Sponsored

6 days of ownership and I get rear ended.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've noticed a definite decline in driving ability where I live over the last few years. People are doing some crazy sh*t lately. I watched 3 cars in a row pass a truck over double yellow blind turns and blow through stop signs while doing it. I've also started to see more and more "red light" is optional behavior. Not a "yellow turned to red" situation, more like people are now straight up just going from a dead stop when the light is red and weaving through traffic. I see it at least a few times a week. Feels like the slow decay of civilized society haha.
I place the blame 100% on driver aids. The harder a vehicle is to drive without crapping your pants, the better you are gonna drive. My DD has a wonky transmission, a floppy tilt column, dim 80s lights, no gauges except oil pressure, mirrors covered in welding spatter marks, and no climate control. It makes me a better driver, it makes me listen to everything it is doing. I make tight precise manuevers all over the farm with tourists everywhere all day long in it. I also watch the drivers we get, everytime there is someone struggling to do a simple manuever they are watching the camera and are completely lost.
Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When your truck looks like this, let me know. :(

Ford Maverick 6 days of ownership and I get rear ended. mav4

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Six days of ownership and you got rear-ended? A major bummer.

After taking possession of my Maverick, I felt like everyone was AIMING for me with their car and experienced all kinds of cereal box licensed driving. I've used my horn more in the Maverick than any car I've owned.

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep Cherokee and 2006 F-150 2022 Maverick EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well....Okay, night version now...day video tomorrow.

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick (VB), 1986 Lincoln Mark 7
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've noticed a definite decline in driving ability where I live over the last few years. People are doing some crazy sh*t lately. I watched 3 cars in a row pass a truck over double yellow blind turns and blow through stop signs while doing it. I've also started to see more and more "red light" is optional behavior. Not a "yellow turned to red" situation, more like people are now straight up just going from a dead stop when the light is red and weaving through traffic. I see it at least a few times a week. Feels like the slow decay of civilized society haha.
Dude I know right ! last night I took my mav out for a coffee run (it was late and I needed coffee for the morning LOL ) anyways its like 11pm on a monday and I see this guy tailgating me I am doing about 5 over he finally passes me (lane was open the whole time) anyways he pulls up next to me on a red light he has apple car play on and he is still on his phone. the crazy thing is once the green arrow turned for a left he went stright and almost whiped out on a semi truck ! I think these people are still used to no one being on the road during the covid times. but yes society has went to shit imo lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
RRaynor2

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Alkaiser702

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dude I know right ! last night I took my mav out for a coffee run (it was late and I needed coffee for the morning LOL ) anyways its like 11pm on a monday and I see this guy tailgating me I am doing about 5 over he finally passes me (lane was open the whole time) anyways he pulls up next to me on a red light he has apple car play on and he is still on his phone. the crazy thing is once the green arrow turned for a left he went stright and almost whiped out on a semi truck ! I think these people are still used to no one being on the road during the covid times. but yes society has went to shit imo lol
In relation to the first part of this, I absolutely hate that people now seem to think that sharing a lane is okay. They rush to close the gap between their vehicle and yours, then cut over at the last possible second, nearly grazing your bumper in the process. At times I've considered scooting over just enough in my lane to have our bumpers kiss, just to fuck with their insurance premiums when I go after them for a claim.
Phone use is definitely abhorrent and far too common, I see people still holding their phones to their head while driving late model cars that I'm damn sure have bluetooth capability at minimum. Seriously, nothing on a phone is so important that it can't wait a few more minutes until you get to your destination. At worst, pull the hell over, finish your text, then continue on to your destination.

Sorry for the rant, drivers piss me off these days.

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In relation to the first part of this, I absolutely hate that people now seem to think that sharing a lane is okay. They rush to close the gap between their vehicle and yours, then cut over at the last possible second, nearly grazing your bumper in the process. At times I've considered scooting over just enough in my lane to have our bumpers kiss, just to fuck with their insurance premiums when I go after them for a claim.
Phone use is definitely abhorrent and far too common, I see people still holding their phones to their head while driving late model cars that I'm damn sure have bluetooth capability at minimum. Seriously, nothing on a phone is so important that it can't wait a few more minutes until you get to your destination. At worst, pull the hell over, finish your text, then continue on to your destination.

Sorry for the rant, drivers piss me off these days.
Some times when drivers tailgate and try and close the gaps like that, I wish I was in my old 94 bronco and I might forget to brake to teach them a lesson. I just get scared to drive the mav anywhere lol

flyking1

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What's up with all these Mav's getting rear ended? Seems like every other day somebody reports getting hit.
Are these trucks so small people have a problem seeing them? Brake lights not easily visible? I'm starting to get paranoid. Maybe I'll put a big flag on the rear of mine. (when / if it comes)
My spouse drove our mav home from the shop yesterday after bedliner installation, and I followed in our Hyundai. There's no problem seeing the mav or the brake lights. I think the original poster's "hit lady" just wasn't paying attention.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My spouse drove our mav home from the shop yesterday after bedliner installation, and I followed in our Hyundai. There's no problem seeing the mav or the brake lights. I think the original poster's "hit lady" just wasn't paying attention.
Yep, I realized I was following a Maverick last night, and with this thread in mind both my wife and I paid attention to the visibility of the Maverick. Stop & go traffic for awhile so plenty of opportunity to observe. And I agree, brakes lights are bright, visibility is good and the upper brake light is positioned right in your face. No reason to not see a Maverick stop unless you are looking at your phone instead of the road.

Do they have rear dash cams? Would love to show the cops that video. Well actually no, I hope I never need to show the cops anything I don't need to be rear ended.

Maybe we can hook a rear pointed horn to the brake lights. Hit the brakes and the horn sounds to alert the driver behind you that is on their phone......................

Sponsored

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
See I am seeing A TON or rear ending stuff lately, Look for a post as I am upgrading my XLs rear lights all to LEDs hoping it would make me more visible at night ! I even found a flashing third brake light ! I will make another thread and link back here when amazon comes hopefully tomarrow or Sunday LOL

Deleted member 14823

OK now I'm interested in one of these:
https://sparebumper.com/superbumper...orbing-receiver-hitch-step-sp424-sparebumper/

I wonder if it could have prevented the damage to my bumper and trailer hookup. No idea how the unibody would hold up. Superbumper claims a reducing in energy transferred to the body/frame, and the rubber shock absorbers would theoretically do that....
If I'm understanding what everyone is saying (and showing), the weak point is where the hitch is attached and the fact that what's behind it is designed to collapse on impact. I don't see how this extra bumper changes any of that, unless it's very very slow impact.

Last edited by a moderator:

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
See I am seeing A TON or rear ending stuff lately, Look for a post as I am upgrading my XLs rear lights all to LEDs hoping it would make me more visible at night ! I even found a flashing third brake light ! I will make another thread and link back here when amazon comes hopefully tomarrow or Sunday LOL
I hate those damn blinking brake lights. Sitting in your face flashing for 30 minutes in traffic. If you're not looking at the road you won't see them, and if you are then you will see a truck stopping in front of you. On a motorcycle they make sense since it is so easy to miss the brake light. Not on a car or truck

If I'm understanding what everyone is saying (and showing), the weak point is where the hitch is attached and the fact that what's behind it is designed to collapse on impact. I don't see how this extra bumper changes any of that, unless it's very very slow impact.
I would imagine it could make it worse. Instead of disbursing the impact through the bumper, it is now concentrating it on the hitch and frame. Part of the reason I don't leave the hitch on my (unibody) SUV all the time. Don't want a single point to bare the main brunt of a collision.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK now I'm interested in one of these:
https://sparebumper.com/superbumper...orbing-receiver-hitch-step-sp424-sparebumper/

I wonder if it could have prevented the damage to my bumper and trailer hookup. No idea how the unibody would hold up. Superbumper claims a reducing in energy transferred to the body/frame, and the rubber shock absorbers would theoretically do that....
Interesting. I do think it would be more effective on a full frame pickup than on the Maverick. Once the excess energy gets transferring to the unibody it will be game over. To a certain degree a solid box frame is going to push back. 😃 One thing for sure, either scenario the hitter is going to take more of a beating than the hittee. LOL.

OP
OP
RRaynor2

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's what I think it's for. My rear-end collision was pretty low speed and most likely (unconfirmed) didn't collapse any of the crumple zone. What it did do was damage the plastic bumper, which will probably need to be replaced at a considerable cost. It also bent the bracket holding the trailer hook up connectors, which may have been protected by the spare bumper.

The "Sparebumper" claims (and arguably shows) that some of the impact energy is dissipated by the rubber shock absorbers. That energy would not be transferred into the receiver like a normal hitch would. Less energy into the receiver would always be a good thing, from a damage and an injury perspective.

The big problem is bumpers aren't bumpers anymore, and they are expensive.
Sponsored