Sponsored

6 days of ownership and I get rear ended.

OP
OP
RRaynor2

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What's up with all these Mav's getting rear ended? Seems like every other day somebody reports getting hit.
Are these trucks so small people have a problem seeing them? Brake lights not easily visible? I'm starting to get paranoid. Maybe I'll put a big flag on the rear of mine. (when / if it comes)
I've been told the brakelights are nice and bright. I had my brakes on too, didn't help when she was looking down.
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been told the brakelights are nice and bright. I had my brakes on too, didn't help when she was looking down.
If simply making lights brighter were all it took to keep people from crashing into vehicles, there wouldn't be so many crashes into police cars. After all, they've switched to extremely bright, rapidly flashing LED strobe lights that are visible for miles around. Yet, drunks and otherwise impaired or distracted drivers continue to crash into them...

It does not matter how bright the lights are if you aren't looking for them, or if you're not mentally present enough to understand that they are obstacles you need to avoid.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My first purchase for my Mav as a "just in case" or a crossed fingers that it would take some/most of the damage before getting to the plastic bumper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08316ZBKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Always wondered about these. Seems it would put the point of impact in a very concentrated area. May cause more damage to the structure. Maybe if it had a real stiff spring it would work. Like the bumpers on the cars from the 70's.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If simply making lights brighter were all it took to keep people from crashing into vehicles, there wouldn't be so many crashes into police cars. After all, they've switched to extremely bright, rapidly flashing LED strobe lights that are visible for miles around. Yet, drunks and otherwise impaired or distracted drivers continue to crash into them...

It does not matter how bright the lights are if you aren't looking for them, or if you're not mentally present enough to understand that they are obstacles you need to avoid.
I think people get distracted by the cop cars. Almost like a moth to a flame. But I do like the dlr's. Makes oncoming cars easier to see.

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hopefully not too bad.
My wife got hit by someone running a red light last week and it totaled our '18 Escape. There's little to no hope it could be fixed as the entire structure has a slight bend, yet it didn't look that bad on first impressions. The guy who hit her got ticketed but that doesn't fix our car or pay for a new one.
What sucks is that I put 4 new "good" tires on mid-winter, rear brakes, and it has a full tank of gas too. Getting another one in a comparable condition now costs up to 6k more than we paid for it almost 2 years ago.

I hope you make out much better.

Sponsored

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
- drivers more distracted by being on their cell phones instead of uh, driving......
- result is more accidents, primarily rear enders
- solution: add additional safety features to the vehicles to let the vehicle stop itself when the idiot distracted driver is on their phone
- result: increased cost of vehicle, drivers get even more distracted because hey, "the car will stop itself if I'm not paying attention"
- solution: add even more safety features to let the vehicle drive itself so the idiot distracted drivers can play video games instead of uh, driving......

I'm not sure where this going except it being more and more dangerous out there.

I followed somebody last week, head was down and they were literally swerving all over the road. Gave them a loud honk and they instantly started looking up and driving straight. Maybe they were falling asleep, and I saved their life. But I'm betting they were using their phone to text instead of driving.

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is why I keep the hitch on the truck at all times.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, after 10 months of waiting and 6 days of ownership, I get rear ended at a stop sign. My beautiful Alto Blue Lariat.....

Very minor, but the bumper got a nice little hole, the trailer plugs are caved in, and the hitch receiver took the brunt. I'm worried about the receiver being hit and what that could have done underneath. I have the 4K tow but I don't know what that does to the design of the receiver. My fingers are crossed.

I've never screamed F*ck so loud in my life right after being hit, haha.

20221108_182642.jpg
Three days of ownership and I almost got rear ended while inside NAPA. I parked up front and a guy in an old F150 XLT came piling into the parking lot. He turned in front of somebody to get into NAPA and was going way to fast. Had he not turned the wheel, he would have creamed my new Maverick. I watched all this from inside the store.

As it was, he landed with about two feet between us. I had to cram myself in without banging my door into his POS.

When the guy came inside, he was 'hinky' and seemed a bit strung out. The NAPA owner was shaking his head.

OP
OP
RRaynor2

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is why I keep the hitch on the truck at all times.
I've seen some discussion around the hitch being better/worse in a rear-ender. Seems like all the energy would transfer right into the receiver and then unibody in turn. To your point though, maybe in a low speed collision the hitch would help keep the offending car "off" the back bumper. The other car's bumper got a decent chunk of damage from the receiver, but still contacted the bumper and trailer connectors. Maybe in the future I'll put the hitch on.
Now I wonder if they make a damping hitch to absorb some of a rear impact.

*Update* interesting read on tow hitches and accidents.
https://pattersonpersonalinjury.com/auto-accidents/trailers-trailer-hitches-impact-accidents/

Last edited:

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've noticed a definite decline in driving ability where I live over the last few years. People are doing some crazy sh*t lately. I watched 3 cars in a row pass a truck over double yellow blind turns and blow through stop signs while doing it. I've also started to see more and more "red light" is optional behavior. Not a "yellow turned to red" situation, more like people are now straight up just going from a dead stop when the light is red and weaving through traffic. I see it at least a few times a week. Feels like the slow decay of civilized society haha.
I live in a rural area too, the 8.5 miles of the 10 mile drive are through the desert, the rest through city. People are just terrible and I’ve had more close calls and recently crashed literally a 1,000 feet from work. Whole bumper was ripped off, grill and fender are damaged. At least nobody was hurt

Sponsored

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep Cherokee and 2006 F-150 2022 Maverick EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, after 10 months of waiting and 6 days of ownership, I get rear ended at a stop sign. My beautiful Alto Blue Lariat.....

Very minor, but the bumper got a nice little hole, the trailer plugs are caved in, and the hitch receiver took the brunt. I'm worried about the receiver being hit and what that could have done underneath. I have the 4K tow but I don't know what that does to the design of the receiver. My fingers are crossed.

I've never screamed F*ck so loud in my life right after being hit, haha.

20221108_182642.jpg
My 2 cents worth. After reading several of these rear end posts I got one of these per some one else's posts. Will it help? Don't know. Is it legal, don't care. Mennonites have way more blinky things on their buggies around here

Ford Maverick 6 days of ownership and I get rear ended. Screenshot_20221109-183621

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That sucks to wait all this time and take such pride in your vehicle just to have some reckless a***** come in and ruin the fun. A couple of years ago I had picked up a new Tacoma and dropped it off to get the paint protection plan applied. The next day I went and parked on an end spot at my old job and a utility truck cut the corner and clipped the whole front fascia. This was just two weeks after taking delivery. It ripped the bumper cover off, kinked the hood, knocked the driver's headlight out of alignment, and transferred white paint all over the grille. A month later I had to have the whole front fascia replaced except for the lower air dam and passenger headlight as they were salvageable.

And just recently on my Maverick (three weeks ago) I had parked at Walmart and a GMC Sierra Denali with a trailer hitch/tow ball backed into their spot in front of me and put a nice new ding on my front bumper. Nowhere near as severe as the Tacoma but still aggravating enough to ruin the rest of the afternoon. Fortunately the front bumper is plastic so the paintless dent guy said that the heat will warp the ding back into shape overtime. And I'm already starting to see results. Hopefully this doesn't happen again but it could've been a lot worse. I also hope that yours is fixable and not totaled. With parts constraints and labor shortages it will probably put a strain on repairing it immediately. I wish you the best.

Last edited:

WatchYourSix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2 cents worth. After reading several of these rear end posts I got one of these per some one else's posts. Will it help? Don't know. Is it legal, don't care. Mennonites have way more blinky things on their buggies around here
Amazon says this doesn't fit the Maverick. Can you confirm you installed it and it works?

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Amazon says this doesn't fit the Maverick. Can you confirm you installed it and it works?
Yeah I know, made me hesitate to purchase it as well. Meant to cover that in the post, but alas age. I put the other in my wife's 2006 F-150, works on it too. Anyway I will post a video tomorrow when it gets light enough. I got your 6. 😉

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah I know, made me hesitate to purchase it as well. Meant to cover that in the post, but alas age. I put the other in my wife's 2006 F-150, works on it too. Anyway I will post a video tomorrow when it gets light enough. I got your 6. 😉
Well....Okay, night version now...day video tomorrow.

Sponsored