Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A “Transit” solution to the Mav’s steelies

I have read the other posts on options for the Mavericks’ steel wheels, and am still considering “painting’ my Mav’s it’s, Area 51 blue.
But at the time, I thought I would do something, like what I had done in the past. And l went looking for a possible stock “Ford” product as a solution.
I settled on the Ford Transit.
Ford Maverick A "Transit" solution to the Maverick steelies Ford Transit Wheels

The Transit is the modern day version of Ford’s long running Econoline series of Vans (commercial vehicles). I see a lot of them at work and in the “Trades” and you may see one on your next delivery from Amazon.
The wheel caps are made from the same Thermoplastic material as our Mav’s XL trim. And I hoped it might be a “Quick N Easy” mod. (Remember this phrase for later. LOL).
In doing some R&D, I found that the lug spacing on the Transit is 5/180mm. While, the Mav’s is’ 5/108mm. Bummer dead-end?.

So, I looked for other options and in the process, I did lookup the link to a Wheel / Lug chart that was posted on this forum. To my surprise, I found that the Transit’s little brother the Ford Transit Connect, and its European cousin – Tourneo/Custom did share the same spacing. Great! More R&D.
Unfortunately, I soon found out that the Connect is only offered with “Full-Wheel” covers. But, fortunately, I found some online photos of Customs’ with the Black Caps. (The UK-style license plates gave it away). A little more R&D and found a part number! Great!
Well, the not so great news Was, that all those online were in “Used” condition. Bummer...
Until, I found a NEW set of four from an OEM seller in ... Greece. Great!
Well, for $125.00 US.(the set and shipping). I figured what could I loose..
I purchased the set the day after Christmas, got confirmation on being shipped and than waited and waited... :whistle:

Being at my job for as long as I have. I have learned to have a Plan “B”; “C” and even had a “D”. After two weeks and no new info. I started to work on a “Plan B”.
With a physical Mav cap (one off “Blu”) and a printed copy of the backside of a Transit cap, complete with ruler. I started working on the optional backup plan...
The set took 35 days (this is the “Quick” part) to get from Athens to my front porch.
And when I open the box... :confused:

Plan “B”. (“Easy” part)
Having analyzed the cap and the photo. I found that with the help of a small ½ inch width piece (spacer) of 3 inch PVC drain pipe and some useful grooves, molded into the top and backside of the caps (to aid in alignment) that this might work...
With a Transit cap in my possession, I was able to confirm my theory.
Using the outer of the two grooves on the Mav cap, I bonded the spacer, a few days before assembly.
Ford Maverick A "Transit" solution to the Maverick steelies Transit_Cap_Spacer_Ca

In order to be sure of a proper alignment. I had propped up the Mav’s left rear wheel to use. In assembling the new cap, I snapped on a Mav cap with the spacer already pre-bonded. And then added the adhesive to the (sanded) inside groove of the Transit cap and to the top edge of the spacer. This bonder sets up in 15 minutes, so I gave it about five minutes before setting the Cap in place. I rotated the cap left/right to help evenly spread the adhesive. And than while still applying pressure, rotated the wheel a few revolutions every few minutes to visually check for a true alignment. After 20+ minutes had past, I applied tape to hold the cap in place and left it to set for about two-three hours.
At which time, I was able to pop both caps off in one piece!

It took me two nights to do all four and the set has been on the truck for over three weeks, with no issues... :cool:
Ford Maverick A "Transit" solution to the Maverick steelies Blu_New_Caps June2023

I think I am pretty well set with wheels for now...

Jerry
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A “Transit” solution to the Mav’s steelies

I have read the other posts on options for the Mavericks’ steel wheels, and am still considering “painting’ my Mav’s it’s, Area 51 blue.
But at the time, I thought I would do something, like what I had done in the past. And l went looking for a possible stock “Ford” product as a solution.
I settled on the Ford Transit.
Ford Transit Wheels.jpg

The Transit is the modern day version of Ford’s long running Econoline series of Vans (commercial vehicles). I see a lot of them at work and in the “Trades” and you may see one on your next delivery from Amazon.
The wheel caps are made from the same Thermoplastic material as our Mav’s XL trim. And I hoped it might be a “Quick N Easy” mod. (Remember this phrase for later. LOL).
In doing some R&D, I found that the lug spacing on the Transit is 5/180mm. While, the Mav’s is’ 5/108mm. Bummer dead-end?.
So, I looked for other options and in the process, I did lookup the link to a Wheel / Lug chart that was posted on this forum. To my surprise, I found that the Transit’s little brother the Ford Transit Connect, and its European cousin – Tonneau/Custom did share the same spacing. Great! More R&D.
Unfortunately, I soon found out that the Connect is only offered with “Full-Wheel” covers. But, fortunately, I found some online photos of Customs’ with the Black Caps. (The UK-style license plates gave it away). A little more R&D and found a part number! Great!
Well, the not so great news Was, that all those online were in “Used” condition. Bummer...

Until, I found a NEW set of four from an OEM seller in ... Greece. Great!
Well, for $125.00 US.(the set and shipping). I figured what could I loose..
I purchased the set the day after Christmas, got confirmation on being shipped and than waited and waited... :whistle:

Being at my job for as long as I have. I have learned to have a Plan “B”; “C” and even had a “D”. After two weeks and no new info. I started to work on a “Plan B”.
With a physical Mav cap (one off “Blu”) and a printed copy of the backside of a Transit cap, complete with ruler. I started working on the optional backup plan...
The set took 35 days (this is the “Quick” part) to get from Athens to my front porch.
And when I open the box... :confused:

Plan “B”. (“Easy” part)
Having analyzed the cap and the photo. I found that with the help of a small ½ inch width piece (spacer) of 3 inch PVC drain pipe and some useful grooves, molded into the top and backside of the caps (to aid in alignment) that this might work...
With a Transit cap in my possession, I was able to confirm my theory.
Using the outer of the two grooves on the Mav cap, I bonded the spacer, a few days before assembly.
Transit_Cap_Spacer_Cap.jpg

In order to be sure of a proper alignment. I had propped up the Mav’s left rear wheel to use. In assembling the new cap, I snapped on a Mav cap with the spacer already pre-bonded. And then added the adhesive to the (sanded) inside groove of the Transit cap and to the top edge of the spacer. This bonder sets up in 15 minutes, so I gave it about five minutes before setting the Cap in place. I rotated the cap left/right to help evenly spread the adhesive. And than while still applying pressure, rotated the wheel a few revolutions every few minutes to visually check for a true alignment. After 20+ minutes had past, I applied tape to hold the cap in place and left it to set for about two-three hours.
At which time, I was able to pop both caps off in one piece!

It took me two nights to do all four and the set has been on the truck for over three weeks, with no issues... :cool:
Blu_New_Caps June2023.jpg

I think I am pretty well set with wheels for now...

Jerry
Nice write up. I feel that if you painted them they would look more off-roading like

OP
OP
Fcnrwy

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is a solid idea, I like it. For me, I was trying for that late 60s early 70s rally wheel, but that's why we make these mavericks our own.

20221216_104638.jpg
Yours was one of the first mods that I saw on the forum.. ;)
What is the pinstripe on your steelie's centers. (Cheater stripe) paint or tape?

Also, been kicking around side pinstripes. I still have a half a roll of the medium blue from doing my last Ranger...
Jerry

Sponsored

Haroldb007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wasn't satisfied with the paint edge on the wheels, the black blead under the tape, not much but I could see it, so I used a vinyl pin strip to cover the transition.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice improvements all. But I haven't really seen a steelie modification yet that would convince me to keep them, when there are so many other options out there.

FabMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nice look! A quick google search for the part# BK21-1130 CK4Z-1130 finds those center caps available at a variety of places at all different prices (and sometimes cheaper than OP’s $125).

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I appreciate your ingenuity and determination to see your vision through. Nice job 👍🏼

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fcnrwy

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice look! A quick google search for the part# BK21-1130 CK4Z-1130 finds those center caps available at a variety of places at all different prices (and sometimes cheaper than OP’s $125).
Ya, But the "Part Number" that i was looking for was... 1763878

This is what the auction discription stated:

"1 set (4 pieces) original Ford hub caps
Suitable for original Ford 15"+16" steel rims on Transit/Tourneo Custom from 2012 up to now
Easy assembly by slipping onto the wheel nuts
Color: black, material: plastic
Outer diameter approx. 24.5 cm
Ford part number: 1763878"

And this is what I got...
Ford Maverick A "Transit" solution to the Maverick steelies P_N 1763878

Not sure what happen here.. But, these caps have the 5/180mm spacing..

Upset, NO
Since, the American Connects did not come with this option.
I was at the start already thinking of ... "Plan B".
It was just a long, long, long shot that I couldn't pass up.

If it had worked! I would have had the problem of (waiting) in replacing one if lost.
As it turned out, I can easily replace one, now by a local source.

Also, I simplified the work on the 'Spacers".
I did spend a few hours on each, filing and beveling them to get the right gap (7/16 in) and the maximum surface area. That way I could ensure that the bonding adhesive would have the greatest chance to hold.
I was relieved when each cap, snapped ON with a resounding "Click"... ;)

Jerry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fcnrwy

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wasn't satisfied with the paint edge on the wheels, the black blead under the tape, not much but I could see it, so I used a vinyl pin strip to cover the transition.
Well, tying that together with your side pinstriping. Does WORK!
Is your XL badge painted as well. ?

Jerry

OP
OP
Fcnrwy

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know what the side badges are replicating, but I figured a cold air intake,so I did this to finish the look, the xl red is vinyl

20230608_164443.jpg
OK
You replaced or covered the "Grille" that was "molded in".
Ya, replicating some kind of intake, seems to be the craze right now.

One of the first things I purchased, was a set of touchup paint. Both, rattle can and a marker.
I read a process of "roughing up" the plastic surface for the paint/primer to stick.
And painted my XL with three coats of paint and two of clear..

Jerry
Sponsored