First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Know that when the car manufacturing poobahs first decided to place a fuel pump inside the gas tank there was more than a slight chance of the pump seizing up from overheating if the tank often dropped below a quarter full.

Presumably that is no longer so?
Yes, and no. Most fuel tanks read empty when they have 1-3 gallons in reserve. This is enough for the fuel pump to avoid getting damaged or stressed. There have also been advancements in fuel pumps and filters. 1/4th a tank has been overkill since inception but even more so now. Nothing wrong with overkill but 1/8th of a tank is the new 1/4th.

The 1/4th rule was also created to avoid sediment getting in the fuel pump in the bottom of gas tanks. Sediment primarily caused from the metal tank rusting. Tanks are plastic now so rust is no longer a concern.

There can be sediment in the underground tanks at the gas station. If you notice the gas is pumping super slow the gas stations tanks are likely low and you might get some sediment. Similarly if a tanker is filling up the underground tanks you shouldn’t get fuel. All the sediment at the bottom is stirred up.

Last edited:

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So here we are, five miles from officially getting 600 miles per tank on the hybrid with a little left in the tank…. Anyone else approaching 600 miles per tank? ( yes I realize driving style and conditions vary, but hey…it’s still great mileage)

595AB4D0-DC22-4AFF-9CAA-EDDBD6D68215.jpeg

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So here we are, five miles from officially getting 600 miles per tank on the hybrid with a little left in the tank…. Anyone else approaching 600 miles per tank? ( yes I realize driving style and conditions vary, but hey…it’s still great mileage)

Thats awesome mileage. Cant wait to get mine. Im curious to how many gallons you will put in at the pump. Just wondering how accurate the readout really is?? And getting that kind of mileage at 45 degrees is impressive.

Stupak

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Love seeing that. I have an XLT FX4 and am very disappointed with my city mileage. Hwy is okay at about 30 mpg, but the city driving struggles to get to 20 mpg at best. Their ratings are way off on this, according to my real-world experience. I need four-wheel-drive here in Baja, so I plan to order a hybrid all-wheel as soon as they make them! Glad you are doing so well!

Sponsored

Old Fart

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT; 2016 Prius ECO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Praying mine arrives in late February but no word from Furd, rhymes with...are all debutes fraught with such suspense? It's the first time in 52 years of owning vehicles I've ordered a first model, usually get old beaters but I'm tired of driving a "Wrench and Ride" jalopy.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love seeing that. I have an XLT FX4 and am very disappointed with my city mileage. Hwy is okay at about 30 mpg, but the city driving struggles to get to 20 mpg at best. Their ratings are way off on this, according to my real-world experience. I need four-wheel-drive here in Baja, so I plan to order a hybrid all-wheel as soon as they make them! Glad you are doing so well!
Unfortunately what the EPA defines as city is a very strict and narrow definition. Although they have made adjustments over the years to their process, it is still not necessarily representative of what many would consider true city driving - sounds like you're in that category.

For city in particular, that number is arrived at using a cold start, but...it is a 30 minute drive, 11 miles with an average speed of about 21mph. What this means is that even though the engine starts cold, most engines are considered warmed up in 8-10 minutes (as the linked test graph details as well). So the 'city' drive might be stop-and-go, but it is not a short trip. If your trips are all 3-5 miles, multiple stops, and the weather where you are is also colder, you're going to see values under the low 22mpg/city rating.

My current tank is at 23mpg (dash reading, probably 22 calculated) - this is the worst by about 3mpg for me, due to winter gas blend, cold weather and primarily shorter trips this tank.

FWIW here is the defined testing details for the EPA ratings:

EPA Detailed Test Info

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry 36 gal tank get 17.5 - 18.2 mpg sometime more = 600 mile per tank and a little more. Don't care about mpg. 5500 lbs baby just roll over the little cars....lol
That attitude is why our highways are unsafe.

slooose42

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra 5.7 4wheel drive
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry 36 gal tank get 17.5 - 18.2 mpg sometime more = 600 mile per tank and a little more. Don't care about mpg. 5500 lbs baby just roll over the little cars....lol
Real rough estimate...$4.50 gal ...$169 compared to $60......
a no brainer

Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That attitude is why our highways are unsafe.
LOL take a chill pill:)

Was just talking about the same kinda thing with some folks. Sense of humor is offensive to numerous people. When I was was young lad we told jokes about everything that is verboten now. I'm polish and my friends were brutal. I gave it right back. We are still friends.

The reality is driving 5 mph under the speed limit in the left lane and not moving over is what makes our highways unsafe. :)

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The reality is driving 5 mph under the speed limit in the left lane and not moving over is what makes our highways unsafe. :)
Don't forget also making sure that you're 5mph below the speed limit in the left lane pacing a car directly beside you in the right lane. It is an every day thing here in GA. This really needs serious enforcement by traffic police.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't forget also making sure that you're 5mph below the speed limit in the left lane pacing a car directly beside you in the right lane. It is an every day thing here in GA. This really needs serious enforcement by traffic police.
Agree 100%

Driver of slow car looking at MPG. look look I'm getting 56.2 mpg...

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You've been to Minnesota I see! :D

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL take a chill pill:)

Was just talking about the same kinda thing with some folks. Sense of humor is offensive to numerous people. When I was was young lad we told jokes about everything that is verboten now. I'm polish and my friends were brutal. I gave it right back. We are still friends.

I don't do that. Unsafe driving is becoming a major pet peeve to me. People have just become stupid on the roads.
Sponsored