First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I pulse and glide my F-150( V-6 3.3l na) on rural roads and uncongested city driving the MPG's go up 2 to 3. I learned pulse and glide during the days of $4+ gas here in the midwest in 2006-2008. Every trip I make in town involves a long duration fairly steep hill at 35 mph that I "DWL" then the long downhill is about 1/2 mile with no throttle. This occurs 2 times in the first 3 miles of my usual route in town.
I'm not doubting any of that. I'm just saying, when I measure the amount of gas used divided by trip meter over time compared to what computer says, there is a discrepancy. My car computer says 32-36 when actually, measured the old fashioned way, I get between 28-32.

petengineer75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick; Ford Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Without the hybrid you'll be lucky to even get 30 on the hwy. I average 35 + in the city alone in my 100% petrol Honda. I do run premium but only to get the range, under a 11 gallon tank I'm cruising over 424 miles.

Sadly the Honda is a dog, but what utility. With the blessings (of you know who) I'm looking towards the Maverick in 2025. Hybrid of course, it would be my last vehicle. I'm building a camper and hitting the road, hope to die somewhere quiet alone and not in a old folks home being abused, humiliated and robbed by low-lives at minimum wage.
a little concerned at the number of thumbs up and which part they are thumbing up. Guess I won’t be opening any foul smelling campers when I camp in the future.😵💫

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not doubting any of that. I'm just saying, when I measure the amount of gas used divided by trip meter over time compared to what computer says, there is a discrepancy. My car computer says 32-36 when actually, measured the old fashioned way, I get between 28-32.
Agreed. Never go by what the computer tells you. You need to manually calculate it at fill up.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This dies not work either.....one pump could be more sensitive than another on the auto stop. The most accurate is using the last 500 miles.

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This truck is averaging 35 mph over the last 500 miles.

SnarkTwain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape HEV -Maverick on order
The 2.5L HEV is constantly getting 600 to 700 miles per 14 gallon tank in the 4th gen Escapes. I have driven 720 and 780 miles on two different 14 gallon tank during a 5500 road trip. It did suck wind in the Prairie Winds only getting about 39MPG on the highway with those strong winds. I suspect the XLT Maverick on order will be similar under a load with cargo.
Ironically, it is better on highways at 50 MPH, than in the city at 25-30MPH.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This dies not work either.....one pump could be more sensitive than another on the auto stop. The most accurate is using the last 500 miles.
Well, I'm not saying that it's completely accurate, is just a trend. I think the mpg computer in the car is high. I've observed this over several tanks of fuel vs the computer. 🤷‍♂️

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I'm not saying that it's completely accurate, is just a trend. I think the mpg computer in the car is high. I've observed this over several tanks of fuel vs the computer. 🤷‍♂️
The 500 mile is usually pretty accurate

ychuck46

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Supercrew w/EcoBoost engine, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sadly the Honda is a dog, but what utility. With the blessings (of you know who) I'm looking towards the Maverick in 2025. Hybrid of course, it would be my last vehicle. I'm building a camper and hitting the road, hope to die somewhere quiet alone and not in a old folks home being abused, humiliated and robbed by low-lives at minimum wage.
I wish you the absolute best, my friend. Hope you live a long life on the road.

Sponsored

bwiese

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM 1500 quad cab V6; 2022 MavXL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your engine + dash computer calculates MPG by:
- for a given time window, add injector pulse widths (perhaps slight compensation for
open/close partial flow issues);
- multplying by injector flow rate (i.e, gallons per second at design pressure)
- divide into miles driven

Sources of error include -
- distance errors (tires, roundness, etc.)
- leaky injectors
- fuel pressure issues (bad regulator etc - but can be corrected in closed loop mode via O2 sensor)
- "sliding window" calculation function showing short term mileage piecewise
- idle time (burning gas with no motion)

Having a start/stop button (menu mode, etc.) to calculate mileage over a long term would be very interesting and could prob be done via CANbus data just by totalling injector pulsewidth times over many hours of driving.

Bill

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
However this information is picked apart, the numbers look great. Do I expect 50mpg constantly? Hell NO! But if I can average 37-40 with my driving, I'll be doing just as well as I would in my Civic. That is all that matters to me.

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On my normal commute week my average mph is ~43 and is ~375 miles. I’d love to average around 35 mpg.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't know too many people who would want a standard cab anymore these days.
My current F-150 is a regular cab. It turns shorter and easier to park. Plus it turns more heads than any vehicle I have owned.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The onboard mpg monitor in my F-150 is about 6% optimistic, did you think it would be programmed the other way.
Sponsored