Sponsored

Aftermarket locking differential for hybrid Maverick?

ackables

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Does anyone know/think that there would be an aftermarket locking differential made for the hybrid maverick? I want the mpg of the hybrid, but also want to have some extra off-road capability if I wanted to go down a fairly rough dirt road. Do you think adding some more aggressive tires will allow the hybrid to make it up some looser dirt roads, or would a locking diff would be needed for that?
Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tires do A LOT for a vehicle's traction, whether snow, ice, or gravel. For looser dirt roads without deep mud, holes, or really steep climbs, tires with a bit of bite will be nice.

Locking differentials are really only necessary when driving in gnarly conditions that might require a last-ditch effort to not get stuck. Or perhaps to get unstuck. If you are needing to drive in those conditions, AWD or 4WD are better options--perhaps with a locking differential as well.

Others may have different opinions, but I don't think that a locking differential on a low-clearance front-wheel drive truck is probably the right tool for the job.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would assume adding anything substantial to drivetrain from aftermarket would void your factory warranty. Might want to confirm before spending $ on it.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All terrain tires would help but probably not necessary in the conditions you're describing. If you're talking about mud stow some MaxTrax in the back and carry on.
Amazon Link

OP
OP

ackables

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
All terrain tires would help but probably not necessary in the conditions you're describing. If you're talking about mud stow some MaxTrax in the back and carry on.
Amazon Link
All terrain tires might just be what I need. I don't want to take any trails that require actual suspension articulation. My experience with rough dirt roads is my old 2007 mazda 3 that would just spin one wheel if any tire lost a little bit of grip. I know Ford does some braking trickery to keep open diffs from spinning a wheel endlessly. I just want to take fire roads and some remote dirt roads to camp sites without getting stuck. The maxtrax look pretty handy to always have in the truck. I wonder if they would fit behind the rear seats.

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remember that you will lose some MPG with all terrain tires, especially on a hybrid which normally come with tires that have a low rolling resistance. If conditions are dry you might be able to simply air down to about 20 psi when on those roads. This makes a big difference in traction. You'll need a small air compressor to air back up for pavement.

I doubt the Maxtrax will fit behind the seat. There are other smaller/thinner brands out there but Maxtrax are the best.

I've recently given up off-roading (old age catching up with me) but I have many years of fun in the rocks and dirt with various vehicles. Check out some on my YouTube channel if you like.

D K

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, M3, Corvette
Its gonna be a LOT more complicated (not impossible) to replace the diff unit inside the transaxle than a conventional FR layout.

I would like to know what can be done for the rear though…

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am so confused here- isn’t a differential on a rear axle? Considering that the hybrid is fwd…would a locking diff. Make any difference at all? That and do locking transaxles even exist for FWD vehicles? I don’t off-road often unless it’s on an ATV- and here in California we don’t get weather that is bad enough to even park a motorcycle often.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There seems to be a fair amount of people on here that aren't getting that the Maverick is essentially a car with an open bed, NOT an off roading vehicle. Especially the hybrid. Trying to turn the Maverick into something it isn't is just going to lead to a lot of stuck Maverick drivers.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I am so confused here- isn’t a differential on a rear axle?
You need a differential any time you want to turn, and apply power to both sides of the vehicle. The inside tires travel a shorter path, and the differential allows the wheels to turn at different rates.

AWD has 2 differentials.

Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need a differential any time you want to turn, and apply power to both sides of the vehicle. The inside tires travel a shorter path, and the differential allows the wheels to turn at different rates.

AWD has 2 differentials.
That much I understand but the OP specifically mentioned hybrid, which is only available as a FWD. wondering why locking a rear end on a FWD vehicle would be of any help if there is no power to it

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Locking front differential doesn’t let you turn, have to unlock to turn. Been there done that…

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided

AWD has 2 differentials.
It would have 3

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
There is no front or rear end to put a locker in. The transmission acts as both. The traction control can simulate a limited slip differential by applying brakes to slipping wheels, but as others have said, this is a car with a bed. A Ranger might be a better choice for you.

docwatson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissans
All of this really depends on the competence of the Ford AWD system. Some manufactures' AWD systems better move power with the brakes (as Wire4money mentions) than others. There are FWD cars that can have a mechanical limited slip installed, but I doubt someone will make one for the Maverick.

There are so many variables and preconceived ideas of what people mean by "off road" these conversations get lost. The AWD Maverick, and potentially the FWD can likely handle exactly what the OP is mentioning, especially with adequate tires. Until we have pictures or a trail name, it's really conjecture.

Throw some traction boards, a come along, and a shovel in the bed and you have all your bases covered. Truth be told the best investment would probably be finding a local group/individual that does 4x4 driving instruction before trying to install any aftermarket equipment in the FWD Maverick.
Sponsored