brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The driver does not control when the battery gets charged. The computer does. The traction battery in a normal hybrid is not used as the primary form for propulsion unless your hybrid is like a Chevy Volt where the ICE charges the battery and the traction battery drives the wheels 100% of the time.
Yeah. I get the driver doesn't control what charges the battery. I was just interested in what research is out there about proportion of charge directly from the ICE vs regen.
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it might be more complicated than that -- the traction motor has the primary gear ratios and torque for the bulk of low-end acceleration; even with electricity generation losses of energy, it may be more efficient to use the ICE as the source for electricity generation, rather than use ICE to directly drive at low speeds? Or it might do a little bit of both at the same time?

Someone else with better knowledge can complete or refute this thought: is it true that at low speed/high torque situations, the ICE actually creates electricity through the generator motor that goes more or less directly to the traction motor to add extra ooompfh beyond what the HVbattery can feed to it? AKA "series hybrid" operation?
Thanks. That's super interesting.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah. Really, every single bit of charge comes from gas. Unless you have an electric car tow it to the top of a hill, even the regen you do going down the hill is kinetic energy that was made possible by the gas engine.
Um, that’s why I’m picking up my Maverick from a dealer in Denver. Gotta get your money’s worth out of the $1500 delivery charge.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
...waiting for the EPA #'s with beer breath...

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The driver does not control when the battery gets charged. The computer does. The traction battery in a normal hybrid is not used as the primary form for propulsion unless your hybrid is like a Chevy Volt where the ICE charges the battery and the traction battery drives the wheels 100% of the time.
Not 100% of the time with the Volt. There were still circumstances where it had the provision to mechanically drive the wheels so it wasn't purely a series hybrid.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Um, that’s why I’m picking up my Maverick from a dealer in Denver. Gotta get your money’s worth out of the $1500 delivery charge.
lol. see if they'll drop ship it to the top of mt evans.

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
Without the hybrid you'll be lucky to even get 30 on the hwy. I average 35 + in the city alone in my 100% petrol Honda. I do run premium but only to get the range, under a 11 gallon tank I'm cruising over 424 miles.

Sadly the Honda is a dog, but what utility. With the blessings (of you know who) I'm looking towards the Maverick in 2025. Hybrid of course, it would be my last vehicle. I'm building a camper and hitting the road, hope to die somewhere quiet alone and not in a old folks home being abused, humiliated and robbed by low-live
Without the hybrid you'll be lucky to even get 30 on the hwy. I average 35 + in the city alone in my 100% petrol Honda. I do run premium but only to get the range, under a 11 gallon tank I'm cruising over 424 miles.

Sadly the Honda is a dog, but what utility. With the blessings (of you know who) I'm looking towards the Maverick in 2025. Hybrid of course, it would be my last vehicle. I'm building a camper and hitting the road, hope to die somewhere quiet alone and not in a old folks home being abused, humiliated and robbed by low-lives at minimum wage.
Was told by a reliable source that both Hybrid and Ecoboost Mavericks getting way above rated mileage .

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Yeah, I also didn't factor CVT!

I'm probably the least technical person on this forum, but love the fact we can post questions and get technical expertise and recommendations from other, more knowledgeable members!

Thanks again for your insights!
eCVT not CVT :)

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Was told by a reliable source that both Hybrid and Ecoboost Mavericks getting way above rated mileage .

The Hybrid is a given, if the 2.0 gets 30 with a load that will be good. Of course only good if you can afford it. I'm somewhat amazed when I see an F-150 grocery shopping and that's about the extent of most of them out here, like 4 wheel drive that never leaves the asphalt. :)

Sponsored

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
The Hybrid is a given, if the 2.0 gets 30 with a load that will be good. Of course only good if you can afford it. I'm somewhat amazed when I see an F-150 grocery shopping and that's about the extent of most of them out here, like 4 wheel drive that never leaves the asphalt. :)
My brother used to say " It isn't a truck if it's not 4WD"

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually, my question was about what the SOC was at the start of the trial and what it was at the end -- to see if some of the energy used to get that mileage was from an overall draw-down of the battery. The level during the run doesn't answer that.

I guess that's true... If you are born at the top of the hill.;)

You may be missing the fact that regenerative braking is done by one of the electric motors acting as a generator. So "getting energy back through regenerative braking" is not a different thing from "having the motor act as a generator."

Of course, a motor can also act as a generator when turned by the ICE. But in that case the energy is obviously coming from burning fuel.
When first getting in the SOC is usually just above 1/2, but we live at the top of a 280’ hill so the battery charges to almost 100% during the 1/2 mile decent in Sport mode & ICE. There’s then usually 2 miles of stop n go before I hit the stretch of rolling hills on the backroad.on the road there’s one stop light, one stop sign and a traffic circle.
Round trip it’s about 30 miles and SOC is usually around 1/2 after climbing the hill and parking.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've always found the computer in my Ford optimistic. That being said, makes the claimed 40 city seem very likely.
When I pulse and glide my F-150( V-6 3.3l na) on rural roads and uncongested city driving the MPG's go up 2 to 3. I learned pulse and glide during the days of $4+ gas here in the midwest in 2006-2008. Every trip I make in town involves a long duration fairly steep hill at 35 mph that I "DWL" then the long downhill is about 1/2 mile with no throttle. This occurs 2 times in the first 3 miles of my usual route in town.