Sponsored

Advice for newbie dealing with dealerships?

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gotta separate the wheat from the chaff somehow. I wish you good luck.
The UNREFUNDABLE part certainly separated the wheat from the chaff for me! If you actually went for this deal you have my condolences! On the bright side, it sounds like they do a great job on the order. It would be nice if they would arrange delivery like LM does.

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Condolences? For buying a Lariat at 3% under invoice, low fees and a hassle free buying experience? Lol...

You do understand why they do this, Yes? - Ford penalizes dealerships for taking orders that end up not going to the original order taker. For high volume dealerships like Granger the penalty could be significant so they pass that penalty on to the chaff.

I'm sure LM is a fine dealership... if you want to pay msrp and a delivery fee to have it delivered. Not sure what their down payment policy is - but they too protect themselves from folks who are not serious, or cannot take delivery.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/long-mcarthur-review-a.13624/

And I'll bet LM does not deliver many because of the liability.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ry-from-long-mcarthur-ford-via-flatbed.11065/

22Ford XL Basic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda cx5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. Don't pay over MSRP.

2. Make sure you find a dealer that understands Ford's ordering and verification (COVP) process.

3. Ask the dealer to show you a list of 2022 Maverick orders and explain how many of their orders have been scheduled, delivered or pushed to MY23.

4. Get a final, out-the-door price, in writing, from the dealer that shows the price of the truck, any dealer/doc fees and any required "add-ons" they like to slip in like nitrogen in the tires, wheel locks, and ceramic coatings. You don't have to take that crap. If they insist, go to the next dealer.

5. Don't feel you have to put a deposit down to order. Ford does not require deposits. Many dealers do, but that's their choice. Furthermore, IF you put down a deposit, under no circumstances should it be non-refundable. You are likely to wait a year or more for this truck, and despite what the dealer tells you, there is NO GUARANTEE Ford is going to build it for you -- ever. You should have the option to get your deposit back if you change your mind or need to purchase a different vehicle in the meantime.

6. Find a dealer that likes to communicate with customers and does not mind providing regular (monthly, at minumum) updates about the status of your order and what they are seeing overall in Maverick fulfillment for their customers.

22Ford XL Basic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda cx5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some very good advise here.
I trusted Ford and the local dealer to honor my commitment from the salesman at a local dealership. I specified no add on's and the Maverick had a certain value to me in it's listed manufacturer extras as specified on the order. Well it took over 12 months to build and deliver my Maverick as ordered. During the time the demand for these vehicles sky rocked as well as dealer pricing over manufacturers suggested retail price. Now enters the probability of the loss of ethics and honesty to get out of the deal so they could sell my Maverick at a significantly higher price. By modifying my vehicle making it illegal in my state and refusing to remove them. They cancelled my order, returned my deposit and check. My immediate reaction was horror causing me to reflect on the honesty and integrity of the dealer. Then I reflected on the downstream honesty of their service department. It would be interesting to know if there was a deposit in place before they did this to me.

Sponsored

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Condolences? For buying a Lariat at 3% under invoice, low fees and a hassle free buying experience? Lol...

You do understand why they do this, Yes? - Ford penalizes dealerships for taking orders that end up not going to the original order taker. For high volume dealerships like Granger the penalty could be significant so they pass that penalty on to the chaff.

I'm sure LM is a fine dealership... if you want to pay msrp and a delivery fee to have it delivered. Not sure what their down payment policy is - but they too protect themselves from folks who are not serious, or cannot take delivery.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/long-mcarthur-review-a.13624/

And I'll bet LM does not deliver many because of the liability.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ry-from-long-mcarthur-ford-via-flatbed.11065/
You got a great deal! I'm assuming you've already received the truck.
Also, when I talked to Grainger they didn't mention the 3% off! I don't know if this was an oversight or a change in their current policy. That 3% off makes a huge difference, but I still would not risk $1000 up front on an internet purchase.
Did you live close enough to Grainger to make eye contact with someone there, before paying the $1000?
Personally, I prefer to spend nothing up front and then pay an extra 5-6 hundred to local dealer when I'm looking at the truck.
The absolute most important thing is to be able to confirm that you have actually purchased the truck when you order the truck! I intend to get that right.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are more properly called "Stealerships". The one in Buena Park, Ca. wants $12,500 over sticker.
That sounds like Ken Grody Ford.... There are 4 in Sothern california and they have fleet dealership status. They take cars and trucks from their lower markets and ship them to their higher market dealers like the one in Buena Park and Carlsbad.

North County Ford Vista ca. is where I got mine at MSRP

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You got a great deal! I'm assuming you've already received the truck.
Also, when I talked to Grainger they didn't mention the 3% off! I don't know if this was an oversight or a change in their current policy. That 3% off makes a huge difference, but I still would not risk $1000 up front on an internet purchase.
Did you live close enough to Grainger to make eye contact with someone there, before paying the $1000?
Personally, I prefer to spend nothing up front and then pay an extra 5-6 hundred to local dealer when I'm looking at the truck.
The absolute most important thing is to be able to confirm that you have actually purchased the truck when you order the truck! I intend to get that right.
Yes I did. They had two great deals, but you really had to order before October when they were building their allocations. They will do another under invoice deal for '23 models(which they have not announced yet), just not as good as the original deals.

No, I live 1,100 miles from Granger but followed them on Bronco6g forums - no doubt in my mind, I knew they were good guys. Zach has a completely different dealership model to build his dealership.

You'll be lucky to find a truck on local dealer lots - and very lucky if it's only 5 or 6 hundred above msrp. You might visit a dealer - they have no cars to sell, even in Detroit. The market has been upside down for 18+ months and it won't get better for another year or two.

Nice thing about Granger - you don't have to worry about 'getting it right'. Read the reviews.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After 50+ years of dealing with dealerships, my best advice is "don't". In the sense that you can and should do 99.9% of the buying process online. Ask to speak with the Internet Sales Manager. If they don't have one, trash that dealership. You should have all the final figures and documents and contracts sent to you by email, and the only reason you step into a dealership is to sign a document you're already happy with.

Once you step in the door of a slimier dealership, it is a lost cause if you're a newbie. These people are highly trained in manipulating you and making you sweat and stealing your money.

Sponsored

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You'll be lucky to find a truck on local dealer lots - and very lucky if it's only 5 or 6 hundred above msrp. You might visit a dealer - they have no cars to sell, even in Detroit. The market has been upside down for 18+ months and it won't get better for another year or two.
I have yet to see a single Maverick for sale on one of my local lots! I wish I had, it would give me an indication of how likely that dealer is to defraud an ordering customer out of his Maverick.
I'll be ordering a 2023 when the order bank opens.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey all, I'm considering ordering a new Maverick. Any advice for dealing with dealerships?
Be pleasant but trust nobody. Get everything documented and save everything. Always dicker for the best deal and name drop other dealers. Some are bad but some are good.
Stand your ground.

4sambos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Avalanche, Prius, Camry Hybrid,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you thought of ordering from Long McArthur in Salina KS? They do have up to $1K in shipping if you finance w them? Checkout there YouTube channel at Long McArthur or “Ford Video Guy” presented by Tim Bartz.

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some very good advise here.
I trusted Ford and the local dealer to honor my commitment from the salesman at a local dealership. I specified no add on's and the Maverick had a certain value to me in it's listed manufacturer extras as specified on the order. Well it took over 12 months to build and deliver my Maverick as ordered. During the time the demand for these vehicles sky rocked as well as dealer pricing over manufacturers suggested retail price. Now enters the probability of the loss of ethics and honesty to get out of the deal so they could sell my Maverick at a significantly higher price. By modifying my vehicle making it illegal in my state and refusing to remove them. They cancelled my order, returned my deposit and check. My immediate reaction was horror causing me to reflect on the honesty and integrity of the dealer. Then I reflected on the downstream honesty of their service department. It would be interesting to know if there was a deposit in place before they did this to me.
That's Nasty! Sorry to hear it!
It sounds as if your contract to purchase that Maverick was with an internet dealer in another state. Is that correct?
Can you give us the city that this dealer is located in? As has been said here before, it appears these corrupt dealers clump together in area groups!
Are you going to attempt to order a 2023 from a hopefully more reputable dealer?
Sponsored