8-Speed Transmission: Can it be downshifted manually?

KRae

XL
First Name
Kareena
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki SX4
Trim
XL
Agree that it would be nice to be able to manually control which gear you're in. However, check out page 227 of the Mav Owners Manual (you can find them online). The Drive Modes add different types of help by shifting the gears the way you would shift if you had manual control. For example, the Tow/Haul mode downshifts the transmission based on how hard you press the brake! I've never heard of that before, but that's just me. Maybe it's become common. After driving it, maybe I won't feel the need to manually shift the gears.

Drive Modes.JPG
I am used to driving a stick in the snow. I am really hoping that slippery mode shifts like how I would in the snow and ice.

clippedwings

Lariat
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Trim
Lariat
Once in a while a rude reminder that you are actually buying an economy vehicle, regardless of the trim, pops up and slaps you in the face with a wake-up call. If I take a ride in my wife’s BMW just the display on the head unit alone reminds me of how far from “fancy” my Maverick will be.

Redwun

XLT
First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost
Trim
XLT
Thanks, now you're jogging my memory. I'm getting tow so I'll have haul. FX4 has the hill descent. I ain't getting that.
So I have to guess the Haul doesn't downshift down grades. Oh well.
[/QUOT
I am fairly certain that the tow/haul will engine brake. My last 3 Ford trucks did!

Advertisement

Advertisement