Sponsored

AbnRgr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 944NA, Mazda Miata, PT Cruiser Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Air Bag Recall Effectiveness Questioned - Post Accident FullSizeRender
Last weekend, my Maverick was involved in an accident at a traffic light-controlled intersection. Both I and the other driver claimed we had the green light. With both of us entering the intersection, his Tundra with a cattle guard struck my front left fender with his right front quarter. Both my wife and I were belted. I was thrown toward the passenger side with sufficient force that I struck my wife. I and the occupants of the other vehicle were uninjured. My wife suffered deep tissue bruising of the chest and leg which continues to be a source of pain with movement. I was not found at fault by my insurance company. I donā€™t know whether the other driver was.

My concern is that no air bags deployed in my vehicle. Iā€™m attaching photos of both truck to evidence the force of the collision. I recently had the side air bag recall procedure completed on my truck. My question for the membership, especially those who might have auto engineering expertise, is whether there is an expectation one or more air bags should have deployed. I raise this as a possible continuing safety issue on the Maverick. If Ford has a representative monitoring MTC, I will welcome their input. Is there another agency or Ford element it would be appropriate for me to address my concern?

Iā€™m awaiting the result of the collision centerā€™s assessment. I would be surprised by anything other than the truck being totaled. Now, I begin the search for a replacement (VB, hybrid XLT, lux package, 360, SIBL, front tinted window, X-15 soft rollup cover). So far, I have struck out with Alabama dealers. Before the accident, Carvana and CarMax gave me offers of 31-31K.
Ford Maverick Air Bag Recall Effectiveness Questioned - Post Accident FullSizeRender
Ford Maverick Air Bag Recall Effectiveness Questioned - Post Accident IMG_2576
Ford Maverick Air Bag Recall Effectiveness Questioned - Post Accident IMG_2573
Ford Maverick Air Bag Recall Effectiveness Questioned - Post Accident IMG_2569
Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unfun- Out of an curiosity I called my insurance company and tried to get a feel for how they appraise a total loss- if its just Blue book- adjusted market rates or witchcraft- Seems to be the later as claims won't really engage specifics unless a real claim of loss is filed- I had the airbag recall done- Who knows if it was for the better in protecting us in the end- I think you should file a report with the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls - Good luck in the replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AbnRgr

AbnRgr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 944NA, Mazda Miata, PT Cruiser Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also am trying to gain an understanding of how my insurance company will value my truck. Between the tint job , bed cover, Muslogy trim kit, and multiple other odds and ends left in the truck, I can still substantiate an additional 1K of add-ons beyond any market adjustment.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am no expert, but if anything, I would have thought it would deploy your passenger curtain airbag since the force applied from the drivers front/side would push the passenger into the passenger door.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also am trying to gain an understanding of how my insurance company will value my truck. Between the tint job , bed cover, Muslogy trim kit, and multiple other odds and ends left in the truck, I can still substantiate an additional 1K of add-ons beyond any market adjustment.
I worked at a car dealership, and if the insurance companies value the vehicle anything like a dealership, all your add-ons are for your own enjoyment, they add zero to trade in value.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry for your trouble.

I would have thought the Tundra would fair better in the match.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FullSizeRender.jpg
Last weekend, my Maverick was involved in an accident at a traffic light-controlled intersection. Both I and the other driver claimed we had the green light. With both of us entering the intersection, his Tundra with a cattle guard struck my front left fender with his right front quarter. Both my wife and I were belted. I was thrown toward the passenger side with sufficient force that I struck my wife. I and the occupants of the other vehicle were uninjured. My wife suffered deep tissue bruising of the chest and leg which continues to be a source of pain with movement. I was not found at fault by my insurance company. I donā€™t know whether the other driver was.

My concern is that no air bags deployed in my vehicle. Iā€™m attaching photos of both truck to evidence the force of the collision. I recently had the side air bag recall procedure completed on my truck. My question for the membership, especially those who might have auto engineering expertise, is whether there is an expectation one or more air bags should have deployed. I raise this as a possible continuing safety issue on the Maverick. If Ford has a representative monitoring MTC, I will welcome their input. Is there another agency or Ford element it would be appropriate for me to address my concern?

Iā€™m awaiting the result of the collision centerā€™s assessment. I would be surprised by anything other than the truck being totaled. Now, I begin the search for a replacement (VB, hybrid XLT, lux package, 360, SIBL, front tinted window, X-15 soft rollup cover). So far, I have struck out with Alabama dealers. Before the accident, Carvana and CarMax gave me offers of 31-31K.
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_2576.jpeg
IMG_2573.jpeg
IMG_2569.jpeg
No frontal air bags should deploy, as you were hit from the front side. Side curtain airbags should only deploy if your doors are hit. Looks like it worked as intended.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Often times they will only cover those items if you asked for aftermarket item coverage. Sometimes they will.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am no expert, but if anything, I would have thought it would deploy your passenger curtain airbag since the force applied from the drivers front/side would push the passenger into the passenger door.
Actually, the left front hit would push driver and passenger left, not right. Your body will resist the G force. Since the doors were not hit (and not crushing inward) the airbags shouldn't deploy.

Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually, the left front hit would push driver and passenger left, not right. Your body will resist the G force. Since the doors were not hit (and not crushing inward) the airbags shouldn't deploy.
Yeah....I was going to delete my comment after realizing that myself a few minutes later. Object at rest will want to stay at rest (in this case driver slammed into drivers door). But I suppose my comment is still sort of true for what happens a few seconds after the impact. Object in motion will want to keep moving in the same direction, in this case tossing the driver against the passenger (which is what they said happened here). I would have hoped the airbags would deploy for both driver and passenger. Driver for the initial impact, passenger for the second "impact" afterwards.

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™m so sorry your wife got the brunt of the accident and is in painšŸ˜¢ Iā€™m glad you and the other driver are ok! I hope everything works out well for you both and your wi doesnā€™t have any long term effects šŸ¤žšŸ»

Reactions: Dad

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfun- Out of an curiosity I called my insurance company and tried to get a feel for how they appraise a total loss- if its just Blue book- adjusted makart rates or witchcraft- Seems to be the later as claims won't really engage specifics unless a real claim of loss is filed- I had the airbag recall done- Who knows if it was for the better in protecting us in the end- I think you should file a report with the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls - Good luck in the replacement.
This is exactly why I got GAP insurance.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is exactly why I got GAP insurance.
Gap - That's the term I was looking for. Progressive rep didn't know much about it.

RookieBlue7

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Donā€™t know what part of Alabama youā€™re in, but if itā€™s north west, and youā€™re not opposed to a little ride, Cartersville, GA Pugmire had 4 mavs on the lot the other day when I had mine serviced. They didnā€™t fix my recall though even though I specified I wanted it repaired during my appointment when I made it and they had the truck from 8:30 am to 5:15 pm
Sponsored