First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me trying to get much better MPG is just a game. With a hybrid there is minimal cost savings. At 13,000 miles a year and 3.65/gal gas, going from 41 to 48 only saves $168 a year (if that MPG is averaged for the FULL year). If I try really hard I may inconsistently get 45. Without trying I get 42. 45 would only save me $75 a year. The headache and stress of trying to maintain a high mpg is not worth it for me. I do recognize that we all have different variables though.
To each his own.
If I can save $168 a year, merely by doing something that occupies my time and my mind while I drive, I will gladly do it. Where we live, $168 pays 3 months' worth of water bills OR 2 months' worth of springtime electric bills.
Sponsored

JDisME

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh I sure get that. Since a lot of people don’t want to work anymore, my work is begging for people to work . If I cover someone else’s shift (no heavy lifting involved ) I can pay that gas savings in 3 hours. 3 hours to pay for stress free driving..to me it’s worth it. I can always and do try to get bigger when I can. Highway miles with the fam don’t help.
As far as mpgs go, alot of people don’t realize the savings is not linear: savings are minimal as mpgs increase. And ..I’ll be fair..I’m always running late for work. That kills my mpgs. Haha

OP
OP
MaveRichard

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

937 sounds about right.
I set mine to 950 and the dash is still about 0.5 MPG better than reality. But much closer than the factory stock setting.
I thought 937 would be perfect but looking at the data showed me a more interesting quirk. Early in the year when I got the truck I used remote start a lot due to ambient temps. It seems that, because the truck is not "awake" during a remote start cycle, that this time of stationary running is not included in the trip MPG calculation.

The trip vs. calculated numbers are trending around 5% higher in warmer weather and with limited/zero use of remote start as a test. Hence me starting at 950. Based on my most recent fuel up after making the change I am about .5 MPG off as well.

I really just enjoy the fact that I can objectively believe the number I see on the dash - especially when I shut it off and see 60+ MPG for a trip!

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Early in the year when I got the truck I used remote start a lot due to ambient temps. It seems that, because the truck is not "awake" during a remote start cycle, that this time of stationary running is not included in the trip MPG calculation.
Yeah, the vehicle/instrument cluster has to be fully up and running to log fuel consumption. Thus, your trip computers do not include time or fuel consumption on remote start. The more you use remote start, the more that skews the data. The displayed mpg is never going to be 100% accurate with remote start as a result. Best to use only tanks that involve no remote start when calibrating the AFE Bias.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm about to add a variable: towing for summer vacation. Will see how that affects things.

Instead of one tank burned every 6 weeks I'm gonna burn 6 tanks in a week.

OP
OP
MaveRichard

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm about to add a variable: towing for summer vacation. Will see how that affects things.

Instead of one tank burned every 6 weeks I'm gonna burn 6 tanks in a week.
A bit hard to call this "towing" with a 400lb PWC, but due to how loaded down I was I ran it in tow/haul. We were easily approaching max payload with people+gear and you could tell. Ran 70-75 MPH without a white knuckle in sight.

Ford Maverick Adjusting AFE Bias - 5000 miles of Data from my Hybrid Maverick maverick  truck jet

After Adjusting the AFE bias to 950 and driving home the dash said 30.0 MPG for a 275 mile trip.
Fuelly says 30.2 MPG - I am happy with the results of the change so far. Even with an aerodynamic load, 30 mpg towing surprised me.

I will fill up tonight with my first "back in town" full tank, curious to see if the results are similar.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nice.

OP
OP
MaveRichard

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

With AFE Bias at 950 I am happy to report that the two tanks following this change were within 1%.

Ford Maverick Adjusting AFE Bias - 5000 miles of Data from my Hybrid Maverick 1691597637023

For now, I am content with the accuracy of the MPG on the dash. I will be curious to see if winter/cold weather changes these results

OP
OP
MaveRichard

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Stretched this tank farther than I ever will again, just to see how much I could comfortably put in it. Also as a test of this AFE bias adjustment.

This change works perfectly. My trip MPG is now near perfectly accurate (0.1).

Ford Maverick Adjusting AFE Bias - 5000 miles of Data from my Hybrid Maverick IMG_4744

Ford Maverick Adjusting AFE Bias - 5000 miles of Data from my Hybrid Maverick IMG_4747
Sponsored