First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In about 4 years I plan to retire, hook the truck to the motorhome, put a motorcycle in the bed, and head out on extended explorations of back roads, trails, and off the beaten path attractions. I bought a 2019 Ranger to facilitate the plan but the truck weighs 4500lbs so I can take the truck but not a bike. I thought it was okay because it is an XLT FX4 so, fun too!

Enter the Maverick. At 3700lbs it is sufficiently under my 5000lb maximum hitch weight to allow me to carry a bike. The bed is too short to carry most bikes straight on the center line but today I computed the length available if I angle the bike with the front tire in the left front corner and the rear tire near the left rear corner of the tailgate. You see a lot of people carry their motorcycles this way in larger pickups so they can close the tailgates. So, some fun facts:
  • Using the distance from the front edge of the motorcycle tire to the contact patch of the rear tire which would be located on the tailgate, anything from a KLR650 to the new Pan America will fit.
  • The 1500lb payload facilitates a wide array of choices but the lighter the bike the better.
  • The Hybrid can be flat towed (with limitations).
  • At 3700 lbs, I have a window of 1300lbs before 5000 is breached. That gives plenty of room for gear.
  • For reference, if anyone cares, the 2021 KLX300 would fit straight in the bed so two would fit in the bed at the same time. Not much else would!
  • The tailgate loading would be 1/2 the motorcycle weight so pretty much anything would be under the 500lb tailgate limit. To be on the safe side flat steel tailgate straps should be used.
So, I am posting this in case anyone else was wondering about putting motorcycles in the bed!
Sponsored

Last edited:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Yamaha WR250X myself, but just an obvious reminder that anything you put in the bed is going to be exposed to the elements, loading and unloading a motorcycle into a bed can be a bit tedious and/or risky especially if doing it solo, and there's always risk that either you overtighten the straps and damage the front suspension or go too loose and the bike could fall on a big bounce.

Have you entertained the idea of going with an electric bicycle, aka an e-bike? If you went with a folder, you could probably fit it in the cab pretty easy completely folded or half-fold it and put it in the bed if you have a tonneau cover, take it out super fast and easy, get a little exercise, and are silent so can be ridden in places where motorcycles aren't allowed: https://electricbikereview.com/best-folding-electric-bikes/

Cruise around at 25mph with fat all-terrain tires with 30 miles or so to a charge.

Last edited:

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Yamaha WR250X myself, but just an obvious reminder that anything you put in the bed is going to be exposed to the elements, loading and unloading a motorcycle into a bed can be a bit tedious and/or risky especially if doing it solo, and there's always risk that either you overtighten the straps and damage the front suspension or go too loose and the bike could fall on a big bounce.

Have you entertained the idea of going with an electric bicycle, aka an e-bike? If you went with a folder, you could probably fit it in the cab pretty easy completely folded or half-fold it and put it in the bed if you have a tonneau cover, take it out super fast and easy, get a little exercise, and are silent so can be ridden in places where motorcycles aren't allowed: https://electricbikereview.com/best-folding-electric-bikes/

Cruise around at 25mph with fat all-terrain tires with 30 miles or so to a charge.
And if you want something more for off road trails, take a look at this:
https://arielrider.com/products/grizzly

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 2000 Frontier CC 4x4 that I hauled my '07 WR-250F around in routinely. The back tire rode on the tailgate and I used premium tie downs and a fork-saver. Never an issue, even bouncing down fireroads. The low height of the Mav's bed would make loading/unloading a cinch.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5500.4076.htm

I expect I'll be purchasing something like this to make it work best for me. Prolly need a smallish step of some kind too since I can't jump up in there pushing the bike like I did as a youngster with good knees and back :cool:

Sponsored

RedHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Imprezza WRX Hatchback
Sounds like a good plan. Of course if you kept the Ranger and bought a couple of e-bikes then you wouldn't have to buy a new vehicle. I have a Radrover and I plan to remove the front tire and strap it in the back. To each their own. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make!

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And if you want something more for off road trails, take a look at this:
https://arielrider.com/products/grizzly
Yup, we were looking at the grizzly too, the only issue is that moped style like that where the seats are a bit wide and non-height adjustable don't work as well for peddle-assist mode since you can't adjust it to get full extension on your legs. Of course you could always just stand up to peddle if you want more workout.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used premium tie downs and a fork-saver.
Oh nice, I had never heard of those before, that's clever. We're always nervous going long distances especially in the rain with a motorcycle in the bed concerned that if we had to do an emergency maneuver that it could slip. The fork saver probably lets you crank down a lot harder without messing anything up.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
In about 4 years I plan to retire, hook the truck to the motorhome, put a motorcycle in the bed, and head out on extended explorations of back roads, trails, and off the beaten path attractions. I bought a 2019 Ranger to facilitate the plan but the truck weighs 4500lbs so I can take the truck but not a bike. I thought it was okay because it is an XLT FX4 so, fun too!

Enter the Maverick. At 3700lbs it is sufficiently under my 5000lb maximum hitch weight to allow me to carry a bike. The bed is too short to carry most bikes straight on the center line but today I computed the length available if I angle the bike with the front tire in the left front corner and the rear tire near the left rear corner of the tailgate. You see a lot of people carry their motorcycles this way in larger pickups so they can close the tailgates. So, some fun facts:
  • Using the distance from the front edge of the motorcycle tire to the contact patch of the rear tire which would be located on the tailgate, anything from a KLR650 to the new Pan America will fit.
  • The 1500lb payload facilitates a wide array of choices but the lighter the bike the better.
  • The Hybrid can be flat towed (with limitations).
  • At 3700 lbs, I have a window of 1300lbs before 5000 is breached. That gives plenty of room for gear.
  • For reference, if anyone cares, the 2021 KLX300 would fit straight in the bed so two would fit in the bed at the same time. Not much else would!
  • The tailgate loading would be 1/2 the motorcycle weight so pretty much anything would be under the 500lb tailgate limit. To be on the safe side flat steel tailgate straps should be used.
So, I am posting this in case anyone else was wondering about putting motorcycles in the bed!
I don't have the same plans as you, so I don't know the exact answer to this, but you'll want to look into which Mavericks can be flat-towed and which cannot. I've seen it come up a couple of times in this forum.

NewcMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cruze
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll be using my Maverick primarily for motocross. Traveling across the states often. I've been doing so the last 3 years in a '05 Ranger and although it's been cheap, it's time for something nicer. With the bed size of the Maverick I'll definitely be getting a MotoJackRack. Seems perfect to me. I can keep the truck loaded the night before a race, then put on the hitch mount and bike and off I go. Maybe something you would be interested in. www.motojackrack.com.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dceggert

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To all, thanks for the replies! I did check and the Maverick Hybrid is flat towable. The 2.0L (FWD or AWD) is not so I changed my order to the Hybrid when I found that out. I like that MotoJackRack but it has me wondering what the class hitch is on the 2k towing level. Class III? If so it can hold 500 lbs. That would work pretty slick as the jack can hold up to 450. The 4k towing hitch is Class III and I bet it is the same hitch.

As for steps I already have this:
Amazon.com: Heininger 4048 HitchMate TruckStep for 2” Receivers with Anti-Wobble Device and Hitch Lock, 1 Pack: Automotive

If loading the bike biased to the passenger side so it can be angled to the LF corner of the bed, this step will be right on the Centerline where needed.

If the motorcycle stays home I can take the Ranger or the Maverick. The Ranger is staying in the family fleet anyway because it is capable of towing my boat. So, each trip will be a decision on which to tow. With the Ranger I can use it to explore back roads and go rock crawling in AC comfort. With the motorcycle in the back of either the Ranger or the Maverick I can explore Moab or ride up to Deadhorse and still have the truck for supply runs and tourist traps. An electric bike will not cut it with my plans but later when it becomes difficult for me it would be pretty nice.

I also like that bed extender that doubles as a loading ramp. How cool! I have never heard of the fork protector thingy. That is also a pretty nifty doodad!

The bed size is a challenge on the Maverick but the available payload makes for a bunch of opportunities.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I’ve been hauling bikes in the back of a truck for 40 years…and I’ve never experienced any of those problems. BTW, if it rains while I’m hauling my bike, I just consider that a pre wash.

Loading and unloading are quite easy if you use a bike stand as a step. I would think with the Maverick the step won’t be needed, making it even easier. I’ve checked and my dirt bikes and duel sports will fit in the Maverick.

Dr.Steve

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dr. Steve Bruhle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is my number one Concern with the Maverick is the bed size. I have a DRZ400 and KTM350 and would like to be able to haul both in the bed without a trailer or possibly one in the bed with two in a trailer. Would need to be able to mostly close the bed to do that.
As of payload and tow rating this should be fine.

I have two plans, one is I think you can fit two bikes in the bed, if you turn the wheels into the corners and tie down tat way. Or turn the wheels into each other. If not, I was thinking about fabricating a small bed extension tat slides into the receiver hitch and sits onto of the tailgate and adds about 12 inches.

I have a AWD Lariet on order with the 4K tow package.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh nice, I had never heard of those before, that's clever. We're always nervous going long distances especially in the rain with a motorcycle in the bed concerned that if we had to do an emergency maneuver that it could slip. The fork saver probably lets you crank down a lot harder without messing anything up.
Right, the fork saver limits the fork compression and lets you tighten them down firmly.

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations Fork Saver

If you're really going to bounce the truck around, another strap across the back tire will keep it from jumping up, but I rarely did that as it didn't seem necessary even on rough fire roads.

NewcMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cruze
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too have been hauling bikes, but for 15 years. Also never had those problems. I ride motocross once to twice a week.
Sponsored