stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a lot of difference between wheel weight? I know that bigger off-road style tires would weight more, but if you were going to replace stock tires with the same size tire is there a real weight savings? Just curious because I never considered tire weight before as far as increasing mpg. I'm guessing some wheels weight a lot more than others?
You're talking about a 60lbs. difference total, between the absolute lightest and the heaviest wheels of the same size. Rotating mass is a little different. I would definitely choose a lighter wheel all other things being equal (lighter usually costs a lot), but you won't notice a difference.
Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're talking about a 60lbs. difference total, between the absolute lightest and the heaviest wheels of the same size. Rotating mass is a little different. I would definitely choose a lighter wheel all other things being equal (lighter usually costs a lot), but you won't notice a difference.
Thanks. I was thinking that you might see some difference if you got more aerodynamic style wheels. I remember reading (or hearing in a video) the F150 Lightning wheel are made to be aerodynamic to help with cutting down the overall wind resistance. How true is that statement? That I don't know.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. I was thinking that you might see some difference if you got more aerodynamic style wheels. I remember reading (or hearing in a video) the F150 Lightning wheel are made to be aerodynamic to help with cutting down the overall wind resistance. How true is that statement? That I don't know.
Aero wheels are covers, there is likely to be a barely measurable difference in drag coefficiency of different wheels. Look at the wheels that generally come stock on EVs or time trial bicycles (discs). It just doesn't make much of a difference in the real world, especially when adding them to a 3700lbs. brick.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aero wheels are covers, there is likely to be a barely measurable difference in drag coefficiency of different wheels. Look at the wheels that generally come stock on EVs or time trial bicycles (discs). It just doesn't make much of a difference in the real world, especially when adding them to a 3700lbs. brick.
That's what I was thinking when I hear about the F150 Lighting! Unless they did wind tunnel testing I figured that was a bunch of bs!

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there a lot of difference between wheel weight? I know that bigger off-road style tires would weight more, but if you were going to replace stock tires with the same size tire is there a real weight savings? Just curious because I never considered tire weight before as far as increasing mpg. I'm guessing some wheels weight a lot more than others?
I doubt there will be much noticeable difference in MPG but I might be wrong. However performance is effected greatly by wheel weight. You have a rotating mass that puts Out more outward force exponentially as the wheel spins faster. The math is way over my head but I’ve seen it explained online before. Maybe someone can chime in but I’ll look for a link to post here
As far as tire weights. There can be quite the difference depending on style/size etc. I’m not a hyper mile guy I just like to drive fast sometimes

edit: found this and it seems to be for the average Joe to understand. Thank God for no equations in this explanation lol
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/impact-of-wheel-weight

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because I still plan on doing backcountry in the hybrid. 2WD trucks can go a lot farther than you think!
I've got a 2012 Ford focus. It's front wheel drive. I believe it also has the torque vectoring/traction control system that is an early version of what the FWD Mav has. (I know it has torque vectoring, to what extent of relates to the Mav is what I'm not sure of)

It offers me a surprising amount of traction. I remember the last time we got snow, I was easily passing a BMW purely because I have fwd. I thought to myself "ultimate driving machine..pfft."

I think it will really help to have the weight over the drive wheels, too.

I think/hope we find the maverick very capable in slick situations. AT tires would probably help.

Personally, I'll deal with the look of a road tire to get better mileage and a quieter ride. I think I'm pretty much the Mavericks intended buyer: suburban dwelling first time truck buyer.

That being said, I'd be tempted, because that does look really cool.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Light wheels and tires are more about unsprung weight than rotating mass. Yes, lower rotating mass marginally improves acceleration and gas mileage, but it's in the noise.the light weight is more important in helping your suspension work better. Ideally the vehicle body glides along, undisturbed by bumps and holes while the wheels move up and down to follow the contours. Lighter wheels and tires (most of the unsprung weight) do this more easily. This improvement in a good suspension can be very noticeable.

OP
OP
HarrisonFordMaverick

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
As someone that just shoved the biggest newest all terrain tire onto the cheapest wheels I could find for my Outback, I have to say I do regret it. I went up about 7 lbs per corner and it really ate away at my mpg and performance. Lost about 3-mpg and vehicle feels very sluggish from a stop. It’s annoying to do the research but worth it in my opinion.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Most of y'all are going to hate this but I'm looking for 20's or possibly 22's and will lower mine.

I can hear panties wadding already... LOL.

"Why would you lower a truck?"

"If you lower it you can't use it like a truck."

"What a waste of a truck."

I'm 50 and have had dozens of trucks. All of them lifted or lowered, never stock. I currently have a lifted (about 5") 2017 GMC Sierra and a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (lifted 3.5" on 35" Geoloander X-MT's). I also have several hot rods and a few other daily drivers. My apologies for the poor PhotoCHOP (aka MS Paint because I suck at Photoshop).

unnamed.jpg
Hey Eric, My panties aren't in a knot cuz I ain't wearing them tonight! You do whatever you want to your rig.
I'm thinking about getting the glossy black cop car steel wheels. I'll have to wait for you technical guys to find out what works.
Can you PhotoChop me a Pro Street Mav for my avatar? I'll give ya full credit.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Light wheels and tires are more about unsprung weight than rotating mass. Yes, lower rotating mass marginally improves acceleration and gas mileage, but it's in the noise.the light weight is more important in helping your suspension work better. Ideally the vehicle body glides along, undisturbed by bumps and holes while the wheels move up and down to follow the contours. Lighter wheels and tires (most of the unsprung weight) do this more easily. This improvement in a good suspension can be very noticeable.
I'd be inclined to agree with this.
I've watched many o Corvette owner plop money down on lighter wheels, at least partially hoping for a significant performance increase.
You don't really see it on the drag strip but people that do road courses seem to notice it.

Sponsored

Tuner_Obsession

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JDM Fairlady Z TT (300zx), 350z, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If anyone is more into tuner style wheels, SSR makes a few wheels in 5x108 in 18", 19", and 20". Most are also 3 piece wheels so they have a huge selection of offsets. I used paint 3d to get a basic idea of what it could look like lowered with SSR Professor SP1's.

Ford Maverick Aftermarket Wheel Availability/Wish List for your 2022+ Maverick SSR SP1

Ford Maverick Aftermarket Wheel Availability/Wish List for your 2022+ Maverick Untitled3

Jezmund_Berserker

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really don't want to change wheels but have a sneaking suspicion that I won't be able to live with the looks of the Lariat wheels. Good chance I'll be looking to swap out for some XLT or FX4 take offs.
Same boat. I’ll be watching the forums for someone in Georgia with a set looking for a good home.

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey Eric, My panties aren't in a knot cuz I ain't wearing them tonight! You do whatever you want to your rig.
I'm thinking about getting the glossy black cop car steel wheels. I'll have to wait for you technical guys to find out what works.
Can you PhotoChop me a Pro Street Mav for my avatar? I'll give ya full credit.
Hahahahaha! Hmmm, front wheel drive pro street? All wheel drive pro street?

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rotiform makes disc covers that fit most of their wheels. Guys on the TDI forum that used them swore by them, but a lot of TDI members lie about their fuel efficiency so take it with a grain of salt.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If anyone is more into tuner style wheels, SSR makes a few wheels in 5x108 in 18", 19", and 20". Most are also 3 piece wheels so they have a huge selection of offsets. I used paint 3d to get a basic idea of what it could look like lowered with SSR Professor SP1's.

SSR SP1.jpg

Untitled3.png
Great, now I have to change my hybrid order to an awd Ecoboost 😖
Sponsored