Sponsored

About the Adaptive Cruise Control in the Maverick...

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
A quick search here, tells me I'm not the only one who would really like to have this feature without spending a ton extra on the Lariat trim level... and I think the 360 package as well.....
So I was talking with my friend / mechanic about this, and he said that if the Maverick was ready for adaptive cruise control, it should actually be very easy to add it after the fact (as in, a simple software update). So what would make it "ready" ? Does the 360 package give one the sensors which are needed for adaptive cruise control ?

Just the fact that its possible to have adaptive cruise control on a Maverick, should make it a lot easier to end up with it, but without spending a TON more for the Lariat trim... Anyone have any ideas ? Oh, I have seen here that the XLT is available with adaptive cruise control in Canada.

PS, I believe that adaptive cruise control is one of those things which is like a flat screen TV..... which is to say, a person could go their whole lives without it, and never know what they were missing. But once you have had it (and I do, in my 2019 Prius LE) it just becomes a must.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A quick search here, tells me I'm not the only one who would really like to have this feature without spending a ton extra on the Lariat trim level... and I think the 360 package as well.....
So I was talking with my friend / mechanic about this, and he said that if the Maverick was ready for adaptive cruise control, it should actually be very easy to add it after the fact (as in, a simple software update). So what would make it "ready" ? Does the 360 package give one the sensors which are needed for adaptive cruise control ?

Just the fact that its possible to have adaptive cruise control on a Maverick, should make it a lot easier to end up with it, but without spending a TON more for the Lariat trim... Anyone have any ideas ? Oh, I have seen here that the XLT is available with adaptive cruise control in Canada.

PS, I believe that adaptive cruise control is one of those things which is like a flat screen TV..... which is to say, a person could go their whole lives without it, and never know what they were missing. But once you have had it (and I do, in my 2019 Prius LE) it just becomes a must.
there is a lengthy thread on this already called the elephant in the room. All the info you seek is there...

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
I must be the only one who has it in their current vehicle and hates it!
Nope, one of ours has it and I hate calibrating the follow distance. Without realizing it, the car will slow with a good 6-8 car lengths in front of us with the default distance. It slows so gradually that I don't notice the speed change until cars are passing us.

I love CC, but I really dislike adaptive. I can see situations where it would be useful (city logjams) but I hope it has a disable option for long road trips, when I use CC the most.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
there is a lengthy thread on this already called the elephant in the room. All the info you seek is there...
That thread is about adding basic cruise to the XL, not adaptive.

The primary missing components for Adaptive CC on a non-Lariat is a steering wheel with the extra controls, the forward looking radar, and wiring harnesses. It has been done before with F150. If you're buying the parts from Ford expect to be a thousand dollars or more (at which point might as well spring for the trim level upgrade) unless you find a rear-ended Lariat to pick off of.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That thread is about adding basic cruise to the XL, not adaptive.

The primary missing components for Adaptive CC on a non-Lariat is a steering wheel with the extra controls, the forward looking radar, and wiring harnesses. It has been done before with F150. If you're buying the parts from Ford expect to be a thousand dollars or more (at which point might as well spring for the trim level upgrade) unless you find a rear-ended Lariat to pick off of.
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't adaptive CC the only type offered on any Maverick trim level? That was the impression I got, but didn't dig deeper because I'm not getting CC on my XL anyways.

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
The Adaptive CC in my Prius works super well. Adjusting the distance is also very easy. The only negative thing I find, is that I drive SO much with this feature in my Prius... then I hop into my truck, which doesn't have it, and then a few X's, I've caught myself getting closer to the vehicles in front of me, than I wanted to, forgetting that my trucks CC is not smart enough to slow down, or stop itself if I need too. Depending on how one looks at it, I guess adaptive CC kind of trains you to not have to pay much attention to the cars in front of you :0

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
No. Only Lariat Lux gets the Adaptive Cruise control where it automatically adjusts speed to match a vehicle in front of you. All other trims with cruise just have set speed.
Right. So I'm just wondering what a person would have to do, to get Adaptive CC in an XLT... like they have in Canada ?

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would need to replace at least the steering wheel (or possibly just its switches) and install the radar module + bracket + cover + wiring harness. Possibly also ABS control module and Image Processing Module looking at info on newer F150s. Then you need to get into the various computers with something like Forscan to enable and calibrate. Edit: looks like you also need Ford IDS tool/software to reprogram the ABS.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
You would need to replace at least the steering wheel (or possibly just its switches) and install the radar module + bracket + cover + wiring harness. Possibly also ABS control module and Image Processing Module looking at info on newer F150s. Then you need to get into the various computers with something like Forscan to enable and calibrate. Edit: looks like you also need Ford IDS tool/software to reprogram the ABS.
TY. Doesn't the 360 package add this stuff ? I think I read somewhere that the 360 package was also required for Adaptive cruise control, so that's why I ask...

Maybe It's Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I must be the only one who has it in their current vehicle and hates it!
I've used it in a few different vehicles and they are not all created equal. Nissan's adaptive CC is mediocre at best. Subaru's "eyesight" adaptive CC is phenomenal. Nissan uses one camera, mounted in the front grill (at least in the newer Rogues). Subaru uses 2 cameras mounted at the top of the windshield. I think that may partially explain why Subaru is better - it can more easily judge distance with 2 cameras and can also see further ahead.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
any sensors in front bumper?
Sponsored