Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

<< snip >>
Anyone else notice that the Ford mpg calculator is off by 1 or 2 MPGs? When I do the math (distance / # gallons), I regularly get 1 to 2 mpg less than Ford says I'm getting.
<< snip >>
There is an "Engineering Test" mode (ET mode) that you can access in your Maverick (just search "engineering test mode" here at MTC). My mileage estimates were "optimistic" by a good bit, so I went into ET mode and changed the appropriate setting to make it more accurate. It's still not perfect for short trip estimates (and likely never will be), but my "at the pump" mileage calculations are now pretty close to the "estimates" on the screen for the entire tank. On the negative side, it's now a LOT harder to get those fun "50+ mpg" trips in the Maverick, even though temps are warming up.

PS - Not really a response to ClemsonU88, but I hope we all realize that the display on the dash is an estimate only, and all reported mpg should be calculated based on the miles driven since the last fill-up, and the gallons pumped back into the vehicle. Anything else is pure speculation. The folks using the "miles remaining" display to claim achievement of 600-mile tanks are suffering from serious self-delusion...

For example - I had one short drive (after filling my tank) where the I got an estimated 91+ mpg (for a 1.3 mile "trip" over mostly level roads in warm weather, and with a fully-charged HV Battery). The display showed 1.3 miles of electric, even though the ICE did run briefly going up the one small hill on that route. So, based on 91 mpg, and with a 13.8 gallon tank, some here might claim they were getting more than 1200 miles on a tank of gas... But we all know that's complete BS! The very next time I drove, the display showed an estimated 36 mpg for the reverse of that exact same trip - closer to 495 miles for the tank. (On the 2nd "trip" the HV Battery likely still depleted from the first trip, since I got zero "electric" miles this time.)

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What type of gas are you running? I assume you are not using an ethanol blend.
Pretty sure that was "magic gas"...

Bamajim

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500. Ford Flex
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did my first long trip with my hybrid today. 632 miles with 590 interstate miles, cruise control set at 75 mph and according to the trip odometer, I averaged 38.2 mpg. I was very surprised for sure. Too tired from the driving to do it with pen and paper. Maybe tomorrow.
It drove really well especially around all the semis on the road. Seats were fairly comfortable, could use some more lower back support. Only thing that I noticed was how much brake pedal pressure was needed to disengage the cruise control. Something I will have to get used too. But otherwise very pleased with it. Just a very long trip

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All the short trips of 5-20 miles are good and we can all do that, but show me 350-400 mile trips with the 50's.
Sure. It's quite easy in mild weather.
"Hypermiling" I can go 800+ miles on one fill up.

All city, but no special tricks, always going with the flow of traffic, 700 miles per tank is easy.

California Coastal Winter ( 40°F to 60°F ) 600 miles per tank is not hard. City.

Keeping it under 50 mph does wonderful things to MPG.
😎

Ford Maverick Amazed at fuel economy of 2023 HYBRID 31BC2FFD-123D-482C-9FCB-C815D3A7F344

Ford Maverick Amazed at fuel economy of 2023 HYBRID 84F9A15C-AAC0-42BF-A001-382C3F07E913

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry to be that guy, but I'm just finding it a little hard to believe you're beating the rated highway fuel economy by 15 mpg. Sure you're doing the calculations right?
Yes. We're sure.

Are you sure you're driving yours right?

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
That's fantastic for highway, well done (y)

My commute home from work is a country road, speed limit is 35 - 45. I finally broke 70mpg coming home last night with eco mode. Slippery mode is not quite as good for this particular drive.
IMG_20230320_165401413.jpg
On a drive that short, that makes me think you started with the HVB at a high(er) state of charge and ended the drive with the HVB at a low(er) state of charge.

I second the tank averages/longer trips rather than the short trips. I'm not saying it's not possible, just it needs more data. I had a 50ish mile commute (one-way), but it was not hard for me to achieve the freeway MPG as my tank averages.

OP
OP
Mightybeast

Mightybeast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

But, yes I can confirm that maverick MPG estimator is off by 1-2% as any other vehicle. Best way to calculate is total on gas tank.

Ford Maverick Amazed at fuel economy of 2023 HYBRID Screenshot_20230322-194245

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

But, yes I can confirm that maverick MPG estimator is off by 1-2% as any other vehicle. Best way to calculate is total on gas tank.
Here's the thing:
I think Ford (and others) programs the MPG gauge a little high on purpose. You never hear of anyone saying their gauge reads too low. Nope.

If it were simply "imprecise" you and I and everyone would have equal numbers of trips and tanks too high and too low. Nope.

These are definitely, and I say deliberately biased high. Every vehicle I have owned, borrowed, or rented, has always read too high.

If it's not deliberate, then it's the ethanol and programmers are not willing to compensate for that even though it's the new normal.

That said, I bought this aftermarket thingy that reads from the OBDII port, call it "raw" data and guess what? Out of the box, it reads my real MPG and matches gallons pumped. If a generic "universal" reader can give accurate MPG that means Ford isn't trying very hard or.... just maybe.... is doing it on purpose. With 25 (35?) years of practice no more excuses.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Filled mine up for the first time last week, before our weekend anniversary getaway. The dash was showing 49.1 mpg, and a quick hand calculation dividing the 630 miles by 12.84 gallons yielded 49.065 mpg. - Dash calculation seems close enough to call even, and within the variance in pumps. (Prior fill was the dealer). FYI, I was showing roughly 70 miles to empty when I filled it, but forgot to snap a picture before resetting the trip odometer.

Our weekend getaway, which was better than half highway mileage returned 48.7 on the way out, driving through a horrendous storm, with a tornado alert with heavy traffic. The way home was 51.7, driving the reverse, with the a/c on, as it had become rather warm, even with a window open. - The Maverick is better with the a/c on, than with a window open at highway speeds.

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's the thing:
I think Ford (and others) programs the MPG gauge a little high on purpose. You never hear of anyone saying their gauge reads too low. Nope.
Actually, I have seen my mpg gauge read a little over 1mpg low, twice.

Overall, my gauge has been extremely accurate, so much so that I quit doing manual calculations at all.

Trip 2, which I have not reset in over 2k, shows 51.7 mpg today.

Andy2024

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to be that guy, but I'm just finding it a little hard to believe you're beating the rated highway fuel economy by 15 mpg. Sure you're doing the calculations right?
Ratings are done on a standard test so you can compare across vehicles. There's no reason to expect those test results to correlate to actual driving with hills, wind, extreme care on starts and regen braking usage. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
Sponsored