Sponsored

Am I the only one having an issue with Over The Air radio updates?

OP
OP
rclee

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Please explain more.

Do you see that the Maverick's WiFi is actually connected to your home wifi or hotspot. My home wifi signal is very weak so connecting to that is problematic for me thus I use my Android Phone HotSpot which had no issues connecting.

With a connection I then select "check for updates". Usually it takes me two or three times for the update to show.

Then I select "download the update". The update is around 446 MB in size so it takes about 5-10 minutes to download.

Then the instal. Be patient here as it looks like it is hanging at 100% but waiting about 5 minutes it says the install in done.

If you check the current version it will still show the old one. In about a day and a few cycles of powering on and off the Maverick a message on the infotainment screen will show "installation completed"

The latest update G2.1.0.1_R22362A (446MB) is documented here:

(XL & XLT) Update for Infotainment System 01/07/23
Hi Steve, I connect to my home wifi (in the garage) and it says "connected to yourwifinamehere" Then I go to check for updates and it spins for a bit and times out. I tried about 15 times and said the hell with it.

I saw some instructions on MTC about doing a reset on the radio (power and fast forward button) and tried again. I did the same sequence and connected to my iPhone12 with the same result. I even told it to forget my connection and tried both ways again.

It never downloads anything. I am stumped. I would be thrilled if it tried to download and crash. That way I knew it was talking to Ford at some point.
Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The infotainment system in the Maverick isn't new or specific to the vehicle. It's been around for a while, especially in the European market. From what I gather, it was used in Ford Transit's & Focus' in that market.

If you look up the software version, it will lead you to sites that refer it to Sync Lite/2.5.
I'm not about to go digging back into 2021 to find a reference, but I'm certain I read in multiple early Maverick test drive reviews about the 'new' Ford Audio system and it was never referred to as Sync Lite at that time.

Griswaldo906

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have tried over and over to get my damn radio to update. I have an XLT with the sync lite 2.5 I believe. I have tried home wi-fi and hotspot with my iPhone and it will not update. I am on 18.01 and I see from MTC that there is an update to G2.0.0.01. Any suggestions on how to get this thing updated? My bluetooth keeps disconnecting from my iPhone all the time and I get the occasional lock up on the radio and have to do a reset.

I would really like to do it at home, so I do not have to schedule visit to the dealer.
This is going to sound weird but this is how you should be able to get it to work, if you have a 4G/5G hotspot on your phone:

1. Do a soft reset on your sync system
2. Turn on the hotspot on your phone
3. Connect your Sync wifi to the hotspot on your phone
4. Drive to a park or outdoor venue where you have at good connection on your phone and you are FAR away from any outside wifi/bluetooth/other household radio interference
5. Check for updates
6. Wait for the updates to completely download
7. Drive home and you should be able to turn off your vehicle while the updates complete

I am not saying you should have to do it this way but the wireless chip in the Maverick is pretty much the worst I have ever dealt with as an IT Engineer. It is so susceptible to interference that in many situations it won't work no matter what you do.

These are the steps I followed to get mine to update and unfortunately, after a couple quick tries, it looks like I am going to have to follow them again - in the dead of a Michigan winter - if I want to take advantage of the extra stability on my next trip.

Sagara

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not about to go digging back into 2021 to find a reference, but I'm certain I read in multiple early Maverick test drive reviews about the 'new' Ford Audio system and it was never referred to as Sync Lite at that time.
I've heard multiple names. Ford Audio. Connected Touch Radio. Non-Sync. Can't afford the extra $4000-5000 radio. Peasant Infotainment lol

But like I said, they call it SYNC 2.5 across the pond and the updates are identical to what we're getting in the Maverick. At least I'm sticking with the moniker. Not trying to cause confusion or anything.

This is going to sound weird but this is how you should be able to get it to work, if you have a 4G/5G hotspot on your phone:

1. Do a soft reset on your sync system
2. Turn on the hotspot on your phone
3. Connect your Sync wifi to the hotspot on your phone
4. Drive to a park or outdoor venue where you have at good connection on your phone and you are FAR away from any outside wifi/bluetooth/other household radio interference
5. Check for updates
6. Wait for the updates to completely download
7. Drive home and you should be able to turn off your vehicle while the updates complete

I am not saying you should have to do it this way but the wireless chip in the Maverick is pretty much the worst I have ever dealt with as an IT Engineer. It is so susceptible to interference that in many situations it won't work no matter what you do.

These are the steps I followed to get mine to update and unfortunately, after a couple quick tries, it looks like I am going to have to follow them again - in the dead of a Michigan winter - if I want to take advantage of the extra stability on my next trip.
My buddy's 21 Ford Escape isn't that much better when it comes to updating SYNC 3 over WiFi. It gets a weak signal despite having a wireless AP in the garage, granted while parked outside. 2.3Gb updates are no joke and I laughed when we went to update it. There's no progress bar or percentage to let you know how much downloaded.

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please explain more.

Do you see that the Maverick's WiFi is actually connected to your home wifi or hotspot. My home wifi signal is very weak so connecting to that is problematic for me thus I use my Android Phone HotSpot which had no issues connecting.

With a connection I then select "check for updates". Usually it takes me two or three times for the update to show.

Then I select "download the update". The update is around 446 MB in size so it takes about 5-10 minutes to download.

Then the instal. Be patient here as it looks like it is hanging at 100% but waiting about 5 minutes it says the install in done.

If you check the current version it will still show the old one. In about a day and a few cycles of powering on and off the Maverick a message on the infotainment screen will show "installation completed"

The latest update G2.1.0.1_R22362A (446MB) is documented here:

(XL & XLT) Update for Infotainment System 01/07/23
Your truck has the ability to connect to an outside Wi-Fi hotspot. (Your house Wi-Fi router, your phones hotspot, etc) regardless of whether you have the internal hotspot active or not, or you were one of the tail end 2022s that got hit with the delete in return for a whopping $20 credit like me.

Once connected to the external Wi-Fi, you can run the update. It may take several attempts before the update is recognized and may take many minutes to actually start the download. Mine took about 5 minutes to start downloading, and then a good 10 minutes to complete the download, and maybe 5 more minutes to install.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your truck has the ability to connect to an outside Wi-Fi hotspot. (Your house Wi-Fi router, your phones hotspot, etc) regardless of whether you have the internal hotspot active or not, or you were one of the tail end 2022s that got hit with the delete in return for a whopping $20 credit like me.

Once connected to the external Wi-Fi, you can run the update. It may take several attempts before the update is recognized and may take many minutes to actually start the download. Mine took about 5 minutes to start downloading, and then a good 10 minutes to complete the download, and maybe 5 more minutes to install.
My home wifi signal is very weak in the garage so connecting to that is problematic.

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My home wifi signal is very weak in the garage so connecting to that is problematic.
Drive to your local Walmart. Their signal is usually pretty strong, even out in the parking lot.
Sponsored