the technician license, then schedule the test (you can find test locations on arrl.org). I suggest getting the actual books from ARRL to know the full details and really understand all the ins and outs, but if you want the license right away, the hamexam site works well to cram for the test :)

If you don't intend to use the radios too often, FRS is probably best. If you want to open the door to people all around the world, know what's going on nearby and even participate in local events, HAM is the way to go.

I hope all this helps. And this is just the high-level stuff. :)

OP
OP
UberGadgetFreak

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP, I really like your creativity to use that existing and otherwise mostly useless cubby, but personally I don't want something like a radio in my field of view when driving.

So while a mount so high up would not be something that I would buy, you are to be commended for your ingenuity.
I am considering an option to mount it lower (i.e. use the WeatherTech CupPhone base to use the cupholder insted) for that very same reason :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
UberGadgetFreak

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very cool! Thank you for the offer. I know nothing about 3D printing and definitely don't have a printer. I assume this would be pretty time consuming to print? In other words, wondering what the feasibility is of me finding one at a local maker space or library is and printing it with my own filament.
For my printer (Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus) at highest quality, it takes about 24-hours to print. I know some people with some higher end printers who could print it in about 6. There are places that will print your 3D files for you online. I had another project and someone used Shapeways.com to print it before. It cost a little bit, but didn't have to buy filament, just send the files and some cash.

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is hands down the best use I've seen of the cubby.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The first thing is going to be power output which is the first factor of distance/range:

FRS is limited to 2 watts output maximum, some channels capped at 1/2 Watt (This is where a Baofeng radio can get you into trouble as most cannot be set below 1 watt output power. Only use Baofengs to listen, not transmit).
CBs are legally limited to 4 watts. An alternate is "Single Side Band" that can go up to 12 watts legally, but many go over that limit.
Marine VHF is limited to 25 watts.
GMRS is limited to 50 watts
UHF and VHF with licensing can go up to 1500 watts. Its recommended to use the least amount of power necessary when possible (although many go full 1500 anyway).

The second thing to note is that lower frequencies can penetrate more objects but lose power. VHF is better outside with line of sight and UHF better indoors. CB being in a lower range (25.615Mhz to 28.305Mhz) is often preferred for off-roading and distance/highway driving where cars stay within a few miles of each other.

Then there's amplifiers, antennas, etc. Most handhelds come with 'duck' antennas (rubber masts). Baofeng does make an amplifier that can be used with their handheld radios and use an external antenna, but these amplifiers are for single-band applications (i.e. VHF or UHF, but not both).

In general, the "real world range" is what you shoot for:
FRS: 1 mile
GMRS: 1 to 3 miles
CB: 5 miles
Marine: 35 miles
UHF/VHF: varies - some get range of about 5 miles; some can get as high as 100 (one of my radios is an 8-watt radio that can hit a repeater about 80 miles away using an extended range antenna). When you get up to 1500 watts, an antenna with enough height, and other factors work in your favor, you can talk pretty far. As in states away or further without needing a repeater.

I don't use an external antenna or amp on the handhelds. I do have an Anytone 778UV radio (25 watt) that I use in my Bronco currently that is using an external antenna and it works well.

I carry multiple radios myself because different groups of friends prefer different ones and wanted the one-mount-for-them-all solution for when I need a handheld of the other types in the Bronco or Mustang.

HAM radio is fun. I would say get a cheap radio to start with (be sure it comes with the programing cable or order one with the radio). The UV-S9 Plus (8-Watt Tri-band) goes for about $30 or the UV-5R for $22, and the cable for $10. From there, you can get free tools to program it (CHIRP is what I use-it can pull known frequencies from various sources online) and start listening to get familiar with the lingo. You can study and get the license pretty easy. I often tell people to use hamexam.org to study for the technician license, then schedule the test (you can find test locations on arrl.org). I suggest getting the actual books from ARRL to know the full details and really understand all the ins and outs, but if you want the license right away, the hamexam site works well to cram for the test :)

If you don't intend to use the radios too often, FRS is probably best. If you want to open the door to people all around the world, know what's going on nearby and even participate in local events, HAM is the way to go.

I hope all this helps. And this is just the high-level stuff. :)
Thanks, that was a really good breakdown. I assume UHF/VHF are HAM? I actually have a couple of baofeng handhelds that I got really cheap a while back but never followed up with the ham license. Too many other other things to worry about.

CB actually sounds pretty useful given that you don't need a license. When I was a little kid and CB was all the rage people would put an antenna high up on their chimney for line of sight and some got what they said was pretty good performance. I know radio performance can vary wildly by local conditions, weather, etc., but 5 miles is pretty good for staying in contact with family locally in a power outage or something.

Kaytu

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Look into PETG, it has the heat resistance you want and it prints open air without too much of an issue (none of that ABS heated chamber stuff)! I've got a bunch of PETG in my truck and it's held up to Florida summer heat like a champ.

Also dang, this has me hankerin' for a radio now...

OP
OP
UberGadgetFreak

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine