First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have an XLT on order which uses the flip key. I've seen people press the button on the fob to open the key. Does pressing the button a second time retract the key back into the key fob? Or do you have to manually close it? I'm guessing the latter.
Sponsored

Jimmy P

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Press the little silver button and the key springs open like a switchblade knife and the key locks into place. Push the button again and fold the key back into the fob and it locks itself in the fob. It's very second nature and natural.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Press the little silver button and the key springs open like a switchblade knife and the key locks into place. Push the button again and fold the key back into the fob and it locks itself in the fob. It's very second nature and natural.
Every time I read about the switchblade fob the following enters my brain..."He brought a key fob to a knife fight" 😆

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just keep thinking to myself, how long before the thing brakes in my pocket and then it won't stay shut. I'm thinking this because my keys are in my pocket 8+ hours a day. Seems like an odd design.

Sponsored

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just keep thinking to myself, how long before the thing brakes in my pocket and then it won't stay shut. I'm thinking this because my keys are in my pocket 8+ hours a day. Seems like an odd design.
Vw had used this style for a decade, you can look up issues with their keys if you like. All the keys my family has had of this style, we've never had a problem... My parents have owned 4-5 VWs each for 3-5 years, I had one, my brother had at least one, my dad carried his keys all day doing heavy construction, my brother the same, and I was in the army when I had mine (carried them my whole time except when I was deployed and in basic).

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had a car with this style key for 10 years and 0 issues. Nothing to worry about.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Vw had used this style for a decade, you can look up issues with their keys if you like. All the keys my family has had of this style, we've never had a problem... My parents have owned 4-5 VWs each for 3-5 years, I had one, my brother had at least one, my dad carried his keys all day doing heavy construction, my brother the same, and I was in the army when I had mine (carried them my whole time except when I was deployed and in basic).
Glad to hear it held up! I'm in the horticulture industry, so stuff in my pocket takes a lot of bumps along the the way. I can just see myself jabbing myself with the thing, but if it's strong enough not to get open in my pocket all the time that would be good news.

I have had a car with this style key for 10 years and 0 issues. Nothing to worry about.
Good to hear thanks.

Edit: Of course some quick Google search shows that Ford flip keys commonly fail and need to be replaced. Might even be common across the industry for these flip blade keys. The pin that flips the key it has a tendency to break. Hmm

Last edited:
OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A lot of those issues are not from keys being in the pocket, they're from excessive weight hanging on the key when it's in the ignition.

Sponsored

Solo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ford Escape, '24 Maverick XLT Hybrid (sched)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My friend has a Chevy with the switchblade key like the Maverick's. It's the buttons on the fob that'll fail quicker than anything. The spring assembly hasn't failed yet (after 13 years of use).

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well you will find yourself setting off the alarm when other stuff in your pocket happens to rub against the fob in the wrong manner. I know there's a Forscan setting I can set in my F-250 to require 2 alarm button presses to sound the alarm. I assume there's a similar setting for the Maverick. I'd really like a setting to just disable the remote alarm function entirely. I have seen online videos where you can remove the alarm button and basically glue the switch open and then replace the button.
Here's a thread about disabling the panic alarm:
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/disable-panic-alarm.21229/

Last edited:

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Shocking Ford Maverick Key Fob Video
Ford Maverick A question about the flip key 7md1bb

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just let it hang loose. Too much work pushing the button and folding it back in. Ain’t no body got time for that

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad to hear it held up! I'm in the horticulture industry, so stuff in my pocket takes a lot of bumps along the the way. I can just see myself jabbing myself with the thing, but if it's strong enough not to get open in my pocket all the time that would be good news.

Good to hear thanks.

Edit: Of course some quick Google search shows that Ford flip keys commonly fail and need to be replaced. Might even be common across the industry for these flip blade keys. The pin that flips the key it has a tendency to break. Hmm
Oh no. You are wrong in at least one point. The friggin button (on the F-150 version at least) is designed with a feature that means the key will open in your pocket almost every day if you move around much at all. About every day, I look at it and think WTF, Ford, WTF?

But, it makes a good impromptu fidget toy. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick. click. snick.
Sponsored