First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cruze
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To all, thanks for the replies! I did check and the Maverick Hybrid is flat towable. The 2.0L (FWD or AWD) is not so I changed my order to the Hybrid when I found that out. I like that MotoJackRack but it has me wondering what the class hitch is on the 2k towing level. Class III? If so it can hold 500 lbs. That would work pretty slick as the jack can hold up to 450. The 4k towing hitch is Class III and I bet it is the same hitch.

As for steps I already have this:
Amazon.com: Heininger 4048 HitchMate TruckStep for 2” Receivers with Anti-Wobble Device and Hitch Lock, 1 Pack: Automotive

If loading the bike biased to the passenger side so it can be angled to the LF corner of the bed, this step will be right on the Centerline where needed.

If the motorcycle stays home I can take the Ranger or the Maverick. The Ranger is staying in the family fleet anyway because it is capable of towing my boat. So, each trip will be a decision on which to tow. With the Ranger I can use it to explore back roads and go rock crawling in AC comfort. With the motorcycle in the back of either the Ranger or the Maverick I can explore Moab or ride up to Deadhorse and still have the truck for supply runs and tourist traps. An electric bike will not cut it with my plans but later when it becomes difficult for me it would be pretty nice.

I also like that bed extender that doubles as a loading ramp. How cool! I have never heard of the fork protector thingy. That is also a pretty nifty doodad!

The bed size is a challenge on the Maverick but the available payload makes for a bunch of opportunities.
I would assume it's a class III (since I'm getting the Hybrid, I'm assuming hard-core lol). The MotoJack rack looks like the best alternative than putting it in the bed. I use my dirtbike lift-stand to step into my Ranger bed now without issues. I think the Maverick would be the same, but I don't want to mess with the ramp/straps anymore. MotoJack rack has the 2 pins and the jack. That's it. Sorry I've sold myself on it countless times so I'm reallllly excited for the Maverick and this moto hauler lol
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In about 4 years I plan to retire, hook the truck to the motorhome, put a motorcycle in the bed, and head out on extended explorations of back roads, trails, and off the beaten path attractions. I bought a 2019 Ranger to facilitate the plan but the truck weighs 4500lbs so I can take the truck but not a bike. I thought it was okay because it is an XLT FX4 so, fun too!

Enter the Maverick. At 3700lbs it is sufficiently under my 5000lb maximum hitch weight to allow me to carry a bike. The bed is too short to carry most bikes straight on the center line but today I computed the length available if I angle the bike with the front tire in the left front corner and the rear tire near the left rear corner of the tailgate. You see a lot of people carry their motorcycles this way in larger pickups so they can close the tailgates. So, some fun facts:
  • Using the distance from the front edge of the motorcycle tire to the contact patch of the rear tire which would be located on the tailgate, anything from a KLR650 to the new Pan America will fit.
  • The 1500lb payload facilitates a wide array of choices but the lighter the bike the better.
  • The Hybrid can be flat towed (with limitations).
  • At 3700 lbs, I have a window of 1300lbs before 5000 is breached. That gives plenty of room for gear.
  • For reference, if anyone cares, the 2021 KLX300 would fit straight in the bed so two would fit in the bed at the same time. Not much else would!
  • The tailgate loading would be 1/2 the motorcycle weight so pretty much anything would be under the 500lb tailgate limit. To be on the safe side flat steel tailgate straps should be used.
So, I am posting this in case anyone else was wondering about putting motorcycles in the bed!
In same boat (motorcycle). 20 yrs ago I could do it but loading and unloading a cycle into a pickup bed is hard and dangerous. There are some great comedy/tragic U-Tube videos out there.

I bought a used Kendon Trailer last year, $580. 320lb trailer that can haul a 1,000 lb load/bike. Folds up and stands up to take 5 sq feet in the end of my garage. Ride on 6” rail, pulling behind a 150 horse power vehicle you barely feel it behind you, Maverick will be even easier. A dirt bike would be easier in a Maverick but still hard, especially by one’s self.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doesn't address the OP's question, but...

I won't tow my Maverick. But I do have a long motorcycle; BMW K1300S. it has a 62" wheelbase. Not gonna fit in the bed.
But 2k towing capacity is fine for a light moto trailer and the bike. Just going to the track now and again to get my YaYa's.

But I'm looking to retire in 5 years myself. And while I've always sneered at the guys towing their bikes, I might want to kill the highway miles to get to a new touring area. Maybe I'll be "that guy."

Dr.Steve

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dr. Steve Bruhle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Newest video recently posted measures total length of bed with tailgate down is ~79”. Anything with a wheel base under 60” should fit straight in. Now I wonder if I can fit two.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Newest video recently posted measures total length of bed with tailgate down is ~79”. Anything with a wheel base under 60” should fit straight in. Now I wonder if I can fit two.
It is
  • Bed Length: 54 inches with tailgate up | 72 inches with tailgate down

Sponsored

Dr.Steve

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dr. Steve Bruhle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
go to the measurement section of this video. Measured at 79”. I was shocked. I hope the video is right but I could see this being wrong

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
go to the measurement section of this video. Measured at 79”. I was shocked. I hope the video is right but I could see this being wrong

I have watched the video, I like his effort, but he is a bit sloppy. When Ford publishes the measurements I listed, I am more likely to trust their published numbers they say 4.5 ft closed. That is 54 inches. Add to that a 20 inch side wall and you get 74 inches there is some loss, because of the hinge so 72 is believable, 79, not so much do

Last edited:

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have watched the video, I like his effort, but he is a bit sloppy. When Ford publishes the measurements I listed, I am more likely to trust their published numbers they say 4.5 ft closed. That is 54 inches. Add to that a 20 inch side wall and you get 74 inches there is some loss, because of the hinge so 72 is believable, 79, not so much do
You may be correct but on my Ranger the hinges on the bottom actually extended the length of the bed at least 3 inches. Interior of bed is 4 feet & 5 inches, not 5/10ths., so =53 inches. In the picture you can see the 3" or 4" hinge gap of black liner below the hinge. Plus width of the tail gate looks like 3 inches, overlap has to be added when down, not subtracted. But when the tail gate is closed the black liner on the tail gate is level with the bed's black liner. Hard to believe the length of the bed is such a mystery to get the answer....I know a dozen motorcycle riders waiting for the answer to the bed length, most motorcycles will be looking for a minimum of 72-76"'s. The video sort of looks correct at 79 inches.

Last edited:

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may be correct but on my Ranger the hinges on the bottom actually extend the length of the bed at least 3 inches. In the picture you can see the 3 or 4 " gap of black liner below the hinge. But when the tail gate is closed the black liner on the tail gate is level with the bed's black liner. Hard to believe the length of the bed is such a mystery to get the answer....I know a dozen motorcycle riders waiting for the answer to the bed length.
Except I am quoting Ford, so either Ford is wrong about their vehicle, or a guy displaying sloppy measuring skills is wrong. I am going to trust Ford. Btw Nothing stops you from getting an aluminum U channel and using the flex bed system to secure it in the bed. If you stick out 6 inches, maybe you use it to double as your loading ramp and when not in use it is light enough to pull out, when in use it’s locked into the fringe on the bed. When loading/unloading clip a 3rd piece on for the ramp. Win all around.

SlippyMav

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus ES350
Sponsored

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Here is my KTM 690R in my former 1st gen Ridgeline. The KTM has a wheelbase of approx. 60." The Ridgeline supposedly had 79" tailgate down. I think the rear tire is on the tailgate at about 70." This looks like it would fit straight-on in the Maverick if it has at least 72." YMMV!

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations IMG3379476816858131638

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is a great tutorial on loading/unloading bikes in a pickup:
that's great if you have good knees and a running bike - with electric start even! When I loaded/unloaded starting back in the early 1970's it was no issue at all. We used milk crates for the step (or a tool box, stump, etc.) and just put the bike in neutral and got a running start and hopped up in there.

Now I'm 63, have 1 replaced knee and the other needing replacement in a couple years. I can't make the step up from the crate into the bed even without a motorcycle. Also many of the bikes I haul don't even run so starting the bike and loading under power is not an option. I was using a trifold ramp but even that is too dangerous now (especially unloading backwards) because if I slip between the rungs when I step my knee will likely break and I'm screwed possibly for life with a peg leg patched up with plates and screws. The Maverick is much lower at tailgate and opens up options not requiring the crate as a step. Enjoy your young knees while you can!

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is my KTM 690R in my former 1st gen Ridgeline. The KTM has a wheelbase of approx. 60." The Ridgeline supposedly had 79" tailgate down. I think the rear tire is on the tailgate at about 70." This looks like it would fit straight-on in the Maverick if it has at least 72." YMMV!

IMG3379476816858131638.jpg
72 is the ford published spec. Anything outside of that is postulation.

i still think, and still no one has asked, that an aluminum channel would support the bikes quite well, and allow for firm but removable mounting in the bed. Put a clip in one end of a 2nd piece to tie into a slot / operate as an open hinge and I think it is near ideal. I only ride of 4 wheels these days (wheel chair) but I used to be a daily rider and did my share of iron butts, so I am not inexperienced. Use a 2x4 if you need to lock in more than 1 bike and to keep the channels separated, and I would probably aim fir about an inch of suspension compression to keep rebound non existent.

i’d probably go with 61c08 al channel which is going to make each one only about 24lbs and that is more than manageable for anyone moving a bike anyway.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
72 is the ford published spec. Anything outside of that is postulation.

i still think, and still no one has asked, that an aluminum channel would support the bikes quite well, and allow for firm but removable mounting in the bed. Put a clip in one end of a 2nd piece to tie into a slot / operate as an open hinge and I think it is near ideal. I only ride of 4 wheels these days (wheel chair) but I used to be a daily rider and did my share of iron butts, so I am not inexperienced. Use a 2x4 if you need to lock in more than 1 bike and to keep the channels separated, and I would probably aim fir about an inch of suspension compression to keep rebound non existent.

i’d probably go with 61c08 al channel which is going to make each one only about 24lbs and that is more than manageable for anyone moving a bike anyway.

And if push comes to shove, you can always deflate the front tire to get a couple of more inches pushed up against the front of the bed.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And if push comes to shove, you can always deflate the front tire to get a couple of more inches pushed up against the front of the bed.
True, dont like the idea of deflating tires as i find it causes sidewall wear and I had a sidewall blowout (low speed fortunately) and it is one of only 3 times I ever laid a bike down. It was however into the side of a bently in the parking lot of the signature club athletics building in Dallas a few decades ago.

other side note. Always wanted a ducati st4 or a monster, never owned one, but dng they looked and sounded great
Sponsored